“LOVED everything about it!!!”
Review of Blackheath Lodge

Blackheath Lodge
Ranked #4 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed December 5, 2008

This is the third hotel I have stayed in, in Cape Town and by FAR the best.
From the instant, personal welcome to the personal farewell the place is a delight!
Anthony and John are fantastic hosts as are all their staff. The ambiance and decor are gorgeous.

Breakfasts are just delicious - I'm sure I am not the first one to mention the mini quiches!...and the strawberry tart...fruit salad,,,,fresh juice and smoothies...I could go on!!

Location is very convenient for major routes in and out, the beaches and Waterfront. Also safe enough to have walks out along the promenade (to a great cafe near the lighthouse). The welcome pack (personalised) waiting in your room is a really thoughtful - and of course useful - touch, along with a reputable cab number which is VERY handy.

I had one of the attic rooms in the main house - which was so roomy, bright and comfortable...with a HUGE bed!

The garden and pool are small - but lovely and there is plenty of sun through the day for sun worshipping....while still having plenty of shady spots to escape the heat. There's a computer with free internet tucked away, which is also very handy.

I only had 3 days at Blackheath, but felt like a lot longer - it was just what was needed to refresh and relax. I was travelling alone,but was made to feel very much part of the crowd - as fellow guests are also part of the attraction there.

Would definitely stay there again and definitely recommend to others!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo

Reviewed December 1, 2008

I did my research and found on-line this beautiful little nugget in Seapoint, Cape Town. I asked my travel agent to book my four day stay and was totally satisfied with my selection. Liz, Antony and John are the perfect hosts, making sure you are not wanting for anything. They are as Antony says "hands on hosts" gently asking if they can organize a tour, make a reservation, suggesting the right spot or the best shopping. After coming off a 10 day safari in the bush, my cozy little room was the perfect place to have a sunflower head shower and sink every night into my perfect bed for deep sleeps. This place is decorated perfectly with shabby chiq decor that fits well everywhere. I loved every minute. The breakfasts were outstanding with homemade pastry, jams, fresh squeesed juices and fresh pressed coffee. Again, perfect! Do stay at this place if you get a chance, you will not regret!
Patricia from Canada

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed December 1, 2008

This is the best place you can image staying while being in Cape Town. Anthony and his crew welcomed us with open arms in a wonderful environment. For those arriving with no specific plans in mind, just talk to Anthony. He will be more than happy to schedule and arrange your stay, including bookings for other lodges, care hire, recommendations about what to see etc...

Cédric & Veerle - Belgium

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2008

On my trip to South Africa, my aunt and I spend a little time in Cape Town (it was a given). She had already told me a bit about the place we would be staying, told me it was great. I was looking foreward to seeing this place and I was NOT dissapointed.

I felt welcome from the moment I walked into the reception, Antony and John and the rest of the staff greeting us, eager to learn a bit about who we were - and to learn my name (not an easy one - danish...) so I would feel welcome. And I most certainly did.

Every morning at breakfast (very nice, Lisa and co.) someone said goodmorning and asked us what we were planning for the day. Always helpful, drawing maps if we didn't know the best way to get to where ever we were going. Always helpful finding good restaurants and booking it for us, no problem what so ever.
The service was exelent, very friendly but not too pushy. It really felt like everybody there was doing their very best to make our stay the best possible. And you did!

It really felt like a home away from home, and if I ever get to Cape Town again you can to sure, I'll be staying at the Blackheath Lodge - no doubt about that!
Thank you for making our stay an unforgettable one!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed November 27, 2008

Blackheath Lodge , Cape town was the perfect choice for our holiday. It is ideally located and feels like a real home from home. The owners and staff cant do enough to make sure your stay is as enjoyable as possible. They gave us advise on restaurants arranged tours and made us feel totally relaxed. They have a regular traditional south african cuisine evening where most guests attend for a wonderful night of food and drink. The accomodation is beautifully presented and with just 12 rooms you get that individual treatment. I would have no hesitation in reccomending Blackheath lodge and judging by our fellow guests and the comments in the guest book neither do their other guests

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed November 23, 2008

In May this year my parents went on a 'trip of a lifetime' around South Africa. As it is something they had wanted to do for more than 40 years and due to my mother being physically disabled, a lot of research, planning and organising went into making the trip as perfect as possible, and also into finding suitable accommodation for them. My main priorities were access for my mother (who gets around in either a wheelchair or a walking frame), location, and friendly, helpful hosts. Despite the disability, my parents are busy, active, outgoing people who don't like to miss out on anything during their travels, and local knowledge is invaluable.

I fired off an enquiry e-mail to Blackheath Lodge and Anthony came back to me almost immediately with a full friendly e-mail detailing the layout of the house and rooms and also parking facilities in front of the entrance. In one e-mail he won me over. He was welcoming and helpful without being at all pushy. From then on he and I e-mailed back and forth, with him assisting me with all manor of queries about local activities and transport. Nothing was too much trouble. He even organised the car hire from George airport to Cape Town at a rate as good as any I had found on-line.

My parents returned from their trip having had the most wonderful time and full of praise for Blackheath Lodge. During their stay Anthony e-mailed me to let me know all was well and even sent me photos of my parents and the staff at Blackheath on the verandah, all smiles and sunshine. Since their return I have had lengthy detailed accounts of the beautiful room they stayed in which had the ‘biggest bed they have ever seen in their lives’, the wonderful breakfasts on the verandah and the fabulous staff. My mother was impressed by the attention to detail and how spotlessly clean everything was. The location was perfect, particularly for the waterfront which they fell in love with.
Most of all they appreciated the hospitality of Anthony and his colleagues. Thanks to their help my folks went on a catamaran ride to Robben Island, a helicopter ride over the Cape, and day trips to a township and to the winelands, to name but a few. They are still raving over Cape Town these several months later.

My mother wanted me to point out that although Blackheath Lodge does not officially have disabled access and the uphill location can be problematic (this is almost unavoidable in Cape Town!), that the team at Blackheath bent over backwards to help her in any way that they could and she did not have any problems staying here.

I really need to apologise to Anthony for taking so much time in placing this review on Tripadvisor and thank him for helping to make their trip so fabulous.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aisles
Reviewed November 17, 2008

We have just returned from 3 weeks in South Africa, starting our tour in Sea Point, Cape Town. Thank you so much, Anthony & John, for rescuing us! When we arrived at the guest house we had originally booked via its website (in Bantry Bay, not far from Sea Point) we were mortified and rushed to the Info Centre at The Waterfront to find somewhere that matched our requirements for the next 4 nights. We shall be ever-grateful to the young lady who suggested Blackheath Lodge.
We were made so welcome as soon as we arrived - Anthony & John could not have been more helpful and sympathetic - and this was to continue throughout our stay.
We loved the breakfasts on the communal verandah and enjoyed returning to the same spot in the evening after our travels to rejoin our fellow-guests, with our hosts waiting for us with a glass of wine. Nothing was too much trouble and they advised on places to dine, booked the table and arranged the taxi. One couple had been separated from their suitcases on arrival at CapeTown. Anthony contacted the airline and tenaciously tracked down their luggage - it arrived by the evening.
We were sorry to leave the "family environment" that they had created although we had Franschhoek, Hermanus and other gems still to visit.
When we return to Cape Town, we will be staying at Blackheath Lodge. Many thanks from John & Kay.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Town Central
City Bowl
Derwent House Boutique Hotel
Derwent House Boutique Hotel
#5 of 110 in Cape Town Central
Cape Grace
#7 of 110 in Cape Town Central
Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, C...
#31 of 110 in Cape Town Central
POD Camps Bay
#1 of 12 in Camps Bay
One&Only Cape Town
#12 of 110 in Cape Town Central
Cape Royale Luxury Hotel
#34 of 110 in Cape Town Central

Been to Blackheath Lodge? Share your experiences!