“Don't do it!”

Urban Chic Boutique Hotel
Ranked #92 of 111 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I had read the reviews, but thought the place would be centrally located and "fun." Others have commented on the noise, and the street noise is indeed a reality (even during the day time). However, I give this place worse marks for other elements. While waiting for my room after checking-in (admittedly, early), the managers ignored me. The woman behind the desk offered a cup of tea after 45 minutes. The place was, additionally, plain GLUM! Even the high end rooms are small and heavily worn (though bathroom and sheets were clean). If I were paying $50/night--fine. Yet this dismal place has a price-tag that suggests MUCH MORE--of anything...space, ambiance, welcoming atmosphere. It has none of these things. I checked out early.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Urban Chic Boutique Hotel

Reviewed June 28, 2013

What a lovely hotel I was shocked when I arrived at the hotel the room on the 6 floor was beautiful and big lovely onsuit breakfast was good safe you could walk around in the street from club to pubs at nite.where in the world do you have so much entertainment in one street at nite a bit noisy but you on vacation,jump on the topless bus during the day at nite go and mingle with the local and holiday makers,you on holiday music is good for the soul,put you in the holiday mood I'm in my late fiftys why would I look for quietness ,I can find that quiet time when I'm home. Any way you that tired from going out and about all day that you fall asleep,I just love the urban chic I will go back there again,staff helpful in anyway.just ask they make sure to help u.

Room Tip: 6 floor I think is the best view to die for,what more do you want .
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We were pleasently surprised from the moment we saw the position to stepping into our 5 star Room. We were in the action of Long Street even thou we are seniors we love the history and modern buildings and lifestile of Cape Town .Better than Highrise Glass Blocks Motel. We had our Wine Tour organized and needed to plan our Krugar Park 3 or 4 day experiance. The Manageress spent her time checking all our descriptions and the best way to fly, best way to stay in the park and so many details right down to car hire. When we returned from our Wine tour all our paperwork was ready to proceed with bookings, which she did because we lack computor skills.

Room Tip: Ask for back room for less Saturday night noise, if necessary.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Beryl H
Reviewed June 4, 2013

A great hotel to stay at if you are looking for that trendy, busy, vibrant city vibe. There is a lot of street noise from the pubs and clubs on Long street but that is to be expected. There are a number of great restaurants in close proximity and there are also a number of pubs where you can enjoy a social beer or four.

Facilities are decent, rooms are spacious but bar area is a little small and smokey.

Breakfast was excellent and staff in general were friendly. Off street parking is provided but it's not linked to the hotel so you need to carry your bag/s through the parking garage and into the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My wife and I spent a weekend at this hotel. The staff are friendly and accomodating. The hotel is well equipped and they serve a wholesome breakfast (Hot & Cold). The major disaster in this place is as a result of the location. On weekends the street comes alive with clubs and bars spilling their noisy patrons onto the streets. Traffic is horrendous and the noise is such that one cannot sleep until 3 a.m. On the upside the hotel does provide ear plugs! Perhaps they should consider double glazing and sound proofing. After hitting the hot spots one seeks the calm of a place of rest and this hotel failed to provide.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
UrbanChicBoutique, General Manager at Urban Chic Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear Sir

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to note that you scored us 5 out of 5 for Location and 4 out of 5 for Cleanliness and Service.

Thank you for the compliments our our staff and breakfast. We are very happy to know that we excelled in those areas.

On the noise, I would like to point out that we do not hide the fact that we are in the center of the vibrant nightlife that comprises legendary Long street. We have been compared to downtown New York and Bourbon street, both known for their nightly hubbub and parties. We pride ourselves on our location and in fact it is our main selling point. Our website and others we are listed on uses phrases such as "pulse of the city", "bustling melting pot that is Long street", "vibrant nightlife", “surrounded by Nightclubs and Bars”, and more.

We do have thickened glazing on our windows and blackout curtains which do very well to drown out most of the noise, but unfortunately some folks are just too slight sleepers and this doesn't help hence the reason we offer ear plugs should the guests require them.
We have had guests of all ages staying with us, some as old as 87 years old who have not had any issues and we have over 8000 people staying with us on average per year. It depends on what you are wanting out of the place you choose to stay. If its a peaceful, quite relaxation weekend, then unfortunately Urban Chic is not for you, and the countryside would probably be better suited to your needs.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Given the price I was paying (quite low, for a 4 star hotel), I was expecting something that didn't actually live up to the pictures and other descriptions I read. Well, I was proved wrong. The room was very spacious, the bathrooms have both a separate shower and bath, complete with bubbles and bath crystals (I've stayed in hotels with nice baths that didn't even provide any special bath additives, so this was nice to see).

The bed was big and super comfortable. This comes in handy if things do get loud down on Long Street, which they typically do. I slept so well, it didn't even matter. The only problem is, you might struggle to even get out of bed in the morning because it's so comfortable. I had that problem after a couple late nights. The location on Long Street is very convenient for a wild night out. The noise won't even matter to you if you're there to have a good time at night as well.

The housekeeping staff was also very proactively helpful. After checking in my first afternoon, a housekeeper stopped by my room to ask if there was anything else I might need. Housekeeping also knocked, called, and waited a decent amount for me before coming in my room for daily cleaning. Make sure your room comes with a "Do Not Disturb" sign for this purpose, as it might not actually be on your door. But they allowed me enough time to get my groggy self out of bed and get to the door and answer, without them barging in assuming the room must be empty (like I said, comfy beds following late nights equal difficulty getting up...). They were also good at anticipating my needs. When it was clear that I was going through the little bottle of body wash quite fast, instead of just bring one more bottle, they brought two, just in case.

I wish I could say something about the food, but I kept sleeping through breakfast and I was away during the afternoon tea/cake time. But those are provided for your enjoyment! The room also is equipped with a bottle opener and various shaped glassware, for when you just want to buy a bottle of South African wine and enjoy it in the comfort of your bedroom.

I will stay here the next time I'm in Cape Town.

Cons: the only electrical outlet was by the desk (none by the bed that I could find) and it is South African style, so if you were silly and didn't bring an adapter like me, hoping that they would at least allow for the continental European type plugs, you will have to obtain one.

Dear Sir

Thank you for your wonderful review!

We are so happy that you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and do hope that you will visit us again sometime in the future.

If we do not see you again, we wish you and your family a happy and prosperous life!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

The decision whether to stay here is simple. If you want to literally sleep above the noisiest block of Africa's biggest party street this is the place to be. You are literally footsteps from the bars with the most consistent crowds on Long Street. No transportation required. However, the downside to this is if you are trying to get an early start the next morning you will need to good ear plugs because it is loud all night. Another benefit of staying here is the parking garage.

I probably would of given the place 3 stars if it was not for a few unfortunate issues. I checked in on Saturday night when Long Street's atmosphere was at its zenith. The issue was the manager one shift that night took that attitude inside and had extremely loud music playing to the point we could not talk. Somehow we managed to check in (not before my card got ran twice). The other issue was I was the very first day my backpack was rifled through by the cleaning lady. Luckily I put all my valuables in the safe. I knew it was rifled through because I made sure all the zippers were fastened, when I came back after breakfast all the zippers were open. She did not even try to hide it.

Overall the location has its benefits and they cannot control the noise levels, but Urban Chic needs to have a better handle on the discipline of its staff.

Room Tip: The hotel is on the corner, so the room not directly facing Long Street may be quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
UrbanChicBoutique, General Manager at Urban Chic Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear Sir,

With regards to your observations on the noise, I would just like to point out that we pride ourselves on our location and in fact it is our main selling point. Our website uses phrases such as "pulse of the city", "bustling melting pot that is Long street", "vibrant nightlife", “surrounded by Nightclubs and Bars”, and more. We have been likened to New Orleans' Bourbon street and downtown New York City - a fact we are very proud of.
So yes, you are correct in saying that it depends on what you are looking for; I have had guests over 80 years of stay however who have enjoyed it immensely!

Our restaurant and bar is outsourced to a third party, and at the time of your stay, he was indeed taking advantage and operating the bar like a Nightclub on Friday and Saturday nights! This however has been rectified as a result of too many guest complaints and is no longer allowed and so therefore it no longer happens. I apologise your experience of this.

I wish that you had brought the incident that occurred with your bags to my attention during your stay so that we could have handled it there and then. Without a proper investigation, by checking our CCTV cameras to check who was responsible for cleaning your room, it is difficult to take disciplinary action against anyone.
It is very unfair to make a broad generalisation on our staff however, due to one bad apple.

Overall, I thank you for your feedback and do hope you will give us another chance when next you come to Cape Town.