“Passed its shelf life”

Ranked #70 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Vancouver, Canada
“Passed its shelf life”
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Stayed at the Fritz the second time in 5 years. Nothing has changed, I mean nothing. Bathroom and room were clean but are in desperate need of updating. Lights, curtains, floor coverings, all look ancient. Staff is friendly but more interested in watching TV than assisting guests. However, once asked for info will find the information. If you plan to stay here during the winter months be sure to dress very warmly as the hotel will not be heated except for your room where an electric heater is placed.Breakfast is excellent but lacks variety. Location is super - lots of eateries and shops nearby.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank vanspike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Turkish first
New York, NY
Reviewed June 23, 2010

The Fritz was more like a hostel. The room smelled horribly like smoke and made my clothes smell like smoke. the rug on the floor was really dirty. The toilet is in a closet and was gross. Honestly I felt dirty being in the room. And since it was World Cup time it wasn't even that cheap. There are soooo many great hotels in Cape Town. I'm all for the charm of an "Inn" but this place just needs too much upgrading.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank perrystreet
Broomfield, Colorado
Reviewed June 20, 2010

We spent 4 nights at the Fritz and found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. We also enjoyed the breakfast buffets. The hotel is a little older, and could use a little updating, but for the price you get a comfortable place in a great location. The only criticism I could really offer is that the rooms (at least ours) did not have central heat - there was an electric radiator that you had to turn on and position as desired (we were there at the end of May). Wi-fi was available in our room, and when the person on duty overheard me say that the wi-fi had gone down (she was on the phone, and I didn't want to interrupt her conversation to tell her), she remedied the situation and then called me in my room to let me know the network was up again. I didn't even tell her directly there was a problem, nor did I tell her what room I was in. She just overheard me talking, and then followed up.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2010

wonderful character and charm--quiet-near restaurant row--wonderful breakfasts. good interaction with staff.

Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed April 14, 2009

This reasonably priced hotel was perfect for a 3-night visit to Cape Town. The rooms were nice, though nothing fancy. That suited me fine, since I was out of the room for most of the day. I was fortunate to have a view of Table Mountain (though slightly obstructed by a construction crane from another property). Bed linens were nice. The owner is incredibly friendly and welcoming. Unfortunately, the woman who staffed the reception area at other times was not as friendly and could offer no restaurant recommendations--pretty disappointing for a city known for its excellent food. The included breakfast was very nice. The location was convenient and felt safe. I would definitely stay here again if I return to Cape Town.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
Lucerne
Reviewed November 1, 2008

We were very disappointed by the staff. They didn't greet us when we came and we had a dead fly on the wall of our sleeping room from day one until check-out. They did not feel they should take care of the room, instead, they were out in the garden smoking all day. Their kitchen did not meet basic standard and the coffee was undrinkable. Never again!!

• Liked — vicinity to centre
  • Disliked — our room was left open with all the hotels roomkeys in the lock. no one was inside
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank Pilatusblick
Bochum, Germany
Reviewed August 18, 2008

I booked this hotel because of excellent ratings I found on the internet and I liked the hotel website a lot. Some days after booking - 14 days before our stay - I came across the tripadvisor site. I disliked the bathroom photos so much that I wanted to cancel our stay. I wrote a mail to the FRITZ, but got no answer, so I phoned the hotel at the next morning. They told me, I was too late for cancelling. Cancellation policy said cancellation is not possible after 14 days.

After my call they took immediately 20% of our total amount from my credit card.
After some more phone calls I negotiated we would stay for just wo days (the 20% they took). They promised to give us their best room. I was rather happy then.

Since I saw the room and met the staff. Maybe they did not like us because of our former problem (even if the phone calls were rather nice) They did not even smile or say hello. But may otherwise they are nice women.

Unfortunately the room was awful, worn out, filthy carpet, two dead insects between the sheets and - worst - the toilet was a board container in the middle of the room. If that was the best room I definitely would not like to stay in one of the others.

All in all: for a really low cost budget hostel it would have been absolutely okay, but at the rates of the FRITZ there are lots of lovely rooms to find in Cape Town (like we did afterwards).

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room, staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank nokkk