“Bascule Bar still a Disappointment”

Bascule Whisky, Wine & Cocktail Bar
More attraction details
Owner description: On the water's edge of the international yacht marina on Cape Town's Waterfront, Bascule is the perfect setting to take in the sights and sounds of the busy Waterfront surrounds. There are over 500 whiskies from around the world and an impressive selection of the finest Cape wines on offer.By day Bascule Bar is a lively and vibrant destination, to enjoy a cappuccino or light lunch. By night, the space is transformed into a glamorous Whisky, Wine and Cocktail Bar, where connoisseurs and social butterflies gather in equal measure to enjoy a slice of Cape Town's social life.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Cape Town
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Bascule Bar still a Disappointment”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Another visit to Bascule. Another disappointment. Since they changed management some time ago service went down and has never recovered. The waiters spend more time in the corner inside, chatting or whatever they're doing. When they finally do come outside it's almost a scramble to get their attention for some service. The tapas menu is overpriced for what one gets. I have been in this country now for 7 years and Bascule was my favourite 'at least once or twice a week' place. If I go there once a month now it's a lot. The service is my main bone of contention. The Manager is my second. Both are linked as far as I'm concerned. Do yourselves a favour Cape Grace....get yourself a manager who fits the 5 star standing of your establishment.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Whisky Haven in Cape Town”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have been here a few times with friends now and it is always good if you like whisky. They do all the classic whiskys and also a couple of mixes. We have done their whisky tour/tasting that is basically us drinking every one that we can get our hands on.
Included in this is a really funky vibe, a warm atmosphere and some really good finger foods.
I was there for my Birthday and they gave me a platter of tasty deserts...The girls had most of it but still the service, venue and whisky was well worth the drive.

Visited September 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Could be my best bar ever”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Cape Town certainly knows how to design places , Bascule is exceptional. The Cape grace hotel is a stunning classic The furniture and design is genuine vintage furniture. Downstairs is bascule, a favorite amongst locals. The setting in this boat harbour is perfect. Took my new wife on honeymoon drinks to Bascule, She was duly impressed. Its even better if you are a fan of single malt whiskey's there are literally hundreds to choose from. he vibe in the bar is perfect if you are looking for a low key, perfectly lit, great music an excellent designed venue. It could be my best bar ever. I am also a fan of Asoka in tow. Asoka is a vodka bar , also with a great vibe. so check them both out when you are here.

Visited December 2013
San Francisco, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“What a selection!”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I like whisky.
I particularly like Single Malt Scotch Whisky.
I have a pretty good selection at home (around 4 bottles) and have tasted some great whiskies in my time.
So when my wife tells me there is a place walking distance from our dinner spot with a selection of over 400 whiskies, I'm on my way.

The bar is a nice and cosy location with a phenomenal selection.
The bartender listened to my likes and suggested I try a Taiwanese Single Malt called KaVaLan. on a scale on 1-5 I'd rate that a 2. Not a great finish and fairly flat overall. However it gets an extra point or 2 as it was a new whisky for me.
My wife had a lovely Madeira finished Balvienie that hit the mark perfectly.
The only disappointment is that some of the whiskies on show in their rare malts display they don't have available to pour.
In the States we call that 'Cruel & Unusual Punishment'

We will be back to try some more before we head home!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank AlanTheTrainer
cape town
“5 ***** CAPE GRACE HOTEL CAUGHT INTO WRONG ATTITUDE”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I am profoundly troubled and overwhelmed by the humiliating and nauseating incident that occurred to me and Frederic at your establishment yesterday evening. Frederic utilizes your establishment often for his business functions and meetings with his collaborators. We live in one of the best penthouses in the V&A Waterfront and your establishment to us is the closest place to home that we cherished and often felt relieved to be at, for our social and business wishes.

Being at your establishment so repeatedly, we were very shaken by what came about to us last evening. Whilst I was with Frederic, having a drink at the Bascule and in a middle of a discussion, Eddy, one of your attendants caressed my shoulder in an extremely sexual manner in front of everybody. We requested to see the bar manager immediately but he was too busy to attend to us, it took him so long that we had to go up the stairs to get hold of him. To make matters worse he wanted to take cover in the restroom!

We eventually ordered another round of drinks on the bar upstairs, of cause the previous round was totally ruined. In a wake of such a social assault, as if that was not enough the manager stipulated that we had to pay for the previous round!!!

What did we do to be worthy of such kind of slur and what is the weight of the moral standards of your establishment to us as clients according to the treatment that we receive from your members of staff?

Anyway, in a well-connected and advanced world that we are living in today, you must understand that it is important that you polish your reputation and take action to maintain the repute of Cape Grace all over the world.

Sincerely