We stayed with friends at An African Villa for 4 nights recently. It is made up of 3 buildings that have been knocked through to form one large property. We were welcomed by Antoinette when we arrived and given a detailed tour of the property. Unfortunately there was no one on hand to take our cases up the several flights of stairs and there is no lift. We were in a platinum room C4 whilst our friends were in B4. Both of these rooms were comfortable and had a balcony which you could sit out on. Unfortunately our friends balcony had a massive tree right in front of it so they got NO sun and could see very little....might be worth looking to have this removed.
Breakfast was a bit hit and miss as they had a couple of new staff members who didn't always fully understand what we wanted. The house also runs an honesty bar which supplied wine, beer and soft drinks all at a very reasonable price. An alternate suggestion, given that this is a 4 star property and it is 2014, would be to actually place small fridges in the platinum rooms. The guest house has a telephone installed in on of the lounge areas which you can connect straight to a taxi company. We had mixed success with these from the very punctual driver to the very late and didn't know where he was going driver.
The guys were great in suggesting a umber of places to eat and we ate in quite a few. Millers Thumb, Mano a Mano, Beluga and Ricks Cafe American. All were great.
One word of warning to anyone travelling to Cape Town for the 1st time. ONLY get in to a taxi if it has a working meter. There are stacks of cars advertising themselves as metered cabs which aren't. We had a very interesting evening having been stopped in a dodgy cab by an unmarked police car!!!!!
If you are looking to catch some rays whilst here I wouldn't hold your breath. The pool area is very small and there were only 4 sunbeds which given that they have in excess of 12 rooms is poor.
However all in all a great place and Louis and Antoinette certainly were great hosts.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This Villa is much more than that! It is in fact three houses which are part of a Victorian terrace dating from 1892. The double story houses have been joined together and so the inside spaces are much larger than the facade suggests. It's like walking into a TARDIS someone has written on Tripadvisor! There are 12 rooms and the hotel is owner managed.Location is vital when choosing a spot for you vacation and this more than a Villa is within an easy walk of all tourist attractions in the city area. The others (like the fabulous beaches) are a short taxi ride away.There is a small plunge pool in a peaceful courtyard where a very full breakfast is served in summer. (In winter there's a sociable dining room and an eco-friendly fire blazing). Your hosts are very careful to offer you as much information as you want and they will arrange car rental, restaurant reservations, tours etc. As required.Free internet on 2 computers in a library area and wireless access is available in all rooms. At night the night porter will set out complimentary sherry and port and at other times there is an honesty bar and guest fridge in the kitchen. Parking is on street and there is no charge (street guards patrol) but you should not need a car from this well placed hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your An African Villa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- An African Villa Hotel Cape Town Central
- An African Hotel
- An African Cape Town
- An African Villa Cape Town, South Africa