“Great location (if you hire a car) and friendly owner”

Amsterdam Guest House - City Bowl
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cape Town Central
Amsterdam Guest House - City Bowl
Ranked #128 of 156 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Stockholm, Sweden
“Great location (if you hire a car) and friendly owner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I wanted to stay at a place to meet fellow travelers to do things with as I traveled by myself. Amsterdam Guest House is just perfect. However, it's better that you hire a car as it's located up the hill in a very nice and safe residential area.

The owner Lorens is very friendly and helpful. I read the review about the breakfast before my stay and agree that the breakfast was delicious. Just let Lorens know what you like and he will make it the way you like it.

I ended up meeting fellow travelers from Sydney, Brussels and Paris and we got to go sight-seeing and doing things together, which was really nice. People are very down-to-earth and easy going, unlike the pretentious crowds at The Glen.

The guest house has AC, a pool, sun deck, steam room, sauna, Jacuzzi.

The only thing that I wish they had was to organize, perhaps, one night of gathering for any travelers who would like to get to know the rest of the guests and perhaps has a small party.

I stayed at another hotel in City Bowl (downtown) for a few days after 6 days of stay as the guest house was completely booked. However, I still prefer the location of the guest house as it's safe, quiet and very beautiful. I will definitely go back again.

The best of all, I have made a bunch of good friends as a result of staying there.

Room Tip: get the deluxe room and book ahead of time.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank resakille

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
New Enterprise, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Amsterdam Guest House for six days beginning New Year’s Eve 2011-2012. We made reservations at the Amsterdam back at the end of August and Lourens was a great help to us in suggesting places to stay on the Eastern Cape before our arrival in Cape Town and great source of suggestions for places to eat and tour during our stay in Cape Town. We loved the ambiance of the Amsterdam Guest House with its lovely living room and pool and sauna area, and the amazing breakfast that Lourens and the magnificent staff served every morning. Truly, you can have breakfast (which they serve from 8 till 12 noon) and not worry about eating till dinner. Lourens was a wealth of knowledge about anything you wanted to know about regarding Cape Town and his making reservations made things even easier. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Amsterdam Guest House and our stay in Cape Town.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LeeHay
Barcelona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2011

Not only the place, but the manager, the cleanliness, the views, and the feeling to be like at home. The best choice for a trip in Cape Town... of course the main choice if you're looking for a gay accomodation. I will back!!!
You need transportation to move around but taxis are very cheap (3€ from almost any point to the guest house)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank dean_bcn
Taipei
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

My partner and I stayed at the Amsterdam Guest House in February 2011.

We stayed in the Executive suite,which had a wonderful bathroom! The room was quite spacious with beautiful views of Cape Town Harbor. Tea and coffee making facilities.Unfortunately no bar fridge.My partner complained about the comfortable level of the bed.

Our bathroom had it's own hot tub with an excellent view of Table Mountain as well as the (clothing optional) swimming pool!

The breakfast was nice.We always got excellent service! A nice touch was the honesty bar!

Our host Lourens was excellent and we loved his dog Boytjie.We met some very nice friends during our stay and we are still in contact with them.

It can be quite difficult to get around if you don't have your own transportation,but there is a taxi service you can call. We haven't experienced any problems at all.

All in all a nice place to stay.If you want to escape the noise and crowds and want to meet some wonderful people,this is the place to stay!

Room Tip: The Executive Suite has the best views by far!
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohnofTaipei
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2010

Stayed here over Christmas and New Year 2009-2010 in very clean and comfortble room with excellent facilities. Agree with most comments here but I think it is only fair to point out that you need your own transport when staying here. If you don't hire a car you have to rely on taxis into town and around the area and this can work out quite expensive (though cheaper than car hire). It is about 40 rand to town and about 60 to the Waterfront (with tips). We took about 4 taxis every day and the cost mounted up. The main problem is the hassle you have with taxi drivers who haven't a clue where they are going and those who deliberately take the longest route to rip you off. If assertiveness is not one of your strengths you will have a problem! Learn the main streets by heart (not too difficult) and then direct the drivers yourself! Would stay more central next time as there is only a small deli nearby and nothing else so you can be a bit cut off. Walking into town is not really a problem during the day but it is all up hill coming back and in summer it's a killer. Having said that the views are good!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Idders
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2009

I have discovered Amsterdam Guesthouse in 2001. I have stayed there seven times since. Always welcomed nicely. Clean, spacious and comfortable rooms. I could make a few remarks on a few number of things like the limited number of TV channels, instability of the Wireless Internet access (although always working fine enough to work), or the noise sometimes heard from various sources. But the location is great for those who do not want to stay in the Sea Point area (more noisy, and less secure, but more lively). The Amsterdam Guest house is located in the City Bowl , above the Down Town business district, and only 5 min away by car. Stunning view and clean area. Breakfast is absolutely fantastic and to your wishes and will be served almost all morning... No constraining rules. I will definitely go back there once more next year. Bravo to all of the staff over there. See you next year.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank msegard
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

I went to Cape Town for business; my stay was paid at the upmarket Southern Sun Waterfront Hotel (SSWH) but I decided to go 2 days in advance and stayed at Amsterdam Guest House. When I had to move to SSWH I was completely heartbroken, I felt like Adam being expelled from Paradise!!

At Amesterdam, Lourens and his team made me feel completely at home, my room was wonderful with perfect linen et all necessary ammenities! It was far better than what I got later at SSWH.

Lourens treated me as if I was an old friend. He helped me plan my activities around the sites I wanted to visit.

Back from hikes I allowed my muscles and bones to melt in the hot garden spa...

Amsterdam Guest House is a gay man only accomodation.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business