“Very Moving”

South African Jewish Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: The museum narrates the story of South African Jewry from its early beginnings, set against the backdrop of South African history over a period of more than 150 years. We cover a number of areas of interest, including South African history, mining, commerce, Eastern European history, contemporary South African politics as well as an overview of the Jewish community’s contribution in all its aspects of South African history and conscience. An exclusive documentary film – "Nelson Mandela. A Righteous Man", is screened throughout the day, a documentary, which has won wide acclaim at the Brighton, Vancouver and Toronto Film Festivals.
Reviewed September 24, 2012

A most thought provoking experience. Mans inhumanity to man is quite beyond comprehension. Every child should visit with their parents. We must never forget.

All reviews
in 112 reviews
"contribution"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Went to the Jewish museum sometime last year and wasn't really sure what to expect but after the visit I was very glad that I had gone.
First of all there is a disabled parking bay but it took some navigating to get past the drums which are there I suppose to deter others. Getting past the drums took some elbow grease from the security guard and my friend as the drum had to be moved so I could get out but from there it’s easy access all the way.
You start in the old Synagogue, which for me is just beautiful; I love the "old" feel which one gets at certain places. And from there you go through the exhibition section, on the lower level which is accessed either via a stunning staircase or a lift you enter the old village (I think it’s called a shtetl), the detail is brilliant... Back up in the lift and there is another lift close to the coffee shop which will take you to the Cape Town Holocaust Centre. It was quite an emotional visit.
We ended off our visit with a cup of tea at Café Riteve (if I remember correctly).

1  Thank kaAngel
Reviewed September 7, 2012

A few blocks from the Green Market Square area of Cape Town, the museum is not more than a 10 minute drive from the Waterfront area (about R40.00 or $5.00). Security is tight so expect your bags to be searched as you sign in at the front gate. As you do the self-guided tour of the museum, there are many artifacts to look at as well as many storyboards and videos showing a history of the Jewish people in Cape Town. There was so much to read and see, our 1 1/2 hours there flew by. Unfortunately, time did not allow for us to tour the holocaust museum but we did have a few minutes to check out the small gift shop where I bought a beautiful metal art piece at a reasonable price hand made in Cape town. A cafe in the same building had snacks and drinks which my mom enjoyed. My only regret is that we ran out of time as the museum closes promptly at 5:00pm. To do this museum right, please allow at least 2-3 hours. We decided to walk back to the V & A Waterfront which turned out to be a nice walk, all downhill, and took us about 45 minutes. Don't do this walk after dark as once the business district closes down, it is unwise to stroll the streets in this area.

1  Thank Marie-52PeakClub
Reviewed September 1, 2012

The museum was closed for refurbishment when I arrived in Cape Town at the end of July but open when I was back in late August. Very well laid out with good graphics, visuals and audio telling the story of the Jews in the Cape and the experience of European Jews in the 1939-1945 holocaust. Many survivors made their way to South Africa so there is plenty of personal testimony.
I spent 4 hours in the museum which is some testimony to its interest. After 4 weeks along the western Cape and Garden Route, this was the best museum I visited

1  Thank geoffandre