“Excellent Value”

A Sunflower Stop
Manchester
“Excellent Value”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

As a 26 year old married man, travelling with my Mum to Cape Town for 4 days after a family wedding in another part of South Africa, I was a little worried about staying here. I knew I’d enjoy it as I’ve spent the last 10 years staying at places like this, but I didn’t know what my 46 year old Mum would think. As it turned out, she absolutely loved it. To quote her, “…I’ve stayed in hotels worse than this!”. She couldn’t believe the quality of the place for the low price we paid. The staff were very helpful upon arrival, and our room was literally a few steps from the main reception. The room had its own bathroom, very comfy beds and I very much appreciated the excellent air conditioning system. The room felt very safe too with its own safety box, as well as another safety box behind reception too. The hostel bar and pool always seemed to be well used and the people that were staying there seemed to have been there for some time. Understandable considering the cost and quality. Just a short walk from Cape Town Stadium, the waterfront shopping complex and a taxi that cost less than £2 to get to Long Street, it really is in a great location. Another short walk away was a number or bars and restaurants that my Mother and I made certain to make the most of during our stay. If you’re planning on backpacking in Cape Town, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: We got quite lucky with our room being on the ground floor, but we purposely booked a twin ensuite r...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I only have good things to say about A Sunflower Stop. The room was great, serviced every day, quiet and well insulated enough to sleep in at night, despite being above the bar and with a busy road outside. Andrew in particular was a fine and friendly host, thanks for all the local information and the late night bar conversations.

The pool was perfect for a hot afternoon dip after a day out exploring the city. Parking was easy outside the hostel and the waterfront for robben island trips and shopping was an easy stroll away. An interesting mix of fellow travellers staying there topped it off even better.

The hostel has a range of rooms for different budgets, good kitchen facilities, lounges and a comfortable outdoor space to relax in day or night. A great spot to relax, kick back and plan your trips around South Africa's most beautiful city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Sunflower Stop in the beginning of 2013. The hostel was quite busy so there was a nice vibe. The rooms are nice and luxurious, once you lay on the bed you almost do not want to get out. The rooms are serviced daily what is very nice and very personal! The hostel is situated in a safe area. Not in the middle of the city but very safe. V&A waterfront is only a 15 minutes walk and the city centre is really good reachable by taxi! Really had a good stay at Sunflower Stop!

• Stayed January 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Sunflower Stop is fantastic. From the people I met while staying there to all of the assistance in arranging my time in Cape Town, I was never disappointed. I stayed in a mixed dorm room with a friend and we were very happy about the cleanliness and respectfulness everyone showed while staying. The accommodation at the hostel ranged from nice self contained rooms to 8 person dorm style making it suitable for multiple populations. I would recommend this place to anyone and hope to get back to Cape Town soon!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed in a mixed dorm room, with some friends, and had a nice time there. As a frequent visitor of hostels I was happily surprised at this place.
First of all, it was clean. The rooms and the shared bathroom facilities. They also made your bed every day. Talk about luxury at a hostel!
Second of all, it was not a party hostel, it was just a quiet oasis of calm with some really nice people. I was surprised, but not in a negative way, that there was such a varied demographic of people there. Young and old from all over, and some even staying for months.
Third, they had a lot of day tours and such at the hostel. You barely have to lift a finger to do anything if you don't feel like it while staying in Cape Town.
The only negative thing I experienced, and this is rather minor, is that there wasn't a proper ladder on the bunk bed for the top bed. It was just a pain getting up and down, especially for someone not terribly flexible.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Schaffhausen, Switzerland
Reviewed December 20, 2012

If i could stay here longer i would it's just beautiful. I'll be Back. Definitely memories that stay for my whole life. I really can recomend it from my heart. plus a hilarious moment when a drunk italian convinced me that i'd eaten "cat!" - it was chicken ;)

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank AjKarris
White River, South Africa
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed here for a few days in June, the weather in Cape Town is not always the best at this time, cause it rains often...but wow, the people at Sunflower Stop pulled out all the stops, they made sure that even the rain wouldnt stop us from enjoying a night out on the town. The people are friendly, the atmosphere is warm, the rooms are comfortable...We met so many people from different places.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple