“Gracious friendly spot in Cape Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Welgelegen

Welgelegen
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Gracious friendly spot in Cape Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2008

We spent 5 nights at Welgelegen in late April and could not have been more delighted with the warm gracious feeling of the place. The owner, Fiona Evans, and her staff were available, helpful, and so friendly. It is well located -- an easy walk to Kloof Street for shops and restaurants -- with a great view of Table Mountain in the back. Our room was spacious and comfortable; the breakfast buffet and hot selections were generous and tasty. I spent most of two days in bed with a nasty flu/cold; everyone was helpful in providing tea during the day and directing my husband to the nearest pharmacy (with good suggestions for local remedies)!

• Liked — charming and comfortable
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2008

Like most Brits when I see 'Guest House' I think B&B, Eastbourne, and all that follows, in South Africa, I was told that is not the same...How enlightened those travellers who told me this are..by chance, and good fortune, I booked 4 days in the Welgelegen Guest House at the beginning of my stay in SA, I found this establishment the benchmark for the rest of my trip. I'm afraid to say only the scenery, which is awesome, lived up to my initial experience. From the moment I arrived I felt as if I hadn't left home. The service was impeccable, the staff charming; particulary the night manager, who's name I forget but his attentiveness I will not. The breakfasts should be legendary (are they already ??) the rooms sublime (I stayed in a huge room at the front of the house with the most magnificent terrace and views, room 9)...not one for long flights, or massages, on this trip I had both; the flight I can't remember much about, the massage was unforgettable. Any one who is fortunate to stay here please...
1. Go early for breakfast 'cus you'll be there all day..it's fab !!!
1a. And eat the home made 'health bread' yummy..
2. Book my room, I think it was room 9
3. Go have a massage with Cath (??)
4. Take their advice on restaurants..they're seriously cool..
5. Walk everywhere, it's so central and so quiet and not at all what I expected..

Well done all at Welgelegen !! I'll definitely be back !! Now please..!!

• Liked — Fantastic Service !!
  • Disliked — Nothing...absolutely fab stay throughout..
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Cyprus
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2008

We stayed here for our last 2 nights in Cape Town - having come in from the Winelands having stayed at Akademie in Franschoek and we initially spent 5 nights at twentytwo when we arrived in CT. If this had been our first port of call I think we'd have gone away happy - but sadly after our two amazing experiences earlier it was never going to meet our expectations and failed to excite.

We had a deluxe room which was on the small side and rather tired. Our wardrobe doors had lots of broken glass in it which had not been replaced and the the room/bathroom needed a fresh coast of paint. There were no safes in the room which we found suprising for a guesthouse of this quality. The sash windows all rattled in the wind though the bed was large and comfy with lots of cushions/pillows etc and the bathrooms were a good size.

The sitting room and outdoor area for breakfast was probably the best thing about the hotel which is a shame as it promised much from it's website.

• Stayed March 2008
2 Thank CypusDelight
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2008

The start of our stay at the Welgelegen Guest House was a typical travel story. Our plane got in late and one of our bags was lost. We were delighted to crash in our comfortable room after 9 days on safari and a long travel day.

We had pre-booked massages for the next morning which were fantastic. Then the hotel driver took us to a shopping mall so that we could get clothes and medications until the bag arrived. This level of service was continued throughout our stay. The staff and owner were exceptionally helpful and knowledgable.

The location of the hotel was ideal. Walking distance of some nice restaurants. A short cab ride to the waterfront, Table Mountain and other city activities. And it was very safe and quiet.

The breakfasts were the best that I have had at a guest house.

Overall, the Welgelegen was a gem of a guest house in a beautiful city. We would recommend it to anyone!

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank Funfifties
Anchorage
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2008

Welgelegen Guest House is right in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Beautiful and old fashion with two seperate buildings with a lovely courtyard in the middle. The management and staff are instantly like family and dealt with every request with a smile. They definetly care and have the best bread in the world.

• Liked — The very friendly feeling
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank SAsafari129
san diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2007

where to begin? you know that home you've always dreamed about where designer-wise, is exceptional and comfort-wise, is "take your shoes off and kick-back awhile"? well, look no further. this home has it all. the rooms are all different and well appointed with all the amenities you would find in a 5 star hotel. the crispy linens, the water bottles at the foot of the bed for those chilly nights, the heated towel rack...you get the picture? the living room, sitting room and dining room are right out of any city's top home design magazine. the breakfasts are plentiful and delicious, and if you want something cooked, you won't be disappointed. the spread that is served every morning is fit for a king or a queen. how about the in-house massage room that is not only serene but the massage is the perfect way to end the day? the location couldn't be better. the gardens district is centrally located to all the fine shops, galleries and restaurants, as well as, the fantastic museums and parks that capetown has to offer. it's snuggled away in a quiet residential neighborhood and very safe to walk around at night. and finally, the staff. fiona evans is a wonderful lady and as the new owner, has added her own touches to make welgelegen one of the finest bed and breakfast hotels i've ever stayed in. her staff goes above and beyond to make every guest feel like their home is your home. thanks for an incredible visit and we'll definately be back. a gem in an incredible part of the world.

jane, laura, bob and hannah

• Liked — the feeling of being at home but with people pampering you
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank sdema
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2007

I've wanted to go to S Africa for years and it certainly exceeded all of our expectations.
For our Cape Town leg I'd also considered the Cape Grace Hotel and Cape Cadogan and I'm so glad we picked Welegelegen.
The house is, as previous reviews, situated in a residential area about a 5 min walk from Kloof Street and it's beautiful.
The interior is beautifully furnished and the rooms very well appointed, we were in room 9 which felt as if we had Table Mountain on the balcony! The room was not big but not small, but the bathroom was a lovely size with lots of complimentary potions!
The nicest thing was the attention to detail and the fantastic way we were looked after by all of the staff, thank you Anine in particular. Nothing is too much trouble and we especially appreciated the flowers and champagne in the room for my husbands birthday. Whilst there we also had a full body massages from the lovely Cath and I can honestly say that it was the best massage I've had worldwide and she is a lovely lady.
Breakfasts are vast and wonderful, in fact you just have to stay.
I'm so glad we picked here as opposed to one of the bigger hotels as I don't think we would have been looked after anywhere near as well as we were.
All in all beautiful hotel, beautiful country and beautiful people.

• Liked — position, rooms and wonderful service
  • Disliked — nothing