“Well located, clean, friendly staff.”
Review of Once in Cape Town

Once in Cape Town
Reviewed May 17, 2009

I stayed for 6 nights in this Lodge and found it really good. Walking distance to Waterfront, great health food shop over the road and fish restaurant next door. Nearby internet cafe and great cafes and shops in Kloof Street. I would definitely stay there again. Staff were very helpful.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Once in Cape Town

Reviewed May 3, 2009

I stayed here on completion of an Intrepid Tour and thought it was pretty good... so I'm going back again when I'm in Cape Town again later this year.

The rooms are basic but have everything you need and my room was lucky enough to have a view of Table Mountain! The bathroom could use a little fixing up but are completely usable and I didn't have any issues with the water. Compared to some of the places our group stayed at this was heaven!

The staff are friendly and if you ask, are willing to advise you on their recommendations on some of the local attractions. They were nice enough to help me with a booking for a day trip which was at short notice.
I had a friend staying in another room for a night and she had some difficulties with her booking but the staff were able to help with hers and there was no issue in the end (in fact she ended up getting free breakfasts when I didn't!)

Location wise it's reasonably close to everything. There is a little supermarket, a book shop that sells maps, an internet cafe and a petrol station all within a minutes walk. A little further and you're at Long Street. I generally took a taxi to V&A Waterfront as the staff would organise this easily with a good driver and it's VERY cheap (on average I think about R25 at most we had a stop and it was R40). It is a little over R200 to the airport.

The only downside was the trek up and down the stairs with luggage. No lift... (or someone to help if someone needed it)

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed January 8, 2009

NEVER AGAIN will I make the mistake of booking in at Saasveld Lodge. The food was ok(had better), living conditions need improvement and certain staff need training. I have never before been so insulted and treated so badly I only stayed for one day. The receptionist, Janine, was rude, unprofessional, unhelpful and disgustingly offensive. She has no ettiquette and no idea of how to treat guests. The management has to realise they will be losing business because of staff with attitude problems. The other staff weren't too bad though. I will definitely never be going back again and will advise my friends the same.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 1, 2008

Good clean lodge, on 3rd floor with no lift so bit of a trek with the luggage. clean room, good beds, good shower, no frills. nice breakfast. no main communal area so no real chance to meet other people if travelling alone, on saying that though we only stayed one night.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2008

good simple clean room in great location with secure parking and above average breakfast

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 22, 2008

We booked a 4 day visit/tour of capetown that included accomodation at the Saasveld. It is located in quite a nice area, closish to bottom of Table mountain and surrounded by groovey cheap restaurants and "gourmet" supermarket. The front desk staff were terribly helpful and gave 300% in helping us with all of our enquiries.
Our stay was marred by the fact that extensive renovations were taking place at the same time- so lots of banging noise and tools to walk around. No lift so we had to lug our luggage up two flights of stairs.
The room had a musty smell about it and quite cramped. But from our investigations in looked like we were in a room that hadn't yet been renovated. Hard to get good reception on the TV(but these were also to be replaced). Breakfast was good, we had special dietary requirements which they accomodated as best they could (i.e. they supplied soy milk, we supplied the bread which they then stored and cut for us.)

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank Smavery
Reviewed December 4, 2007

My wife and I stayed with our 2 children in the lodge in june 2007.It was a pleasant 3 day stay.
The rooms are clean, well ventilated, the room service is good and they are pleasant people.
I found that the 3 pin plug which I had with me would not fit in the socket.The person at the counter rummaged around and arranged one for us so that we could charge our camera without difficulty.
We wanted to stay in the same room-all 4 of us, but the hotel said it was not permitted and that we HAD to take 2 rooms which were inter connected.So we paid double.
The breakfast is sumptuous.After that ,one may omit lunch altogether.
There is one point, though.The milk at the breakfast table is cold and one has to ask for hot milk repeatedly.
The staff has a habit of staring at you as you eat, so that you tend to feel unnerved.
One last point.There is no lift and no one to help you with the luggage.
The hotel is excellent value for money, though.And well located.

Stayed: June 2007