“Gorgeous Guesthouse, you won't want to leave!”
Review of Blackheath Lodge

Blackheath Lodge
Ranked #4 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed January 13, 2009

I stayed at Blackheath Lodge for four nights at the beginning of December 2008. I was travelling on my own and I didn't want to get lost in the impersonal service of a hotel. So I looked up Guesthouses in Cape Town and Blackheath Lodge had good reviews so I thought I would give them a try...and I was so pleased I did!

The day I arrived I was given the warmest welcome by Anthony and his team. I was showed to my room which was absolutely beautiful, ensuite, with the biggest and comfiest bed I have ever slept in - I'm 5ft 10" and my toes weren't even close to hanging out the end, it was bliss! The room also had a tv, tea and coffee making facilites and a well stocked mini bar. There was also a welcome pack containing more info about the Guesthouse and tourist information about Cape Town with recommended taxi numbers - all very helpful.

The house is situated around the garden with the pool and sunlongers. The verandana, where most of the dining is done, overlooks over the garden area and it is so relaxing sat there tucking into the delicious homemade treats on offer at breakfast time or having a glass of wine watching the sun go down.

If your looking for things to do like day trips or recommendations for restaurants to eat in then Anthony and the team are more than happy to advise and book things for you, they really can't do enough for you. The Guesthouse is situated in Sea Point, which is a two minute walk down to the sea front and only five mintues by car to the V& A Waterfront. The tourist bus runs from outside the Winchester Mansions Hotel on the seafront, which again is only a five - ten minute walk from the Guesthouse so its location is perfect and tucked away enough to be out of the hustle and bustle.

I really cannot fault anything about Blackheath Lodge. Someone I met whilst staying there said to me "They should bottle the atmosphere of this place and sell it, they'd make a fortune!" and she was so right, it was wonderful - tranquil, fun and very welcoming. It excelled all my expectations and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank moo1981
Write a ReviewReviews (1,880)

Reviewed January 3, 2009

I am an American who was in Cape Town to be married in April of this year. Several of my family members and friends stayed at the Blackheath. As a first introduction to Cape Town residents, Antony and his support staff were beyond superb. Everything from the great rooms, to the wonderful breakfasts, to the regular support we received from Antony on our excursions was fantastic. A lot of us left South Africa feeling we had truly made some new friends among the staff members. For our honeymoon my husband and I stayed at the famed 12 Apostles. It was everything that it is said to be, but it still lacked the personable quality we received at the Blackheath. On our next trip we will be staying at the Blackheath Lodge. D.M.

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed December 30, 2008

We stayed at Blackheath Lodge at the end of a two week trip along the garden route - it was the perfect place to relax and unwind (and to spend my birthday!). The room was beautiful and the staff unbelievably welcoming and helpful. They really made us feel like part of the family and we couldn't recomend it highly enough.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2008

Gest house in an old colonial house at the heart of Cape Town, very close to the sea and to the Water Front. The service is perfect and the breakfast is really incredible.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 12, 2008

We stayed 2 nights here and it is without doubt "a find". Lovely room, superb breakfast served on the veranda, tranquil poolside setting. Close to Sea Point area but far enough away up the hill for a quiet night's sleep. Recommended.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2008

This was our third time in Cape Town, and our second time at Blackheath. I've never experienced such a welcoming, fun, relaxing and friendly place. It truly feels like a home away from home.

The location is fantastic--nestled just down from Signal Hill, it's central to Cape Town, close to the beach, and within walking distance of so many things to do.

The food is great--whether it's the special dinners hosted by local chefs or the breakfast buffet, the meals are fantastic. And not just because the food is delicious, but because the experience is something you won't get anywhere else.

The guest house is beautiful--from the lobby to the pool to the guest rooms, it's entirely comfortable, clean, and beautiful. Lovingly restored with a great eye for detail, it keeps getting even better.

But the thing that makes Blackheath so memorable are the people. Antony, John, Lisa and the staff are unforgettable. They are incredibly friendly, always available to offer advice, quick with a laugh just when you need one, and they go out of their way to make sure you enjoy your stay at Blackheath AND in Cape Town.

And if you're lucky you'll run into fellow travelers whose story is as worth sharing as your own. We will be back again and again. Stay. Enjoy. Remember!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 7, 2008

Very nice place to have a good rest. Very good breakfast. Very nice staff, friendly, very good advice for restaurant, place to visit... We appreciated a lot and will visit them again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple