“Beautiful African crafts at reasonable prices”

African Trading Port
Book In Advance
More Info
$15.90*
and up
V & A Waterfront Historical Guided Walking Tour in Cape Town
More attraction details
Owner description: BRAND MANTRA / PHILOSOPHY: At African Trading Port we have attempted to bring ‘Africa under one roof.’ since 1978. STORE /BOUTIQUE DETAILS: African Trading Port is housed in the V & A Waterfront’s Old Port Captain’s Building, a beautifully preserved, historical, three-story landmark from 1904. Featuring an immense array of artwork and objects d’art from practically each African country and culture, our gallery includes sculpture, artifacts, textiles, bronze ware, jewelry and more. Our unique collection is made possible by our art-scouts who travel specific regions of Africa, going deep into the rural areas and working directly with local communities. Great emphasis is placed on the originality of the goods we source and fair practices in terms of prices paid and regional laws. Our contemporary art collection focuses on the work of recognized artists however we also showcase younger, emerging artists from the African continent. Old Port Captains Building, Pierhead, Dock Road V & A Waterfront, Cape Town, 8001, South Africa. PERSONAL SHOPPER CONTACT: Personal tours available through Aviv Gruer
Huntington Beach, California
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Beautiful African crafts at reasonable prices”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

This was the best place we shopped for gifts in Africa. For my friends and me! The artists were so friendly and truly proud of their work. As well they should be. There was so many cool things to buy. Ceramics, textiles, woodworking, sculpture, pictures, jewelry. The only thing limiting me was the size of my suitcase. And, everything I bought there has become a conversation piece. All my friends loved their African travel gifts. Help out the local artists and buy your souvenirs here!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank JewelsR33

India
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent African Arts and Crafts at Good Prices”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We were in Cape Town in February and did the rounds of the various establishments selling African Craft including the Street Markets. I must say the range, quality and, surprisingly, even the prices were far superior to what we saw anywhere else. We bought some heavy Stone Sculptures weighing over a 125 Kg which they arranged to ship to us in Singapore. I am happy to say that the pieces were extremely well packed and have been delivered to us safely. I would highly recommend African Trading Port to any visitor to Cape Town who wants to carry back some Art and Craft from South Africa. We look forward to visiting them again in the future.

Visited February 2014
London
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Want them to ship something?”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

During a visit to their store I agreed to buy a large carved crocodile and wanted a price on shipping to the UK - something that they claim to be experts at. They told I had to pay for the item before they could give me a price on shipping. I'm glad I didn't do so. In the two days we were still in South Africa they failed to call back or respond to my emails. We have now left South Africa and still they have not responded to my follow-up emails. Just imagine how we would have felt if we had paid up front! They have such excellent stock but something is seriously wrong with the service attitude and ability to live up to the promises on their web site!!!

Visited November 2013
4 Thank FreqTravW
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“So much to browse, your head will spin!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Huge collection of African art, craft and artifacts. If you looking for a souvenir, you MUST pop in here! One of the upper floors had a real spooky atmosphere, creepy! The can package and post bigger items to anywhere. Whether you looking to spend R5 or a couple of thousand, you bound to find something exceptional here.

Visited August 2013
Houston, Texas
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Great place to shop for any kind of African souvenir.”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is a great place to buy just about any kind of African souvenirs. They have a lot of masks to choose from as well as wooden combs, bowls, carvings etc. The employees will not bargain with you. The prices are set. We liked the store's one-of-a-kind items that the nearby mall did not have. Employees are very helpful and knowledgeable about what country in Africa the items are from.

Visited June 2013