“A PRECIOUS GEM IN AN ALREADY BEAUTIFUL CITY”
Review of Welgelegen

and 1 more site!
Welgelegen
SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA
“A PRECIOUS GEM IN AN ALREADY BEAUTIFUL CITY”
Reviewed June 24, 2009

Words cannot even describe the kind of service you will receive at this beautiful and charming Guest House. It is situated in a very trendy area of Capetown with great access to all of the city's major attractions. The staff at Welgelegen is incredible and their kindness and hospitality is unbelievable. The beautiful rooms have everything that you need and each one is decorated in its own style. The free breakfast in the morning taste amazing and is just one more thing that makes this the place to stay. Welgelegen and its staff truly exemplify all that beautiful and gracious about the country of South Africa and its people!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Midwest, USA
Reviewed June 11, 2009

I booked this guest house through the recommendation of a travel agency in Cape Town. I told them I was traveling alone and my main requirements were that I'd be in a clean, safe place. So, I was expecting something very minimal and basic. (And, frankly, often as a single traveler, I get the dregs of hotel rooms because I get the "leftovers" after the couples and families.)

But, Welgelegen was luxurious. My room was spacious and overlooked the guest house courtyard and Table Mountain. It had a king-sized bed and a claw-foot tub. It was so quiet, the first night I wondered if I was the only guest. When I got up for breakfast the next morning, I was surprised to see there were lots of others there.

The breakfast was delicious -- fruits and cereals, plus breads, eggs and bacon -- served in front of a fire place. Each everning, there were snacks, and I was free to go into the kitchen any time, day or night.

The location is right off Kloof Street, with lots of shops and restaurants. I would sometimes shop at Melissa's Foods, a gourmet food store, and bring home something for supper. Other times, I just stopped in at restaurants at the intersection of Kloof and Kamp -- Vietnamese, India, Italian -- lots of choices.

The staff at Welgelegen was warm and friendly. I truly felt like a guest in a home rather than a guest in a hotel.

I would stay at this guest house again and definitely recommend it if you're looking for a quiet, well-situated B&B.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed March 21, 2009

A guest house in a residential area, a stone's throw from restaurants and nightlife is the best way to describe Welgelegen. Our room was trendily decorated in modern decor and colours, complete with mini bar and coffee facilities, complimentary home baked cookies and chocolates. We had a kingsize bed with the most amazing pillows and a huge window overlooking the courtyard and beyond to Table Mountain itself. There was even a tiny balcony. Downstairs were 2 communal lounges, fireplace, dining room, pool and courtyard.

Best of all was the proximity to Kloof Street. We were able to walk down the street to a cosmopolitan mix of restaurants and bars (all the ones we had read about in the Lonely Planet Guide). Here we felt we really experienced the vibrance of the city and its people. The Thai restaurant closest to our house was wonderful. We also tried Mama Africa, further down the street. But our favourite was Asoka Son of Dharma, which was a trendy and popular restaurant/cocktail bar. We went back again and again.

Breakfast at Welgelegen was an elegant affair, with an array of choices from the buffet and cooked to order hot meals. And this was the only time we realised we were sharing the house with other guests. With a welcoming turn down service and chocolates on our pillows each evening, complimentary port or sherry in the lounge and a very friendly reception area, we could be forgiven for thinking we had the whole place to ourselves.

Although we were in the middle of the city we never had trouble getting a park right outside Welgelegen, so we felt safe leaving the car unattended. We were able to use the internet in reception for free, and when we mentioned that the phone in our room wasn't working they installed a new one while we were out.

We used this as our base for exploring Cape Town and its surrounds. We went Shark Diving on the East Coast, spent a day out on the West Coast and saw the penguins at Boulders Beach, another day at the Zevenwacht Winery Mangwanani Day Spa (out of this world), and abseiled off Table Mountain. We found it so easy to access all these activities in our rental car from Welgelegen and never had trouble finding our way home, which is how we came to think of it.

It's by no means 5 star accommodation, but we experienced a friendliness and feeling of home that you would never get from a large hotel. It was with heavy hearts that we left this wonderful city, our friends at Welgelegen and our nightly walks down Kloof Street.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg
Reviewed March 11, 2009

I want to share a recent experience at Welgelgen. I was in Cape Town for the Cape Argus Cycle tour. Imagine my surprise on returning to the room the evening before the race to find a specially prepared (unsolicited!)"race pack" containing goodies that would help me through the day! To top it a gift of a beaded angel was included to see me through the day. Just loverly.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Bangkok
Reviewed March 11, 2009

This very pretty guest house in a cul-de-sac of a residential neighborhood was the perfect place to relax and an excellent base for exploring Cape Town. My four-year-old daughter and I could not have felt more special in our lovely room. The staff was so helpful from showing us the nearby park to getting us directions to a restaurant faraway. In such a pristine setting, I feared having a lively child but she was met with all smiles and laughter. This made us both feel at home. We loved the breakfast, too and really hope we can go back again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Paulani
Scotland
Reviewed March 6, 2009

After staying at Alta Bay, Hawksmoor House and Le Grand in Plett (all recommended by Mr and Mrs Smith) we were hugely disappointed with our stay at Welgelegen. Although the communal spaces were lovely, and the location great, the room was small and tired - certainly in need of redecoration at the least. The draughts and rattling windows kept us awake most of thie night, as well as a ringing telephone in our room, with no one on the other end... The following morning there was no electricity in the room, the hotel failed to inform us of this (a power line had come down cutting of the electricity supply to some of the rooms), and although this was unavoidable it would have been useful to have been given an explanation as to why there was no shower / hot water / kettle. It may sound petty but there were several small things that conspired to make the stay entirely unpleasant; such as the fact that in order to plug the kettle you had to move heavy furniture to find a power socket. At breakfast, we had to wait 15minutes before someone came to offer tea or coffee and when we did complain about the sleepless night the owner went to investigate the phone calls and came back to tell me that there was no record of calls to our room (I felt as if she was suggesting that I was lying). Generally, it was not a pleasant stay, did not offer value for money (it cost the equivalent of a 4/5 star hotel) and I would certainly not return. I did glance through open doors at some of the other rooms and there was a world of difference between those and ours, so perhaps we were just unlucky with our allocated room.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tindersticks
Nottingham UK
Reviewed February 24, 2009

We were met after a long journey with a freshly squeezed orange juice in a grand living room whilst our bagage was quickly taken to our room. The staff introduced us to the guest house helpin us get a good orientation. We had a family room booked which was extremely spacious and well decerated - a nice L-shaped room giving 2 distintive sleeping areas which meant we all had our own space, and a view of Table Mountain from the balcony. Air-conditioning, fridge and drink making facilities provided but the hit was the welcome pack of fresh fruit, bottle of local port and home made cookies (the latter replenished each day to the girls delight -and the smell of baking cookies permeated the guest house). Breakfast was served in an impressive dining room with cold buffet selection plus cooked breakfast of your choice (the girls enjoyed pancakes). Home made croissants and bread were a bonus.
If you wanted to relax there was a small enclosed courtyard with sunloungers and plunge pool - a real suntrap.
In the evenings complimentary wine, sherry and port was available along wtih further home made pastries.

A number of good restaurants serving a variety of menus close by and the staff were happy to provide guidance and bookings as necessary - they also provide a shortcut route tot get you to the main street in less than 5 miniutes (walking wasnt a problem in this area).
Fiona helped us with routes to Table mountain and the coast so we were able to make the most of the hire car.
On the final day we needed to make an early departure so the kitchen was opened early for us to enable us to have a good start to the day.

Recommend this guest house for those wanting a more personal service , relaxing ambience and a base for exploring the city. Caters for all age ranges and would happily recommend to those wanting a break in Cape Town.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family