All reviews washer dryer full kitchen apartment style living room rooms are huge apartment hotel rooftop pool extra space front desk staff safe walk minute walk walking distance location is great home away from home late at night yogurt bo kaap
Selected filters
Reviewed August 9, 2019

It's hard to find something wrong with a place that is centrally located, clean, friendly and has apartments for the price of a regular room at comparable hotels. It's not a large hotel and is kind of hidden away from the main road but it's worth staying here.

The rooms are large, comfortable and very spacious. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Ubers are very cheap for transit from this location so going about in the evening was very easy. They have a happy hour each day that we visited and for the most part were the only ones there and I don't believe we ever saw anyone in the dinning room at night. I don't know if this says anything or not, because with so many great restaurants in Cape Town, why would you want to eat at a hotel anyway. The breakfast on the other hand was very nice albeit with a pretty slow service. We would stay here again happily.

Date of stay: July 2019
Zee I, General Manager at Protea Hotel Cape Town North Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2019

Dear RC30319,

On behalf of the entire hotel team, we want to thank you for sharing your most memorable experiences with us during your recent stay at the Protea Hotel Cape Town North Wharf.

Thank you for staying at the Protea Hotel Cape Town North Wharf and we hope you choose to create more memories here whenever your travels bring you back to Cape Town.

General Manager.

Reviewed July 25, 2019 via mobile

I had a business meeting at the hotel this evening and afterwards my wife and I decided to have dinner there as it was not only convenient but also entertainer friendly. Lets be honest entertainer is great and if not why not.
We sat down just after 19:00, the restaurant was completely empty. The waitress could not understand a word we were saying through broken english we managed to place an order. One line fish @R165 and the recommended 300g Pork ribs @R160. Not to overly priced. After 45 mins the waitress returned for the first time with our food. Both dishes looked presentable but not very large. The fish was slightly overdone but still enjoyable. The ribs on the other hand was extremely dissapointing.
Ive had ribs at many restaurants and today was a first. (The bones were larger than normal with hardly any meat on.. not their fault) what indeed spoilled the experience was that it was under done. The blood was still clearly visible. When I asked to speak to the chef she came out and said what wrong. I said that i was not satisfied with the ribs. She merely mumbled in xhosa and turned her back and walked away. It was the worst food ive had in a very long time.

Dont waste your money here. They do not take pride in their work nor do they care for their customers and quality of food. This explains the lack of customers.

Sies...

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Zee I, General Manager at Protea Hotel Cape Town North Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2019

Dear Andreas B,

We appreciate your business and value your honest feedback. Your comments have been shared with the hotel team as a critical way of understanding how we can continue to deliver exceptional service to guests like you.

Thank you for staying at the Protea Hotel Cape Town North Wharf.

Reviewed June 27, 2019

The front desk staff was really friendly and helpful. Thabisa from housekeeping was just as pleasant. She actually seemed like she was excited to help and seemed happy to being of service to us. This place really felt like a home away from home and I will definitely stay here again.

Room tip: Rooms facing the convention center have a bigger balcony.
Date of stay: June 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Zee I, General Manager at Protea Hotel Cape Town North Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2019

Dear lele1432,

Please note your feedback has been shared with the hotel team as a critical way of understanding how we can continue to deliver great experiences. Thank you again for staying at the Protea Hotel Cape Town North Wharf and we hope you choose to create more memories here whenever your travels bring you back to Cape Town.

Reviewed June 12, 2019

Booked here for four nights using Marriott points as the start of an African Family trip. Upon arriving at the hotel we were immediately greeted and provided with our one bedroom suite as we booked. The front desk staff apologized for not having any available upgrades to a two bedroom suite but confirmed we could move after our second night if we wished.

The suite we had was very roomy with a full kitchen and washer and dryer which was fantastic for a family on three week vacation with carry on only. There was a separate one bedroom with King bed and lots of closet space. Our two kids had beds made up on the living room each evening by hotel staff with pillows, sheets and blankets.

Rooms have been updated and had all the modern amenities one would expect. Front desk staff provided loaner electrical adapters so we were able to charge all devices in the room. Wifi was complimentary and good throughout the hotel.

There is a small roof top pool which has a nice view of downtown, we did not use it as it was pretty cool in the evenings and don't believe the pool is heated.

As a Titanium Elite member we were afforded complimentary breakfast which was a full breakfast including omellete station each morning.

After our second night we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite which had one bedroom with a king bed and ensuite and another bedroom had two single beds for our boys with another main bathroom. Once again full kitchen and washer and dryer as well as large living room and large balcony overlooking the square below.

There was some construction during our stay as indicated by the front desk staff when we checked in, it was only during the communicated hours of 9am to around 3pm.

During our entire stay the staff was amazing. This hotel is well situated for walking to restaurants and bars along Kloof Street as well as easy walk to the Wharf and lots of restaurants, bars, shops and the shopping mall.

We found this to be a great location and was a great start to our African Adventure, would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay again.

Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Stinger55
Reviewed June 5, 2019

Great location by V&A Waterfront. Can walk to V&A or take a quick Uber if it's night, lots of coffee shops around for breakfast (although it's a business type area so options are more limited and open later on weekends). Room was huge, booked a standard room and was upgraded to 1 bedroom suite due to my gold status with Marriott. Washing machine was so nice- even if it was very small and quite quirky. Maxed out capacity at 4-5 shirts. It says was it at "40" but I found "30" worked just fine for my shirts and was done about 20 mins quicker. Don't bother trying to dry, it has a great spin cycle on it so just hang your clothes to dry (I tried to wash a jacket and had to pull it partway through the cycle and even though I reset it to wash I ended up with bone dry- but clean- shirts. Quirky.) Despite a complete kitchen I wouldn't have wanted to actually try cooking anything as the glassware I saw was not clean so I don't imagine anything else in the kitchen is properly cleaned. (They do say the front desk can help you with the dish washer if you really want to use the kitchen though.) I would stay again due to the location and space.

Date of stay: May 2019