“Can I move in, I promise to keep my room clean.”
Review of An African Villa

An African Villa
Ranked #7 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Toronto, Canada
“Can I move in, I promise to keep my room clean.”
Reviewed June 14, 2011

You walk in to a misleading foyer. Once you turn the corner the B&B opens up like the décor out of a home magazine. Getting the tour, the enormity of the home unveils itself. Huge living areas, dinning areas and a gourmet kitchen I would sacrifice the last dodo bird for. Our bedroom had the softest sheets which called for my body immediately. The style modern washroom screams decadence that I quiver in anticipation to use. The balcony opened up over the wading pool and lounge area, too cold, but the view of Table Mountain was incredible!
Free WiFi, community computer, safety deposit box, in room coffee/tea, travel books was much appreciated.
No alarm clock needed, the smells from the morning breakfast bring our eyes to an open. Great spread of fresh baked goods, a selection of cheeses and fresh juices. The fresh ginger loaf was like eating cotton candy. It was so soft it disintegrated into my taste buds. Eggs done the way you want with all the other fixins' and we started our day with a big smile on our faces. The honor-bar was great too, with water, juices and snacks available.
The staff was fantastic, readily to help with recommendations and pointers. They stored our luggage for the whole day as we went off for a full day tour, and they even gave us a ride to our next hotel (tour pick up from a different hotel).

The B&B is a 10 minute walk to a great street with lined with many great restaurants. Panama Jacks was a local seafood resto favorite, and *blushingly* we loved Ocean Basket as well (coming from where we are, a fresh shrimp is like gold to us)
As well a short cab ride into the downtown, harbor and right around the corner to Table Mountain.

Overall, for their price range, this was the best place I have stayed at - ever.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TLTraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 13, 2011

All the amazing reviews about this gorgeous B&B are 100% accurate! We absolutely LOVED our stay here and would return in a heart beat.
The ambience is lovely and you just feel at home the minute you walk in the door! The decor is amazing, the owners are FABULOUS (Louis inparticular for us!) and the staff are lovely too.

We stayed in a bronze room as we didn't plan to spend much time in our room and it was all we needed & VERY clean which is very important to us. The breakfast was wonderful and the advice on all the places to eat and shop were just an added feature.

The suburb is lovely & safe and you can walk around without any problems at all.

Love, Love, Love this place and we will return as soon as we can!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank melbournetravellers
Bristol
Reviewed June 5, 2011

I can't really add anything to all the many previous comments about how amazing this place is.. It is exceptional. The service, free internet, fridge to keep your own food/drink in all made to a really hassle free holiday. The complimentary port to sip whilst playing backgammon in the evenings was a particular highlight. We simply loved Cape Town and would move there in a flash. We had the best food we have ever eaten and would particularly recommend SALT, Harbour House (Kalk Bay), the Codfather and the Savoy Cabbage to eat at. We also had a lovely picnic in the grounds of Kirtsenboch and would really recommend doing this whilst going to one of their sunday concerts. All in all a great value, very special place.

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BristolKit
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 2, 2011

This is a gem! A very beautiful, well kept renovated villa in a safe and accesible part of Cape Town-lovely, spacious comfortable room-delicious, fresh full breakfast served in a pretty backyard gardent with pool-
Best of all was the service and accesibility of the owners
Jimmy provided wonderful information and was very attentive to our needs-we didn't have to use any guidebooks-we just followed his excellent suggestions re restaurants, sights and safety-
Terrific stay and excellent value!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Stayed in An African Villa for five days in May. Splurged on a Platinum room with a view of Table Mountain and the Lion's Head, the only way to go. Room was lovely, though I think smaller than others that faced on the street that were less expensive. Only complaint -- the bed was a bit hard, but nothing that really disturbed our sleep or our stay. The owners, a quartet, were helpful and engaging, the breakfast quite good. The owners even got me special food needed for my limited diet. The place is beautifully appointed, three older brick homes joined together into an inn with 12 rooms, and located in a quiet residential neighborhood, though a close walk to the many shops and restaurants on nearby Kloof Street. The free internet was especially nice to have. It is a close cab ride to stunning Table Mountain, and shops further towards downtown. If you really like walking, as we do, you can go by foot down to the waterfront, the Malay Quarter and the Cape Quarter. Highly recommended is the excursion to Robben Island, and an all-day trip to the Cape of Good Hope and back. You can hire a driver/guide recommended by the hotel, in our case the lovely Tania. The trip is not cheap, nor is Cape Town for the depressed US dollar, but the physical beauty of the region is deeply compelling. You will certainly feel the racial tensions and the economic disparity, but such is the measure of life at this time in South Africa. It made for an even more intriguing trip as a whole as we knew we were tourist voyeurs, soon to leave. I would not think of staying at a hotel in Cape Town, just make a beeline to An African Villa. Oh, and spend the extra few dollars to have your luggage wrapped in plastic as an extra, though not fail-safe precaution. Friends had their baggage pilfered at Joburg airport, though we came through just fine.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Danrather
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2011

This Boutique Hotel was in a very safe area,although close to all the main attractions.As I was travelling on my own I found the warm welcome and personal service invaluable. I would have no hessitation staying in this beautiful hotel again. The complimentary port and sherry went down a treat in the evening.....

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank paulineellis1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2011

I stayed for 3 nights after some of my SA friends recommended staying in Tamboerskoof and I found this on TripAdvisor. It didn't disappoint.

It's located on a quiet street in Tamboerskloof which is indeed a lovely neighbourhood. No traffic noise, safe and a short walk to some nice restaurants, bars and shops on Kloof and Kloofnek street. The V & A waterfront is only a short cab ride away (50 rand).

The guesthouse itself is full of character and very nicely decorated; modern with touches of Africa dotted everywhere. My platinum class room was the same. I requested a room with a view of Table Mountain and the view from my Juliette terrace was indeed very nice! The lounge area is lovely with magazines & newspapers to read as well as 2 nicely equipped computers with free internet access so you can keep in touch with the world.

Breakfast each morning was delicious. The usual help yourself cereals, pasties, juices and tea/coffee along with cooked breakfast options cooked exactly to what you want and how you like it. Many thanks to Portia - my eggs, tomatoes, sausages and bacon always launched me into the day perfectly! I had breakfast in the courtyard, under the sun, on my last day and that was a great way to check out.

Jimmy, one of the co-owners, was the manager in charge during most of my stay and he couldn't have been more helpful. He organised cabs to the V & A as well my trips to Cape Point and Table Mountain with very short notice. He was also very helpful in suggesting other things to and the place to see and avoid. Although I met Louis and Cindy very briefly they were also never less than helpful and hospitable.

My only regret is that I only had 3 nights in Cape Town and An African Villa.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo