“Wonderful stay”
Review of Liberty Lodge

Liberty Lodge
Ranked #24 of 156 Cape Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 19, 2012

My mother and I stayed at Liberty lodge for a few days before my sister's wedding. The accomodations were perfect. The location is close to many restaurants and cute boutiques but not directly on a busy street. The room and balcony were lovely, but Ruth and the ladies who work there made the whole experience that much better. I would recommend Liberty lodge to any one who is going to visit Capetown!

Room Tip: The rooms upstair have direct access to the balcony!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mattie K

Reviewed April 19, 2012

Liberty Lodge and owner Ruth came through. Accommodations and service excellent and comforting since we traveled from the Chicago, IL to be with family in Cape Town. Safe and secure, we felt very much welcomed and at home. Thank you to Ruth and her wonderful staff! We would recommend and plan on staying again in our future travels back to this area.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Laura K
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Ruth is an amazing lady with a n amazing bnb. It was so homey and beautiful there. I had the most enjoyable time there.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank anele h h
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Immediately after I emailed Ruth to inquire about reserving one of the guest rooms at Liberty Lodge, she responded and through a series of emails, was extremely helpful as I made plans to sightsee during our stay in Cape Town. She arranged a Winelands tour, arranged our taxi ride back to the airport, and even went so far as to provide bubblewrap and tape to protect a piece of artwork that my daughter had purchased. Liberty Lodge is centrally located in a beautiful part of Cape Town. The home is tastefully decorated and the breakfast, made to order, was delicious. We stayed in a second floor room, and the view from the terrace was spectacular. I highly recommend the Liberty Lodge!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Katherine J
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I've stayed at Liberty Lodge several times as I go to Cape Town a couple of times a year. I love that the owner, Ruth, will always prebook popular restaurants and events for me so I can just feel like a local as soon as I arrive. If you are travelling on your own, ask for the small bedroom that has private access onto the breakfast courtyard in the afternoon and evening! It's a great place to read and have a glass of wine in the early evening if you've been running around in the sun all day! I find it amusing to listen in on some of the breakfast conversation, too! There's an individually prepared hot breakfast on offer, but I often stick to the fresh fruit and cereal and head back to bed!
Liberty Lodge is in a great location - walking distance to lots of restaurants and shops, so you don't feel you're tied to your car all the time. It's also central enough to taxi to Camp's Bay or the Waterfront in a few minutes for an upmarket night out. The view of Table Mountain is a constant thrill, too.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I heard rave comments from colleagues about the location, the view of Table Mountain, the comfortable rooms and the owner of this guesthouse and was definitely not disappointed. Liberty Lodge is within walking diatance of some good restaurants and shops and the owner, Ruth, joyfully and enthusiastically helped me to select a room, exciting activities and called a taxi when I needed one. Breakfast is glorious and the staff, Lisa and Nita, prepared exactly what I liked, with a smile and good humour. I felt comfortable thanks to Ruth's constant care and at home and the guesthouse is perfectly situated for any trip in and around Cape Town.

Room Tip: The rooms MADIBA and GHANDI lead onto the terrace with perfect views.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Mathilde K
Reviewed March 21, 2012

The place was in a great location with a lovely view of Table Mountain from the terrace. The room was comfy and interestingly-decorated with a contemporary and African flair. We didn't eat breakfast there since we wanted to try lots of restaurants. Ruth was generally nice, but she seemed inconvenienced by having to wait for the rest of my party later in the evening. I found this a bit odd as it is the owner's job to welcome and orient guests.
There is a great, hip little restaurant called Manna up the hill on Kloof St that I also definitely recommend, as well as Kyoto a few blocks down, as well as the little bar next door (not Raffiki's).

Room Tip: Try to avoid the room on the ground floor next to the front walkway, as you can hear everyone coming...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Ruth P, Owner at Liberty Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2012

As the owner of Liberty Lodge, I always welcome constructive criticism on the house and the service I provide. It is also interesting to read a third party's perception of a shared experience but this one leaves me somewhat baffled.

Unlike a hotel, we do not have a 24 hour reception but I am always on hand to greet my guests, regardless of the time, day or night. In this particular incident, I had several exchanges by text message with the second member of the party yet to arrive and despite several changes to the arrival time within the space of an hour, the last message stating they did not know when they would arrive, I made it clear I would be there to greet them. I really cannot understand the criticism about my being inconvenienced to welcome and orientate a guest.

I am sorry that this guest was disappointed with their reception, as all previous reviews, without exception, attest to their satisfaction with the service I provide

Generally, it seems that the guest enjoyed their stay in Cape Town, which I was delighted to read about in the review.