“Faded splendour? No, poor maintenance”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Cape Cadogan

Cape Cadogan
Ranked #12 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
essex
“Faded splendour? No, poor maintenance”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

We booked this hotel as we thought it would be central for restaurants, ie Kloof Street. I can only say the road it's in is a cut-through from Kloof Nek and consequently busy with cars travelling at speed at times, and we never ate in Kloof St!
It's part of the travel group, More Quarters and was staffed by various employees, so lacked the personal touch, but they were more than happy to book excursions for you. There was a lounge with 2 large settees & decanters of port & sherry on the coffee table, to encourage guests to mingle. The sitting area by reception had a computer with free wi-fi. The (tiny) pool area had 4 loungers by it, plus tables & chairs on the patio, where breakfast is taken. The breakfasts were sufficient but I didn't like the way the kitchen staff would clear the table next to you & then spray any marks with a strong chemical cleaner - not pleasant when you're eating.

Room tips: Don't have room 6. This "luxury" room had a balcony overlooking said busy road & was consequently noisy, The balcony doors & window had paint peeling off them & were difficult to shut, despite the gaps where they'd shrunk. The bathroom sink was badly stained. It was the drainage problem, though, that we refused to tolerate. When we shown this room, the receptionist apologised for (in her own words) the strong chemical smell. It was because they'd flushed them, as they did each week... hmm. We gave it a chance, but it was clear the next morning from the gurgling & different odours that there was an ongoing problem here. The young receptionist couldn't address our request to be moved & as we had an excursion booked, we said we'd sort it out on our return. In the afternoon, a different receptionist showed us to a different room.
Room 2. (also "luxury") No smells, but the bathroom sink was actually damaged - gouges out of it! It was smaller than room 6 with only 1 wardrobe, but the little courtyard was more pleasant. This was un-overlooked as it had a garage door at the rear. The main problem with this room was the paper-thin walls. It was in a short corridor opposite the reception desk so we were subsequently woken by every late-comer or early leaver.
This really needs an overhaul.

Room Tip: Don't have Room 6 or Room 2
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jan59Essex
Andy P, General Manager at Cape Cadogan, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write the above review. It is of course disappointing for me to read the above comments, as it certainly doesn't show up the hotel to the normal standards we are used to achieving. Any complaint is dealt with on an individual basis and I can assure you I take your comments with the utmost seriousness.

I have personally work shopped all your comments and the appropriate measures are being taking concerning comments that you posted, such as the cleaning of tables with chemicals during breakfast service, and for the chipped basin you had in Room 2. For these I truly apologise.

There are a few of the points noted in the review however, that are not wholly accurate. For example Room 2 is in excess of 10m2 larger than Room 6 and not smaller and the lady who you asked to move rooms did accommodate your request as after you had discussed this with her in the morning she immediately contacted the manager on duty to authorise the room move . I think also important to mention that the walls are most definitely not paper thin, the walls are of a heavy brick construction and well built as part of the original build in the early 1800s.

I am sorry that you didn't get the chance to try out some of Cape Town's best restaurants located in the Kloof Street vicinity. The whole area, albeit not at the water, is very authentically Cape Town, and the majority of our guests really enjoy the area and the buzz that it has.

Once again thank you for your comments

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
San Diegan in Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

The reception area ladies who answered all two-hundred of my questions in the short 24-hours I was a resident at the Cape Cadogan ought to receive a prize. They sorted (among other requests) dinner, manicure/pedicure, safe jogging route, SIM card for my phone, lunch, and laundry (at last minute notice).

Everything was clean and the property was safe and easy to access. Plenty of parking!

I recommend the omelette for breakfast along with the fresh guava juice... :)

Room Tip: Room 5 was a little too close to the entrance for my taste...though it did have a double door and I...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I loved our stay in the Cape Cadogan. We were made extremely welcome by all the staff in the hotel who went out of their way to ensure we enjoyed our stay and who took a personal interest in recommending local activities, restaurants or tours. Comfortable, large room with our own balcony and a view of Table Mountain. Superb breakfasts. A lovely surprise was an unexpected champagne breakfast laid on in the courtyard for my wife's birthday. We would definitely return there should we ever visit Cape Town again and our four days there provided a great start to our holiday in the Western Cape.

1 Thank Ian M
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Love this place.
The staff, accommodations, the space. Everything was perfect. I looked forward to a tasty treat every night before bed. Perfect location. Comfortable bed. Breakfast was great.
Cape Cadogan is unassuming on the outside but perfectly updated on the inside. felt like i was vacationing at a rich friend's house. Everyone was warm and helpful! Thanks a million times over to Wisdom (yep, that's his name) for accommodating my every request. You spoiled me!

Room Tip: No need to try for a perfect room, i think they are all similar! Gorgeous decor. Love this place
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Name-me1
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Though I travel often I rarely take the time to review them online, but the character and warmth of this hotel prompts me to give it my highest recommendation. All of the things I seek in a hotel are present: location, sense of place, tasteful design, spacious rooms, welcoming atmosphere, prompt can-do service, good internet, thoughtful touches and spot on local recommendations. We stayed our first night at the Mount Nelson around the corner, which was lovely for a chain hotel, but I can truly say that had we not switched to Cape Cadogan our entire visit to Cape Town would have been much less enjoyable. For us it was an upgrade in almost all respects and cost about one third less.

As with any historic property, there are some minor compromises on functionality in the rooms (e.g. placement of electrical outlets), but I was very impressed that the main things (climate control, bathrooms, sound, lighting) were done well, which is no small feat in an old building . If a hard to reach electrical outlet is the price to be paid for the level of charm Cadogan delivers, it is well worth it.

In addition to creating a great place, the owners and management have done a fine job of staffing. Amber, Wisdom and all of the staff were lovely. I own several high end boutique hotels and know how difficult this is, so hats off to all.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a group, ask about their adjoining serviced apartments.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

My wife and I booked 4 nights at More Quarters for our first experience of Cape Town. We had originally wanted to stay at Cape Cadogan but in the end were very happy with More Quarters. Having our own very spacious apartment but with all the facilities of an excellent hotel at hand, either within More Quarters itself or at Cape Cadogan which really is a stone's throw away (the next door street) was just great. The staff were extremely helpful and made us feel at ease from the moment we arrived. The apartment was clean , modern and fresh with predominantly white and neutral colours which we both like (no fustiness here). The high point was probably the excellent breakfast in the spacious and beautiful breakfast room with large windows all around letting the sun stream in. Great service and just a nice feel about the place.

Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

Supeb Hotel in great location near to Kloof Street.
Very helpful friendly staff who cant do enough for you, excellent large room and we had our own little private courtyard to sit in and enjoy a drink or two in. Fabulous breakfast choices and with the option to sit outside in the sun.
On one night they provided us with an excellent picnic basket and blanket when we went to Kirstenbosch gardens.
There is also a nice sitting room with an honesty bar for a relaxing drink with nibbles too.
In the afternoon there is a pitcher of a nice cool drink and cakes to enjoy too, a very nice touch. But there again the staff do think about the small touches that make a difference.
Will definately stay there again if we visit Cape Town in the future.

1 Thank Dave1104