“Much better options available in Cape Town”

Lady Hamilton Hotel
Ranked #104 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Old and dated rooms.
Could hear absolutely everything in the hall and there was a very loud group staying (shouting at 6 am)
Toilet dripped incessantly.
Shower door leaked so bathroom floor flooded.
Paid deposit to use a plug adapter and hair dryer. They were not compatible with each other and so we could not use the hair dryer in our room. We ended up using it in the business centre!
The bed was comfortable enough but I wouldn't stay here again if they offered me a free night.

I didn't find the front desk staff unhelpful as some previous posters mentioned. One gentleman in particular was very helpful with the hair dryer/ adapter situation.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank neferTT

Reviewed August 9, 2013

What a location, table mountain right out of your window. WOW.

1. the reception is not courteous but hostile. Do not ask for anything. All reply's start with NO-- Unfortunately it cannot..
2. Extremely bad internet connection and only in front of desk. The reservation confirmation mail mentions that internet is there in rooms. This is 2013 not 2003 man.
3. 4 floors and no lift no bell boys. Take your own luggage. So families with kids - watch out. Old guests not to check in at all.
4. TV is outdated and bad.
5. We had a two room suite, but only 2 beds and AC in only one room, so all three slept in the same room - some of us sleeping on floor. No heat convectors. and only one outdated TV in two rooms.
6. Not even a kettle to make coffee in room. Take stairs from fourth floor all the way down, make you own and by the time you are in room, it is cold.. YES NO LIFT in a four floor property.
7. Toilets are worse than public toilets. Squeaky faucets and no means to adjust bathing temperature.
8. The carpet is dirty.
9. Do not lock the toilet door in room 403, you will be locked inside. As we were a family, we used to hang DO NOT DISTURB outside the toilet door to prevent some one else coming in.

WOW - a big man chef- in kitchen was the only person smiling and prepared to cook you a good meal. Make sure he is there when you eat there. Else, go and eat street food instead.

Room Tip: Do not repeat do no go of any room above first floor unless you can heave your luggage and an athlet...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank AG1954
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I had the misfortune to become ill while staying here and can't say enough kind things about the staff! Exceedingly helpful calling a doctor, changing my booking, running errands and generally taking care of me at a difficult time.

Other reviews have commented that the room decor is perhaps in need of updating, but I found it thoroughly functional and comfortable - certainly within what I'd expect of a 3 star hotel/ this price point.

In sum: a great value hotel with 5 star service for a 3 star price.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2013

A very Nice hotel. Reasonable prices and good breakfast. Only stayed for 2 nights but will surely come back again. Staff was very nice and helpful, helped us to book a trip to the Cape of Good Hope and shark feeding. The location is very convinient.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

After 3 flights, (21 hours) & an error with my online booking (third party) I was just wanting to sleep!
Staff were helpful & I got to my room.. Oh not so great.. But fear not i changed room the next morning, your sleeping experience is very room dependent at this establishment in my opinion.
Breakfast was of a good standard but exactly the same every day! This I guess I understand as its the kind of hotel that attracts big groups that arrive in big buses! The manager made me laugh on a daily basis in a good sincere way I promise! Even though she charged me more than my Internet booking even though she saw the error & knew it was no fault if mine.. Normally I would protest but I liked my new room & she did make me laugh after all!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The hotel is located in a convenient location in Cape Town, very close to the famous Mount Nelson hotel.

I stayed in 2 room during my stay and there was good, bad and ugly. Let me start with the good:

1. The breakfast buffet is very nice with lots of choice.
2. I liked the 24 hour tea, coffee, ice tea in the lobby area (there are no kettles in the rooms).
3. There is secure parking (albeit for a charge) which is very handy.
4. There is free wifi in the lobby although no wifi in the rooms.
5. One of my rooms had a very nice view of table mountain. The other room had no view and almost no window.

The bad:
1. The hotel looks grubby and in need of a full refurbishment / update.
2. The reception area smells of cigarrete smoke.
3. The TVs in the room are very small with a very limited choice of channels.

The ugly:
1. The rooms were not properly cleaned (which is unusual for South Africa). There was dried urine on the toilet seat and what I thought were cracks on the tiles were actually hair from a previous resident. Pretty yukky!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and some of the rooms on the lower floors pick up the internet from the l...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed at the hotel in August 2012. The hotel is quiet and nice to just north of the center of Cape Town. It is within walking distance of the harbor, but we chose to take a taxi. Staff was very nice and helpful, helped us to book a trip to the Cape of Good Hope among others. Breakfast was good, and you can order all kinds of eggs. Large and comfortable bed, air conditioning and TVs. The only problem we had was getting charged cell phone and batteries. Can definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
CapeGirl20, Owner at Lady Hamilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank You so much for your nice review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Lady Hamilton Hotel. The location is ideal for exploring Cape Town.

We strive to give our guests a comfortable stay with exceptional service. Our breakfast gets many praises. Thank you for yours.

I trust you made good use of our Free Wireless Internet that we provide for our customers in our public areas.

We hope to see you back at the Lady Hamilton Hotel soon again.

Kind regards