“Top class service and stay”
Review of Cape Standard

Cape Standard
Ranked #12 of 156 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Crikey -- where do I start with this fab place?

I arrived at very short notice for work and couldn't believe my luck. David and Margo had organised transport from the airport to Cape Standard and I arrived to a beautiful room with a spacious en-suite bathroom. Everything was very clean and beautifully decorated.

For breakfast, Bernard and the team had made a very tasty veg and fruit drink (it was a different one every day) with a big spread for breakfast. You then get offered a cooked breakfast on top of that!

The team are on hand for everything - whether you need a recommendation for a place to eat, a taxi or a beautiful view. They also helped me when I needed urgent medical treatment.

They also supplied myself and my colleagues with endless tea and coffee when we were busy working.

I can't recommend this place highly enough - it has a wonderful atmosphere. I'll definitely be back, and next time I'll hopefully be on holiday!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Cape Standard

Reviewed December 11, 2013

We stayed at the Cape Standard for 3 nights at the end of our trip around South Africa. We had an excellent stay. The room are very clean and have all the comforts. The terrasse where we had breakfest was wonderful. Breakfast was rich and very good. There is also a small swimming pool if you want to refresh you before breakfast.

The staff is very kind and Margot gave us a lot of ideas about place to visit (don't miss the Hout Bay market: it's wonderful!!!).

The location is great (few minutes from Table Mountain station, few minutes from the fornt view and the stadium, parking facilities).

Thank you Margo and Moses for our beautiful stay!

Hope see you soon at the Cape Standard again!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2013

From the minute we arrived Margo was helping us arrange and rearrange our plans to suit the weather, her knowledge of Cape Town and the surrounding area is fantastic.. Margo and Moses were around at all times to book cabs, arrange dinner reservations, check tours were still going ahead and generally be super helpful.. The rooms are spacious with lovely bathrooms and super comfy beds, we slept extremely well during our four night stay.. The location is ok, just a 50/80R cab trip which takes just 5 minutes and you can walk into the V&A in around 15/20 mins but NO walking around at night.. there is a spar and large off-license just down the road, possibly 8 min walk.. There is parking and the area is safe to wonder around in the day.. The Italian deli (also 8 min down the road) does fantastic food.. we bought a load of food & wine and sat in the dinning area and had a picnic one night :) The outside seating is great, stylish, calming and great to enjoy a glass of wine in after a day being a tourist.. I cant rate this place enough.. if you are looking for somewhere central then maybe not for you but its nice to be close enough to cab or walk into town and have the quite at night and it was quite... (oh and if you like burgers/meat, you must try out 'The Butcher' on the same road as deli & spa.. its goooood) Thank you for having us and for all your great help..x

Room Tip: Have the poached eggs :)
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stayed at Cape Standard Guest House recommended by a friend, and I highly recommend it if you are looking for a cozy, relaxed, intimate and welcomed experience. The guest house is absolutely cozy and real, and the staff is absolutely top notch helpful. Say hello to the owner David from me if you go. He's fabulous - a truly vibrant soul. 5 stars from us.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 16, 2013

This small guesthouse/hotel is located near greenpoint. The rooms are very pleasant and the breakfast very good. All the staff are friendly and will go out of their way to help you- whether that be to book the local gem of a restaurant, recommend things that shouldn't be missed or let you into your room to shower early after a long flight! We had a great time in Cape Town and this is in part due to our stay at Cape Standard.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Cape Standard is located on a quiet street in Greenpoint, a short cab ride from downtown Cape Town.
The location is great and there are several restaurants within a ten minute walk.
The hotel is small with about ten rooms. I stayed in room number 2 on the ground floor. It has a nice patio adjoining it. The rooms are comfortable, not elaborate but very tidy and cozy.There is a large common area at the rear of the building and a large patio is adjacent to it outside.
The breakfast was excellent with eggs cooked to order along with other side dishes.
What makes Cape Standard special are the owners and staff. Margo and David are gracious hosts and will go out of their way to arrange tours, give suggestions, etc.
When I arrived in early evening, Moses greeted me with a big smile and truly made me feel at home.
A great choice indeed.

Room Tip: Rooms 2 or 3 on the ground floor are a good choice
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2013

In the last few years my girlfriend and I have travelled the world and stayed in all kind of hotels, B&B, guesthouses, lodges, etc... This is the first time I review one of them.

You may encounter similar accommodation in terms of style, decoration, breakfast quality and value for money (all of it being very good), but we have never seen such a level of service as the one provided by the staff at Cape Standard.

Everybody had always a nice smile to greet you anytime day or night, always eager to please and to do things right. A very special mention has to be made about Margot: she was so helpful with every arrangement we had to make, every change we made to our reservations and every recommendation she gave us. Our visit to Cape Town was so easy and enjoyable in a great part thanks to her. I cannot recall such an efficient service anywhere we have visited.

We were travelling with five other friends and we were all very impressed. Thank you so much, Margot.

Room Tip: Though our room windows had blinds, light passed through the transparent bathroom door. If you care...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends