Two things stand out for me at Big Blue Backpackers:
1) The front desk staff are NOT very helpful, and when they are, it is based purely on whether they like you or not and not on any service based requirement where everyone should be treated equally.
The one receptionist, vacillates between indifference to coming across as depressed on most days and battles to make eye contact with the guests.
The other one just looks thouroughly bored.
The owner himself is known for having bouts of extreme moodiness and then taking out his issues on the receptionists, often berating them in full view of other guests and being totally oblivious to the fact that he is emotionally abusing his staff.
The upside is that there is access to Internet facilities (NOT 24 hour and fast as vikki_sanchez would have you believe).
It is conveniently located 15 minutely walk from the V & A Waterfront and Cape Town Stadium where most international concerts are held.
So, if you can deal with the fickle receptionists whose moods change and depend on how they themselves are being treated by the owner, it's all-in-all an okay place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our backpackers is located centrally in Cape Town, in walking distance from the V&A Waterfront and the city centre (both 10 minutes walk). We offer a great location at afforadable prices with friendly and helpful staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Agoda, Booking.com and HostelWorld so you can book your Big Blue Backpackers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Big Blue Backpackers Hotel Cape Town Central
- Big Blue Backpackers Cape Town, South Africa