“Great location, great service but needs work”
Review of Cape Diamond Hotel

Cape Diamond Hotel
Ranked #78 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great location, great service but needs work”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

This hotel is in easy walking distance of Cape Town's many attractions. The V&A is even walkable. Overall, the service was really great.

We had a late night check in and there was an issue. The booking issue was the fault of Expedia and not the hotel. The issue was that there wasn't a big enough room available for both my daughter and I. The front desk manager did find one that had not been 100% serviced. He had to get some towels and shampoo for us. We are flexible and tried to be understanding since the booking issue was not the fault of the hotel. What I did not appreciate was this desk manager telling us that after that night we would have to pay for the room "upgrade" (since it deviated from the Expedia booking-- but it was still a little shabby) and would have to pay for breakfast for the duration of the trip. He did give me the name of the desk person I should talk to about it in the morning. After traveling for 20+ hours, this was not what I would call a very hospitable greeting.

The good news is that things did improve from here. In the morning, the room issue was sorted out promptly, with a smile, and with no extra charges. Breakfast was good. The staff at breakfast was very friendly and helpful with tips on things to do.

On check out, the hotel held my luggage all day so that I was able to tour. No issues there.

Overall, I would say that this is a good budget accommodation for those touring the city (and are not spending much time in the room) or have a one or two night stop-over.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Blumagoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
South Africa
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I booked this hotel on line and feel mislead. The staff were pleasant except for one rude gentleman who worked behind the reception counter who continued to shout at me while I was trying to get a parking disk in front of customers. The parking situation is a joke - it is across the road in a public parking area whereby you have to pay R70 per a day which was never advised prior to our arrival. It takes about 20 minutes to park the car and get to the hotel. Where our room was situated had a sewage smell to it which was unpleasant when entering and exiting the room. Once in the room it was fine as the room wasn't that bad. All in all we were disappointed with this hotel and won't stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

Conyers, Georgia
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed here 4 nights, the location was very good close to every thing we wanted to do. The staff was very nice especially Papa Joe and the rest of the Restaurant and the front desk staff went out of the way to help and guide you, breakfasts were great. Will definitely recommend and stay here again. Nwelji, Conyers, Georgia USA

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We went to Cape Town to compete in the Argus Cycle. Our criteria was to be close to the start of the race in town and to be able to collect our bikes and store them. The hotel staff was really accommodating and incredibly helpful. The reception can do with an upgrade and the common areas could do with a scrub! However we booked a double bed and received a twin. It took a lot of convincing that we needed to move. We were moved to a really dreadful room (307) where you cant move around the bed as its against the wall and the room looks onto a wall - we were there for three more nights!. This is a short sightedness many receptionists have when allocating a room - they dont factor in how long a guest is staying.
Please note it is not clear (to me) on this website that you have to pay R70 per day for parking in a public parking bay.
If you are noise sensitive this may not be a good option for you as the city noises start at 6am - it is not the hotels fault - but just something to be aware of. On a lighter note - the breakfast is great, the location makes everything one does accessible. We will certainly stay there again next year.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LeonieE
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I booked this hotel for the last two days of our 17 day trip to the Western Cape. I had read a good review in a travel guide and so phoned the day before to book , choosing it also because the location suited us and our other hotel choices were full. On arriving, I honestly thought that this was a totally different hotel to the review. Our room was small, no mini fridge or air conditioning. All of these can almost be excused for, but the bedside lights didn't work and the room was dirty and there is never ever an excuse for an unclean room. It is one of the worst rooms I have ever stayed in both on many visits to Cape Town and all over the world. I have never ever posted a review before, but I vowed that this was the hotel I would do it for. I hated it! If the price had been inexpensive then I would have just accepted that we got what we paid for, but it certainly wasn't and we certainly did not.

Room Tip: I think there may be suites available but we were never given the option. However the poor standard...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TEC12_12
US of A
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Excellent value for the money and the location is super-convenient. One can walk to most places of interest within the City Centre. I had to take the rating two notches down for two reasons: (1) They never explain to you that you can only have one round of serving from the breakfast food that staff "dishes out" -- so much for the definition of buffet; when you go for seconds, you are told that you can't have more; and (2) I was always fearful of getting trapped inside the elevator on the right, as when it got to my floor, the door would only partially open and you have to push/pull hard to get it to open enough so you could get in.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank usyoso
Umhlanga Rocks, South Africa
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Incredibly basic hotel. NO air con, no safe in the room, no fridge. No net curtains, so my curtains had to be shut due to being able to see into the car park across the street and watch people collect their cars.
The bathroom had visible damp issues- bubbled and mouldy walls, and black mould on the ceilings- all due to no ventilation. Even the toilet seat has chips on it. The 8th floor room has a wraparound balcony- great until you realise you can walk up to other peoples rooms. And the lift? Well I will be listening to that go up and down all night.
Would I stay again? No.