“A very nice place to stay in Cape Town” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of An African Villa

An African Villa
Ranked #6 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Los Angeles, California
“A very nice place to stay in Cape Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

We had a three night stay in room # 2, upstairs. The room was very nice, tastefully decorated, with a small balcony overlooking Table Mountain, a very modern, medium size bathroom with shower and a bathtub. Everything was spotless and all expected amenities were there, Wi-Fi including.
The entire house was wonderfully decorated with African Art, much of which was also available for purchase, on some large shelves, downstairs, to the right of the two/three (?) computers available for the guests’ use. Function of the weather, breakfast was served either in the small backyard or in the lunch room, it was consistently tasty and the three ladies serving it were pleasant and helpful. Special thanks to Luis, who was always ready to answer our questions and was always helpful.
The rooms upstairs, facing the Table Mountain may be a bit noisy in the evening, from the people chatting downstairs in the lounge or by the computers.
The villa is located in the mostly residential and very safe area of Tamboerskloof and there are a few good restaurants within ten minutes walk to the right of the villa towards the Long Street. Most everything you’d need or like to see in Cape Town is within walking distance, including the amazing Waterfront which is about half an hour of safe, brisk walk away. Beware, most places in town close at 5 p.m. with the exception of the Waterfront where shops close at 7 p.m.
We had a very nice stay at An African Villa and if we ever return to Cape Town, we’ll stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

When we arrived from Toronto via Johannesburg without our luggage, Cindy immediately got on the phone to the airport to track it down assuring us it would arrive later that evening...this was really appreciated. The entire home is decorated tastefully with lots of local art. In the lounge, there was a list of various restaurant recommendations for the guests. Breakfast was wonderful...a cold buffet (which was more than sufficient) and then a made to order hot special of the day. All of the staff were extremely friendly and service was exceptional. If I ever return to Cape Town, this is where I would stay and highly recommend to others!
Val

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

A true 'find' - fabulously stylish rooms, special touches and a great, friendly service from everyone. Wonderful breakfast - especially the poached eggs!

Brilliant advice for getting the best out of our visit to Cape Town and lots of local tips - the Biscuit Mill on Saturday morning is a must!

Thanks for looking after us.

• Stayed October 2013
Casablanca, Morocco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Great rooms, large, nicely furnished. Very welcoming staff, spend as much time as needed with you. Great breakfast. Nice and safe area. All at a decent price.
Nothing more to ask ! Go to an African Villa and enjoy Cape Town !

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

The generous and thoughtful hands-on service by the owners of An African Villa places them at the very top of my list for outstanding service out of all 67 places I have reviewed on tripadvisor to date! Four thumbs up! My husband and I spent 7 delightful nights in a large Platinum class room with a comfty King bed at An African Villa in the "city bowl" area of Cape Town. I exchanged emails with the owners over a period of 11 months, so by the time we arrived, I already felt comfortable with them, and they knew our preferences.

Jimmy and Keith were my anchor as I planned our first trip to South Africa. I emailed a zillion questions to them about Cape Town and the Western Cape, and they responded within 24 hours, which is impressive when you consider the time difference between Cape Town and San Diego, California! Below are examples of the many generous services that the owners provided to us:

--I booked An African Villa first. Then I emailed them to ask if they knew of an accommodation in the winelands with an indoor heated pool for swimming laps. One of the Villa owners actually phoned the tourist office in the winelands to get this info for me!

--Keith welcomed us graciously with tea upon arrival, and sat down with us to provide a thorough orientation to the area.

--Our room was already warmed up for us when we entered it! There was an extra heater in the room as well, but we didn't end up needing the extra heater. I had emailed the owners in advance to let them know that I am very sensitive to the cold at night due to an underactive thyroid. We were cozy and warm at the Villa.

--Jimmy was petting his sleepy dog in the office one afternoon. We asked him about the hours and crowds for the pool at the local gym. Jimmy jumped up and unexpectedly gave us a ride to the gym so that I could fit in an exercise swim before the pool got crowded! He even offered to let me borrow his swim cap. Such a generous man! We took a taxi back to the hotel after my swim, to save my sore feet, but if you are in good shape you could walk back.

--Louis made us a dinner reservation one night for Indian food at Bukhara. He told us the portions are generous, and suggested we take the leftovers to go and put them in the guest frig at the Villa. Louis personally heated up our leftovers for us the next day for our lunch and set us up at the table with dishes.

--I was stressed before the trip and at the last minute I emailed the Villa and asked them to choose and reserve a nearby restaurant for our first dinner on the day of our arrival. Done! We were delighted with our dinner at the nearby Miller's Thumb, which is relaxing and welcoming, and has fantastic fish!

--I researched a variety of half-day tours of Cape Town, but ended up letting Jimmy book us a half-day Township tour with an engaging local man who grew up in one of the Townships. Thabang Titotti picked us up at the Villa and gave us an insider's tour of the Townships. It was a very interesting and informative experience. From my experience, I really trust the recommendations of the Villa owners.

The Villa is run by the 4 hands-on owners, together with their capable staff. There was always someone in the office downstairs when we needed help with anything.

ROOM:

I loved our room, which was a spacious room for a 7-night stay, upstairs and facing a quiet street, and with a little balcony overlooking the quiet street. (Didn't use the balcony.) I recommend this larger room for a stay of more than 3 nights. Large Platinum class room with comfty King bed and space for luggage. Plenty of heat. Shower and separate tub. Tea and coffee in room. 2 armchairs. Quiet at night.

Personally I would be content with any of the rooms upstairs at An African Villa. But my favorite is our room because it's larger. Since I'm a light sleeper and sensitive to noise, I wouldn't book a downstairs room for myself. But I'm sure some folks are happy sleeping there, judging from the other reviews.

Because of all of our emails before the trip, I learned the names of the owners before we arrived in Cape Town. I especially want to thank Jimmy and Keith for their extraordinary kindness and generous hospitality.

BREAKFAST:

Breakfast was tasty home-style cooking, along with a buffet. There was enough variety for our 7-night stay. The buffet included cheeses, fresh fruit salad including fresh tropical fruit, cereals, fresh breads, yogurt, and something new each day. Cooked breakfast choices included eggs, bacon, tomato, mushroom... And on some mornings there was home-style French toast with cinnamon and sugar. Yummy! One morning there was Welsh Rarebit, which is a cheesy delicacy. Tea and coffee were both hot and good quality. (I enjoy dark roast coffee with a smooth acidity. I'm fairly picky about my coffee. I enjoyed the coffee at the Villa. Sometimes I had tea for variety.)

LOCATION:
I rated An African Villa as 4 out of 5 stars for having a very good location. An African Villa is located in a pleasant, safe neighborhood in the "city bowl" area of Cape Town. If you have a car, as we did, it's centrally located for a huge variety of day tours. If you are in good shape, you can walk to some restaurants and sites, and you can walk to a park. But if you have any impaired mobility, as I did, just keep in mind that you will need to take a taxi or drive your car to get to many sites and restaurants, to save your sore feet. ( In my case, I was wearing new orthotics for plantar fasciitis, so my walking ability on hard city pavements was somewhat limited.) No matter where you stay in Cape Town, you will still have to consider your transportation options, as you can't walk everywhere in this big city. Luckily, we relied on the owners of the Villa to give us parking tips, and we found a parking spot without much difficulty wherever we drove in the city. A GPS is very handy for driving in Cape Town! We rented a GPS at our car rental agency.

Conclusion:

There is a dizzying variety of accommodations in the Cape Town area. I won't hesitate to book with An African Villa again on our next trip to Cape Town, because the spacious room was very comfortable, the breakfast was tasty with enough variety for our 7-night stay, the prices reasonable, and the hands-on service by the owners was outstandingly kind and thoughtful, and is absolutely unmatched in my experience of travel!

Room Tip: The Platinum class room with King bed facing a Quiet street is the largest room type, and I recommen...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Melissa5
Glos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

We were so well looked after by Jimmy and Louis at An African Villa that we returned there again after our travels at the end of our visit! They cannot do enough for you - sound advice and recommendations - coupled with extraordinarily comfy beds and great breakfasts. Its fantastic. Many thanks!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hoboken, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

We LOVED our stay at An African Villa. The guesthouse/B&B is beautifully decorated and really charming. Cindy and the team were so wonderful and kind, and helpful in helping us plan tours, get cabs, and provide restaurant recommendations (both before we got there and while there). The breakfasts were hearty and delicious! The neighborhood was quiet, lovely and safe. There were lots of restaurants and shops that you can walk to, so its very convenient. It's a longer walk down to the V&A Waterfront, but still doable during the day. I would absolutely recommend anyone stay there if they're looking for a comfortable and personalized experience in lovely Cape Town!

Room Tip: We stayed in 2B - it was on the ground floor with windows right on the road and adjacent to the comm...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple