“Great Hotel, Great Location”

Urban Chic Boutique Hotel
Ranked #91 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Brentwood, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, Great Location”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel (Feb 2013) and was not disappointed..
Upon arrival the reception staff ( Gareth ) was very welcoming with pointing out the surrounding area, and advising on tours that may be suitable.

The rooms are clean with fantastic views of table top mountain, and great for people watching on Long Street. Yes, this hotel is on Long Street and you might need some earplugs with your stay at Urban Chic, due to location with bars and restaurants on your door step..
Don't let this put you off from staying here - Long Street has a lot to offer with a great atmosphere, food and drink to be had..
After a long day sight seeing having restaurants & bars on your door step is a blessing... You could also try the hotels restaurant and bar, which make fab cocktails ( especially mojito )

The hotel, also has car parking which is a bonus !! Parking in Cape Town is not the easiest.
Great Hotel, Great Staff, Clean Rooms.. I would go back again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JASON R
UrbanChicBoutique, General Manager at Urban Chic Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Sir

Thank you so much for the glowing review of our establishment!

We are so happy to see that you have already booked your next stay with is for next year and we are looking forward to welcoming you back!

Wishing you good health and happiness until we see you again!

Siranne van Onselen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The location of this hotel is amazing. It is in the hub of all the bars and restaurants. Partying on Longstreet is world class but living in it can be frustrating. Every night of the week, the loud music and revelry goes on until 4:30am, making it extremely difficult to get any rest.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ma'am

Thank you very much for your review. It is great to know that you loved our location and that you enjoyed your stay!

I guess it depends on the person - I can sleep through anything, while my husband cannot. We have over 8000 guests staying with us a year and probably 1% of those complain about the noise and in fact most of them book us because this is where they want to be.

If we don’t see you again, I wish you and your family a happy, healthy and prosperous 2013!

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed at the Urban on the last night of our holiday and wanted to experience life on Long Street. I made my booking through booking.com. When i made the booking it was for a superior double... On arrival i can honestly say that the receptionist "Gareth" was the most soured person i could of met, he didn't not welcome us with open arms well in all honesty there was no welcome. I showed him i had made my booking through booking.com, he was adamant that payment has not been made, i checked through my bank account after having to pay cash as my card supposedly wasn't registering with their machine, i had already paid for the room which had already come of my card, which i had to get refunded through my bank. When i arrived to my room it was not a superior double room but a room with 2 single beds pushed together as the headboards did not match up with the bed itself. There were hairs in the bath and stains all over the carpet, the room was spacious but it wasn't the room i had booked in the 1st place. Don't stay here if you are looking for an early night, the bars have their music on full blast to around 2 to 3am. When having breakfast the following morning i had opted for the full english only for when it arrived on the table the only item of food that was hot was the eggs the rest of it was cold in which i told the waitress to tell the chef that i wasn't happy with it. Urban Chic was once maybe a great hotel to stay but this hotel needs revamping as it doesn't look as good as it does on the website. Will definately not be willing to stay here again in a hurry... Stayed in several hotels in Cape Town and this was not value for money or for what i paid for!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure your getting what you pay for.... Don't have a room on the front facing onto Long Stre...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Darren R
UrbanChicBoutique, General Manager at Urban Chic Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Sir

I would like to address certain points in your review which I feel are not justified and easily explained.

With regards to the payment that had not been taken when you arrived at the hotel, please be aware that usually when we receive bookings from Booking.com on the same day of arrival, we do not take the payment when we receive the booking as we want to allow the guest the option of payment method when they arrive at the hotel. No payment had been taken from the credit card details provided by the time you had arrived, and as per hotel procedure, payment must be obtained from guest's at check-in if payment has not already been taken.
I have meticulously checked our credit card machine batch reports for the day in question and no payments were taken from the credit card details provided to Booking.com. Please forward your bank statement to accounts@urbanchic.co.za if you would like to further dispute this.

My apologies for the fact that you were not allocated the room that you had booked. Unfortunately at the time of receiving your booking, we had already sold all our Superior Double rooms and the one that you were allocated was the only room left. This is no excuse, but regrettable none the less.

With regards to your observations on the noise, I would just like to point out that we pride ourselves on our location and in fact it is our main selling point. Our website uses phrases such as "pulse of the city", "bustling melting pot that is Long street", "vibrant nightlife", “surrounded by Nightclubs and Bars”, and more. We have been likened to New Orleans' Bourbon street and downtown New York City - a fact we are very proud of. Bear in mind that it is also season time, so Long street is busier than its normal busy and so a little more noise than normal is to expected.

In saying this, we cannot be held responsible for guests not researching the area properly before booking. Our floor to ceiling windows and sliding doors have thickened glazing and black out curtains which do well to drown out most of the noise. Guests that want peace and tranquility should instead book accommodation in the countryside.

I have taken your complaint about breakfast up with our restaurant operators as I agree that this is unacceptable. Please accept my apology on this point.

Overall, I take exception to your statement about the hotel needing "revamping" and "not looking as great as it does on the website" If you read our other reviews on tripadvisor and other websites, you will notice that your opinion vastly differs from 90% of our guests that have stayed with us. I do think that the title of your review, "First Impressions last" is an apt one in this case, as I feel that because you had a bad experience when checking in, you have decided that everything about the hotel is not to your liking, which I don't think is fair.

Travelers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

West Country
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Spent several nights in this hotel in April 2012. Very good, comfortable accomodation although a bit noisy due to several late night venues in the immediate vicinity. Somewhat limited choice of cuisine in what I believe was an independant bar and dining facility within the hotel building. The lady proprietor was, however, most accomodating and was able to come up with meals that were to my wife's liking which could not have been easy when faced with a guest who does not like rice, noodles or spiced food of any sort.mWell worth a consideration.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir

Thank you so much for your feedback!

I see you scored us 5/5 for rooms and service and 4 out of 5 for value, location and cleanliness - I'm so happy that we could make your stay an enjoyable one!

I will certainly pass on your positive feedback to our restaurant manager as well!

johannesburg
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Very spacious rooms, decorated with premium finishes. So special to have so much luxury in such a raw urban environment. On the door step of many hip bars and clubs. Almost perfect, apart the very average breakfast. It's definitely the kind of hotel I would strongly recommend to all my contacts.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank laurentjhb
Dear Sir

Thank you so much for your positive review! We certainly hope you will be back!

I see you scored us a 5/5 for location and value and 4/5 for Rooms, service and cleanliness; I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Lilongwe, Malawi
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My wife and i booked from the 28/12/2012 till the 04/01/2013 and had such a great experience! We had booked the superior king room and it was clean and spacious and the best part was the panoramic views of table mountain and the city and for those who commented about the noise it's part of Long street and it's not so bad! We would gladly without hesitation stay at the Urban Chic hotel everytime we are in Cape Town!

Thank you to the Urban Chic Hotel for a wonderful and comfortable holiday!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed at this hotel from Jan 3-7 2013. It's located in a historical and totally fun part of Cape Town. The staff were so warm and accommodating and the rooms were spacious, stylish and clean. The noise at night is loud (it seems the most popular nightclub is directly across the street), but somehow our entire family haven't slept better!! Our rooms also had a lovely view of Table Mountain. Staying at this hotel gives you a real Cape Town city life experience and we would do it again.

Room Tip: I think all rooms have a view