“Doing a good deed and having the most fun imaginable!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hout Bay World of Birds and Two Oceans Aquarium Tour in Cape Town
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Wild life sanctuary and home to a wide variety of bird life.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Doing a good deed and having the most fun imaginable!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I read about the world of birds, that it was really struggling. So I decided, let me get my family to join me in supporting this amazing and one of a kind gem. Needless to say, I will never forget it and it will now become a regular excursion as I honestly don't think anything in regards to monkeys and birds can rival it! Its great for young and old and my word you get the most fantastic photos that you otherwise wouldn't dream of in a million years. I think it also stood out to all of us even more as it is not a zoo, they care about there animals and are actually providing the quality of life so good that an injured bird or animal would never experience. THANK YOU WORLD OF BIRDS. 100% magical day.

1 Thank Shawnee S

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Midwest USA
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“World of Birds - Watch Your Step”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

This is a nice little old school walk-through bird park...this would be your Grandma's bird park.
It is a stop on the Blue bus route, in case you take that trip.

-A lot of various birds to see, some you would never be able to get this close to, and some monkeys...you can see what they eat, and what comes after...

-This is not a huge, modern day sanctuary/zoo/aviary, but then, it is not some gaudy monolith paid for with your tax dollars, so a little leeway has to be given.

-They have a separate fun path for small children, but once again, this is like your Grandma's garden, full of knick-knacks and old toys from yesteryear, hidden throughout the brush...the things you loved when you were a child, but thumb your nose at between the ages of 14 and 45.

-Go ahead, spend an hour there, it helps recovered/recovering animals/birds, and if you are on this website, you are smart enough to accept it for what it is, and donate the price of admission just to help them out......we did...as our cousin always says during complaints that surface when 4-wheeling, "Just get your big girl panties on and do it".

-Ironically, as my wife reminded me, we bought "Maggie the Monkey", a stuffed animal, from their gift shop, for our grand-daughter....we named it Maggie...it was the best souvenir we found...

-By the way, wear old sneakers/shoes/sandals...ones you can wash off, and ones you are not afraid to get a little dirty...

1 Thank GenoMIchiganYooper
Auckland Region, New Zealand
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great experience, would go again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've lived in Cape Town for over 15 years and always meant to go to World of Birds in nearby Hout Bay. I'm so glad I finally went!

We visited on a Sunday morning at around 11am and left at about 4pm. We were sorry that we hadn't arrived earlier as there is just so much to see.

Having been to other bird parks in South Africa, this was a clear favourite. There are absolutely heaps of birds, monkeys, guinea pigs, meercats, reptiles and more. It would be a wonderful visit for a family, and certainly a treat for overseas visitors. You are able to get up close to so many of the beautiful creatures - including birds of prey (Owls, Vultures, Eagles etc). There is even a contact area, where you can have a tiny Marmoset Monkey climb on your shoulders.

There is a small restaurant/take away at the entrance and the prices are very reasonable, even if you just need to refresh with a cold drink.

The curator is an extremely dedicated man, the animals are well cared for and you will simply kick yourself if you don't make a trip to this stunning park. Just take it from me - give yourself plenty of time to enjoy it all.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“The Monkeys rule the World of Birds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Not a very big world, but to it's credit, the World of Birds gives you an opportunity to view birds at very close distances. Many of the aviaries are open and you can view birds from within the aviary rather than outside.

The real pick and attraction are the squirrel monkeys which are extremely friendly and inquisitive. They will literally walk all over you and even check your pockets for some goodies.

The owls and eagles do sometimes give you an eerie, nocturnal touch due to their close proximity.

Overall, the bird aviaries are decent but I would recommend a visit specially for the Monkey Jungle.

Visited May 2012
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Very Interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is a unique facility. You walk through an intricate set of aviaries and animal habitats. This permits very close proximity to the animals. While many of the cages could use some sprucing up and the signage is primitive, you quickly forget the state of repair as you wander from cage to cage. As someone who is aware of birds in the environment, I was pleased to see many birds that I had never before encountered. Interesting photo exhibit from when Clint Eastwood and family visited the facility several years ago. Well worth a visit, especially if you are interested in photography.