“Good location and very friendly staff”
Review of Fountains Hotel

Fountains Hotel
Ranked #88 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed January 18, 2013

As a mature female travelling solo to Capetown for the first time safety was a concern. I need not have worried! This hotel was well situated and, once I had orientated myself to the area, I was able to walk to many of the main attractions (Waterfront, Bo Kaap, Museums, Company Gardens, District Six, Long Street etc.) with no problems. In terms of the hotel I suppose it depends on what it is you require. I usually avoid 'posh' hotels as I find it difficult to interact with other guests and I see a hotel as a base to sleep so as long as it is clean and welcoming then this does for me.The Fountains Hotel staff were all excellent and at no time did I ever feel uncomfortable eating or sitting in the bar area alone. All staff smiled and greeted me whenever I was there and they were all very helpful. The breakfast buffet offered a wide range of choice and was a good way to start the day. The hotel was busy whilst I was there and guests came from a wide range of countries, which I think improves the experience. Rooms were clean and although mine overlooked the fountains on the main road my sleep was never disturbed by traffic noise. Although the bathrooms have been updated there is still some room for improvement. The shower was always hot, the water pressure was good and shower gel and hand wash was provided. Plenty of clean towels were provided daily. However the accessories and general décor let it down. The small pedal bin in my bathroom was broken and every time I used it the lid fell off and the plug in the sink and bath did not function too well. There was a retractable washing line over the bath which I found useful if I did some hand washing. There is an ironing room but, as someone else has stated in a review, the 2 irons available are designed for normal domestic use and not 'heavy' use. These need to be more robust and have longer cords. One issue the hotel need to address is the Wi-Fi access as I was under the impression when I booked that this was free when it is not. The 1st 100mb are free and then there is a fee once this has been used. When I questioned that Wi-Fi was advertised online as being free I was shown the information on the reception desk which indicates that it is not - that said though, charges were not ridiculously high, as they are in many hotels! The lifts can be a tad slow. However, whereas I think a 4 star rating is a bit generous (maybe a 3) for what I paid for my 15 night stay I feel this hotel was good value and my stay was definitely enhanced by the fabulous staff. The water dispenser in the main lobby is an asset as there is constant access to free cold water.

Room Tip: Perhaps avoid the ones straight opposite the lifts?
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank boffin116

Reviewed January 15, 2013

My husband and I had recently booked a holiday in Cape Town and we had the unpleasant experience of the fountains hotel. We had searched the place on the internet prior to booking. Their site gives you the impression of a lovely 4 star hotel........What a FALSE impression!!!
Upon arrival, there was confusion about parking, there was no service to help with the luggage and the reception staff was very unfriendly. The room service was pathetic to say the least, we had to go fetch our own order, The fittings in the room and bathroom were all falling off. The hotel has an ironing room, with 2 irons (the hotel has over a 100 rooms!) and they both didn't work. After complaining about the poor service, absolutely nothing was done. The reception staff had poor manners and failed to give us details like guests get free limited internet access but instead wanted us to pay for it.
Overall this hotel is poor and I would not recommend it to anyone. It definitely was a very disappointing experience. The hotel rates itself as a 4 star, but I've been to 3 star hotels that was in much better condition with better services then this. This hotel should be rated a low 3 star to 2 star. If you are looking for a good time in Cape Town, DON'T GO to Fountains Hotel!!!!!!

Room Tip: Room was disappointing with no views
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nalini N
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Should loose a star.
Carpet burnt. Waited 6 days for washbasin plug that never arrived. Lights kept fusing and repair was put off as electrician was on leave.

Poor condition and not worth the rating.

Would I stay there again? No
Would I reccommend? No

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Leon B
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I've stayed here once a month (3 nights each time) for the last 6 months and always found the staff very friendly and helpful. The rooms have been fantastic (admittedly they have given me an upgrade to a suite each time) - large clean and with a view either of the square or the fountains. The food is always excellent too. I'll be back in January - can't wait!

Room Tip: The higher up, the better (it's quieter)
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rod_Frowein
Reviewed December 17, 2012

While I've rated my stay 4 star, the hotel is probably more a 3 - 3.5 star - it is mainly let down by the condition of the carpets and the elevators. It is positioned in downtown Cape Town and walking distance to all the shops and restaurants and the waterfront. Only about 7 minutes walk to the bus station where the airport bus comes into. So it's an excellent location.

The hotel lobby was very nice and modern and I was offered complimentary orange juice on arrival. Something very few hotels do (unless you're in some Asian countries!). The restaurant was positioned off the lobby with doors to an outside sitting area. This made it very airy and with the Sun shining in, in the morning, made it a nice place to eat. The breakfast was ample and tasted fine.

My room was small but clean with flat screen TV and comfortable bed plus in-room safe. No view from the room as the window looked out to an internal yard area of the hotel with just windows from other rooms facing into it. Bathroom was modern and very clean. The service from the hotel staff was very courteous and friendly.

As mentioned, the things that do need updating in the hotel are the elevators and the carpets. Also it would be good for the cleaning staff to position their trolleys so that guests can get past them easily. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank STPU
Reviewed December 1, 2012

i recently came back from an exchange too cape twon and we stayed at the fountains hotel. i would recommend a stay hear as it was such a lovely place the rooms were clean lining was always fresh, breakfast was beautiful (especially the scrambbled egg and chocolate chipped muffins.) also the staff were so friendly they would put a smile on your face every morning and come and say hello and have a conversation especially (thys) the staff even came out side and waved us of as we left. i had an amazing stay and if i ever return to cape town in the future (which i hope to) then i would pick hear too stay!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank WalesAndallthatjazz
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This hotel was not anything compared to what I had expected, I have stayed in standard bed and breakfasts that topped the Fountains Hotel Experience by a long way.
Our room had the view of a closed backyard concrete area that had a leaking drain.
It catered for paraplegic only – lower peep hole/door handle and lock than average, large pull toilet handle. This was highly embarrassing and an insult!
When I asked at the reception upon confirming the booking and payment, they had never communicated that I would be staying in an inferior room.
After checking in and seeing what awaited me, I went down to the reception and asked if I could pay to be upgraded, they very rudely told me that they were full.
I expressed my concern to the manager only to be told that I can go stay somewhere else but I would forfeit my money.
Quality was terrible, management was terrible, I will never ever stay there again, I would never recommend them and they have just lost our companies business as well.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
FountainsGM, General Manager at Fountains Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Andrea P
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. It saddens me to see that you were not satisfied with the room you received. Unfortunately the Fountains Hotel was fully booked and thus we could not accommodate you with an alternative room or even an upgrade to one of our apartments.
I have addressed your concerns with the relevant parties and I can assure your concerns are taken to heart. I do hope that you did make use of the complimentary internet that we offer our guests as well as the bottomless chilled water that we offer guests as well. This complimentary water is part of our environmentally friendly initiative and it goes through long process to ensure that it is as pure and refreshing as can be.
Please contact me upon your next visit to Cape Town to ensure that the Fountains Hotel can meet all your expectations.
Kind Regards

Hotel on St Georges
Hotel on St Georges
#75 of 110 in Cape Town Central
Park Inn by Radisson Cape Town Foreshore
Park Inn by Radisson Cape Town F...
#48 of 110 in Cape Town Central
The New Tulbagh Hotel
The New Tulbagh Hotel
#97 of 110 in Cape Town Central
Radisson Blu Hotel & Residence Cape Town
Hollow On The Square Cape Town City Hotel
Hollow On The Square Cape Town C...
#79 of 110 in Cape Town Central

Been to Fountains Hotel? Share your experiences!