“Best place I've found in Cape Town”

17 on Loader Guest House
Ranked #126 of 156 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 19, 2009

I have stayed in Cape Town for a few days every year since about 1996. I've seen a lot of changes in Cape Town and the Western Cape. Generally, the prices of tourist accommodations have increased far more rapidly than the quality. 17 on Loader is an exception. My wife and i stayed in 2 different rooms and both were clean and well furnished at the start and end of our journey. The staff was friendly and efficient. The breakfast was excellent. The location is second-to-none. The price was certainly reasonable compared to local hotels and competitive in the small area where Loader is situated. It is a very safe location, as well.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 17, 2009

Unfortunately I only stayed for 3 days, but had a lovely time. After a hard day's work it was great to get "home" every evening and sit in the common lounge and relax.

I'm a very critical traveler - I can tell you what's not right about the Cipriani - so when I have no critisism, my friends and colleagues are really surprized!

I found everything clean and neat and very elegant. A breakfast basket outside my door at 7am meant I didn't have to face breakfast traffic downstairs.

In Cape Town, where friendly service is often lacking, this was indeed a refreshing experience.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 10, 2009

After traveling to SA last Christmas we knew we had to go back! We chose this year to stay in the Waterkant area, and 17 on Loader was perfect--close to shops and restaurants, felt safe to walk in the evening, our car was safe parked on the street! The staff was helpful and easy to talk to, without being overbearing and in our face. Our room felt private and spacious with a great bathroom! Loved the upstairs outdoor patio. Great place to sit and read, eat breakfast, and enjoy the view up to Table Mountain. Highly recommend this B&B, and try to stay for more than one night!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2009

Was at "17" last November and i can definitely recommend it. I was a week in Cape Town with a good friend of mine and both of us were treated very well. The staff is exceptionally friendly and courteous. I hadn't much contact with the owner but he gave us some useful tips for sightseeing and restaurants. All in all the atmosphere at this guest house was uniquely good.

The location of "17" (called "De Waterkant") is central but still quiet and very safe (Private Security Service), at least i never felt unsafe.

The rates are very reasonable compared to what is offered.

Will definitely come back as it was probably my best holiday for a long time. Thanks to "17" and its great team.

Bernhard

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank BernhardAustria
Reviewed November 11, 2008

After staying at 17 on Loader once before, and having a very enjoyable stay, it was an easy decision to make to book our holiday accommodation at 17 on Loader in Cape Town.

Unfortunately, this time around, our stay at 17 on Loader was very disappointing, and service was frankly not up to standard.

1) We were given the wrong room for the first night. Eventhough we booked months in advance and paid for a double bed and en-suite room, we were put in a room with two single beds and no en-suite bathroom because of a 'mix up' with their bookings. No compensation was offered.

2) No clean linen seems to be given to guests, irrespective of how long you stay. Bathroom towels don't seem to be changed at all. Every B+B, hotel and guest house I've stayed in before change the bath towels on a regular basis. All the linen is generally tatty and need replacing too.

3) Room 19C, where we stayed, is located just off one of the main lounges / communal areas at 17 on Loader. Expect to be woken up at 7am every morning by other guests and staff, and equally being kept awake at night.

Overall, a very disappointing stay at 17 on Loader!

SJ

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sjamies
Reviewed April 19, 2008

We stayed in 17 on Loader for the first 6 nights of a recent stay in Cape Town. As with some other reviews, there was nothing special about the Guest House but for what we wanted – a safe, clean base for exploring the city – this place was perfect.

We had the downstairs room which had its own separate entrance which we liked. The place was very secure and I liked the fact that the streets surrounding the guest house were also patrolled by security. The only downside about this room was that it was right next to the stairs up to the main entrance and so I was awoken by people coming in later than us a couple of evenings.

Other positives though were the nice basket breakfast which is left outside your room each morning, the honesty system with drinks from the fridge and the roof terrace which was a nice place to sit after a busy day and have a beer. The guest house is also very close (3 min walk) to Cape Quarter, which had some lovely restaurants – I’d recommend Andiamo and the Spanish restaurant, Fiesta.

The place was pretty quiet most of the time and staff not readily available, although they were friendly when present. We would have liked access to a phone in order to call for taxis as we had to use our mobile which was expensive.

We would recommend this place as a good base to explore Cape Town confident in a safe, clean, convenient place to return to at the end of a tiring day.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank boofy_verity
Reviewed December 19, 2007

After a recommendation from another hotel that was fully booked, and not finding much information to go on, and after assurances by the proprietress that I “would not be disappointed”, I decided to book this guest house over some other similarly priced places that I was considering. I did, unfortunately, end up feeling a tad bit let down by the overall experience. Not that there was anything particularly wrong with 17 (and 19, where I stayed) on Loader- It has a good location at the top of De Waterkamp (very hilly cobble stoned streets), relatively quiet, breakfast- served in a basket to the door was actually filling and good (except for the Kraft plastic wrapped cheese slice), the facilities were clean, the bed was comfortable, the staff very friendly and there is a nice roof deck and honesty bar, which proved great at sunset.

What disappointed were really the little things; perhaps this was my fault for being accustomed to more upscale hotel accommodations and services and not rightly prepared for a guest house experience. The room lacked a clock, a telephone (so no wake up calls), TV and a waste receptacle, and there was no soap in the shower. No staff seemed to be around after breakfast so forget getting questions answered-you are pretty much on your own with a set of keys to come and go. A big annoyance one afternoon was when someone wanted to get in and rang the doorbell incessantly- I presumed that no one was there to respond and it eventually stopped. My room had a bit of a tired feel to it and not at all stylish- pretty plain really, albeit very clean. The house itself could use some help from an interior designer as small changes to furniture layout, color and finish selections could really improve the overall appearance- especially considering that this is Cape Town’s fashionable gay neighborhood.

I had little interaction with other guests (this may be a good or bad thing depending on one’s perspective), but for me was disappointing as I had booked the guest house intentionally so I could meet other travelers. The Proprietress, a friendly German exile with a larger than life presence certainly helped improve the overall impression and breathed a sense of life and vitality into the place. Without her and her staff, 17 on Loader would have been a major disappointment. To be fair, many guests had written extremely complimentary comments in the guest book left in the house, so maybe my expectations were too high for me to enjoy the stay….

Tip: One should be aware that a full deposit is required on a credit card at time of booking although cash is actually required upon arrival.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo