“fabulous gem”

Ranked #59 of 155 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
london
“fabulous gem”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I've been back to this guesthouse a number of times (well once a year when I visit South Africa (and Cape Town specifically). Each time I am reminded of why I don't even bother looking for other accommodation. Joe and Marius are superb hosts, go totally above and beyond what's required in terms of organising trips, helpful advice re: restuarants and things to do. The rooms are great value for money - the breakfast is lovely ... and the bottle of wine in the bedroom fridge hits the right note!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Nairobi, Nairobi Area, Kenya
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Staying at the guesthouse was definitely a major positive contribution to our visit to Cape Town.
Joe and Marius are super friendly and helpful and the guesthouse itself has a very warm and pleasant atmosphere. Breakfast was so nice and healthy and the room very clean and crisp.
The area in which the guesthouse is located is very nice as well. It's just a short walk to the ocean and good restaurants and shops are very near. Also public transport is nearby, so if you don't like walking long distance, the Waterfront and the city center are accessible with very little effort.
For us the guesthouse was a perfect choice, absolutely value for money and if we are going to visit Cape Town again, Mountview Spa and Guesthouse will be our choice of accommodation!

Room Tip: If you are after a room with a view, then this might not be the perfect place for you. However, if a...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Netherlands
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Absolutely perfect location to walk to the restaurants in Sea Point and the boulevard. It takes about 1 hour to walk to V&A Waterfront, but it's a nice walk along the sea.
Marius & Joe are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is good. The house is decorated with care. It's nice to have the pool after a warm day. Those are all the plusses where I would rate it Excellent.

Minus, that's why I go for average:
The guesthouse is located at a busy street, we were not used to that, so used ear plugs which isn't very romantic.
Furthermore, the rooms are very noisy, you can hear everything from the other rooms, also not very romantic.
And during an extremely warm Cape Town night, we really missed airconditioning. There's a fan that makes a lot of noise, we had the window open, but the room became so hot, it was not comfortable at all.
We had a room where shower & toilet are in the bedroom, with a milky glass wall so you can't see through, but you can hear everything. It takes away all the privacy you sometimes need.

Although I really liked the location and the hosts, I don't think I would come back here. I have mixed feelings about it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado, United States
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Though the "view" part of "Mountview" was missing, this is a great place to stay in Cape Town. Marius and Joe went above and beyond in providing assistance with sightseeing and with changes in my travel plans, and the morning breakfast staff were always warm and welcoming with cheerful smiles to start the day.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I knew I was being optimistic hoping for a view of the mountain from the B&B when I booked, I know not to take their names and descriptions too literally, however I was not expecting not to be able to see anything from my room due to the fact it had no windows at all!! Not only was there no natural light but also no decorations on the walls or even a mirror, it felt very depressing.

We arrived at the B&B @11pm, I had given prior notice we would be arriving at this time and I was told via text, a key would be left in the letter box for me. I had to send several Qs via text before i got all the info about where to park, how to get into the property and where my room would be. I was dissapointed and worried noone would be around when we arrived in the dark, but I was willing to let it go as the reviews all made me hope this B&B would be superb. Unfortunately not so.

After staying the first night in the room with no windows or decor, I asked the owner if he had rooms with windows, he was very obliging in moving us, however the improvement was at the expense of now having a room with the toilet and shower in the corner of the bedroom. This bathroom area was only partitioned from the room by a frosted glass pain that did not go to the ceiling. Not being able to segregate bathroom sounds and smells from the bedroom is not pleasant.

Breakfast did not improve things at all. For the money paid for this place I was hoping for a cooked option, or at least variety between the days. Unfortunately breakfast consisted of melrose processed cheese, processed meat and some fruit and yogurt both days.

Paul was helpfull enough, finding out castle tour times and booking a table for tea for us. The place was clean and the communal areas tastefully decorated, however on the bed and breakfast aspects, they fell woefully short. If you cannot offer rooms with windows, or rooms with properly partitioned bathrooms, or a decent breakfast you need to offer cheaper rates

Room Tip: You can have a room with no window but seperate bathroom or have 1 small window and have the bathroo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank L0ve2trav3l
joe6000, Owner at Mountview Spa and Guest House, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
It is regretful that the guest did not enjoy her 2 day stay.The guest called regarding accommodation and requested a discount. I advised the guest that it was our busiest time of the year and that it was not possible. The guest reluctuctantly agreed and said that it would be a late arrival. I told the guest that I would make an arrangement about leaving the keys as I would be unavailable that evening.She seemed fine with the arrangement considering it was a last minute booking.
The guest was advised later where the keys would be for collection. The room where the guest was booked in has a skylight roof allowing natural light that leads through a glass door into the separate bathroom that has windows. The bathroom is a brand new added annexure that is separate and they were given a king size bed at no extra charge. The next morning the guest queried the rate again after it was agreed.
The guest stayed for a total of two days. There is a big choice at breakfast. The breakfast comprises of 4 different cereals, various yoghurts, fruit and fruit salad,2 juices, cheeses, various cold cuts, jams, various mustards and other condiments, coffee and various teas, various breads and different sweets. It is changed regularly but due to their short stay they did not enjoy this change over unfortunately.
We apologise that the guest did not enjoy herself. Our rates are very competitive with other guest houses of the same quality and standard plus we do have more facilities available that are free ie the pool, jacuzzi and sauna. We always seek to improve and we will be doing more improvements this season with all the glass bathrooms being fully enclosed and more extensions to some of the rooms.
Habsheim, France
Reviewed March 22, 2012

It was a nice stay in a great city. Joe and Marius are very helpful.
They made all to feel like home.
They can arrange days tours and airport shuttle.
Unforgettable for my first to south africa.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
chilterns
Reviewed March 17, 2012

We spent a total of 6 early February nights at this guest house, separated by a 4 day trip along the Garden Route, and were extremely well looked after. Marius in particular was just so helpful that he took any admin/trip organisation/car hire off of your hands and sorted it all out with no fuss.

We were also able to leave much of our luggage at the guest house whilst we explored Knysna etc during our garden route break, and again when we had a late flight on our final day. Nothing was too much trouble.

The rooms were very clean and comfortable, and I think as others have said the only possible "issue" was the the frosted glass bathroom which some might find a bit disconcerting! Not a problem at all for us though. Continental breakfasts were good and fresh without being lavish, but still represented what we were expecting within the very reasonable cost.

But for us, this was all about a laid back atmosphere where excellent and attentive service without ever being overbearing was achieved with natural skill by Marius.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple