“Home away from home”

Hippo Boutique Hotel
Ranked #60 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I stay at Hippo Boutique often, as I am required to travel to CT for work, and always love my time at Hippo. The staff are amazing and always make me feel like I am arriving "home". The Hippo team are so warm and welcoming and the extended staff at Manos and surrounding restaurants also add to the overall experience. I love the suites! I have tried the Red Bull suite which is divine and has the best view! The Mini Cooper suite is gorgeous too, the décor is chic and the space is lovely. Hippo never forget the small touches like hot chocolate & mini marshmellow room drops in winter. I just love my home away from home.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Hippotique, General Manager at Hippo Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2014

Dear Cindy Lee W,

The compliments you have given to our property just blew us away, and our entire team is overwhelmed and humbled by your praise! Knowing that you felt "home away from home" is exactly what we wish all our guests to experience.
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and sharing it for others to read!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hippo Boutique Hotel (your home away from home)soon!

Reviewed July 15, 2014

I have stayed at the Hippo twice for on business and can't recommend it highly enough. The staff are the most friendly and helpful you will find anywhere and nothing is too much trouble for them.
I had a small issue with the plumbing but it was fixed by the time I returned to my room the same day. They will even arrange airport pick up which makes life even easier. I have recommended this hotel to colleagues who have been equally impressed.

Room Tip: The 2 storey suites are amazing but have the bath in the room. Very cool though.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Hippotique, General Manager at Hippo Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Dear Mumbers,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your recent stay at Hippo Boutique Hotel! The team is thrilled to hear your feedback and I am proud to know that our guests leave here knowing that the Hippo Staff will always go above and beyond for our guests.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Hippo Boutique Hotel again soon!

With kind regards,

Reviewed June 20, 2014

Had a great stay but when I suggest when checking in, ask what time the check out will be otherwise you will be charged an additional R800 for late check out. Enjoyed my stay though. Rooms where clean and the suite was great.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Hippotique, General Manager at Hippo Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear Leon Ayo L,

Thank you for your positive review and for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. We take our guests feedback seriously as a way to know what we are doing right but more importantly what can be improved on.
Hippo Boutique Hotel operates on regular check out time of 11h00. We are flexible with this time and are happy to assist with late departures where possible. A late departure fee is only charged when the hotel is running high occupancies and/or departure time is well after 11h00.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to Hippo Boutique Hotel in the near future!

Should I be of any assistance, please feel free to contact me directly as it will only be a pleasure to assist.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Have been using the Hippo for business trips over the last few weeks and have been more than impressed with the staff, the service and the rooms. The rooms are large with a kitchenette so you can spend time in the room in comfort if you wish, which can be a bonus when you are in a place for any length of time and dont necessarily feel like going to a restaurant. Breakfast is served in one of the restaurants below and is sufficient for most tastes. The bars and restaurants underneath the hotel seem to have very strict closing times so the noise is kept to a minimum late at night. The staff on reception booked a private trip to a winery and Cape Point/Cape of Good Hope which was well worth the money, even though it was not expensive. As I say 'a great place to stay !'

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Hippotique, General Manager at Hippo Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Dear Neil F,

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel!

My Team and I are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Hippo Boutique Hotel when next your travels take you to Cape Town! We should welcome another opportunity to show you the Hippo Boutique Hotel Hospitality at its best!

Reviewed May 19, 2014

I spent 4 nights at the hyppo recently, for a business trip, and I can say it's just a great experience, way better than the traditional business hotel, this place it young, cool and it's really great value. I'll definitively come back soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear dalmata22,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent stay at Hippo Boutique Hotel! The Hippo Team and I are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and agree, life is too short to stay in boring hotels!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Hippo Boutique Hotel when next your travels bring you to Cape Town!

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Great location, close to all the shops, bars & restaurants for a vibey night out.
The rooms need maintenance (small things) and our window looked onto a wall which we were disappointed about as we'd seen the rooms on the website that had better views, so pay extra for a view! Lovely morning breakfast at the restaurant underneath the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Hippotique, General Manager at Hippo Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Dear cherilady,

The Hippo Boutique Hotel team would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We value guest feedback and take any kind of feedback constructively to improve where needed.

I am pleased to confirm that we currently have a maintenance project underway throughout the hotel. I am sorry to hear about your disappointment about the view you had, please don't hesitate to ask for me personally when booking your next reservation and I will be happy to ensure you are rewarded with the best views the Hippo has to offer!

Hippo Boutique Hotel

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Stayed here last weeked - what a great evening spent, local bars ( there is a great spot just outside, the fat cactus. FUN! ) after a big night out, its nice to come back to a comfy bed, would definitely be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hippotique, General Manager at Hippo Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2014

Dear Heatherza,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent stay at Hippo Boutique Hotel! The Hippo Team and I are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay as well as the Restaurant, Fat Cactus, on site!

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future to experience another big night out celebrating or if it is just a well deserved lie in on the weekend in our comfy beds!

Kind regards,