“Home in Cape Town” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #124 of 163 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Hong Kong, China
“Home in Cape Town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

As a first-timer to Cape Town and not the "group touring" type I was determent to have a memorable trip with getting to know the local detail and people.

After a 20 hour flight I wanted a fresh , clean , safe and welcoming place as my base from where I can explore. The staff was welcoming and helpful with a quick and easy checkin process. The decor is pleasing , functional , stylish with a touch of character. This made my stay a comfortable and happy experience.

The semi open plan bathroom with frosted glass created a a interesting modern sexy setting... Pitty I was alone .. Haha
The eating area has inside and outside area that is ideal for a fresh morning coffee and breakfast. These area's were ideal for chilling out during the day and evenings.

This hotel is located on Main Road, Sea Point. It's so convenient to stay there because one has grocery shops, cafes, restaurants, laundary shops and supermarkets on the same road that gives the area it's own unique convenient character . It is not so far away from all major attractions like Table Mountain, The V&A Waterfront, Cape Quarter , Long street and beaches. This convenience created more freedom to explore Cape Town.

The Casa Elena staff is friendly, and they know Cape Town very well. I did not really plan for this trip therefore I'm glad that the knowledgeable staff assisted me with tours and excursions and detailed interesting places to visit away from all the tourists.

I am looking forward to going back to Casa Elena to visit my friends made in Cape Town some local , some from Europe , Brazil and USA . So by the way what a surprise to find Cape Town being so cosmopolitan with food from the east to the west and local, this reflects the visitors many models from all over the world for film and advert shoots, retired Europeans settling for a better life style and many visitors from the greater China and south east asia regions.

This was an ideal breakaway from Hong Kong see you soon CAPE TOWN !

Chad

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Chad C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Thai first
Brazil
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

The room it´s brand new, beautiful furniture, nice beeds, good location, clean... but there'sno air condicioner and the toilete has no door... no parking area (you must park on the street), has few tv channels (with a poor signal) , the internet of my mobile it´s better than here, and the breakfast is too late (starts at 08:15h, we´ll have to buy something outside cause i've already scheduled a tour for 9am).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PEDRO F
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

A lovely hide out in the heart of seapoint. A place I would definitely visit again. Suitable for friends and family, business and leisure as well.
Quite place.. conveniently situated close to restaurants and coffee shops. A walking distance you dont have to use your car.
The staff is excellent, welcoming and makes you feel at home.
Beds and sheets are clean as well as the bathrooms (towels .etc)
Something I loved very much.
I really enjoyed my time with my friends. Hoping to come back very soon..!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ftchiwoniso
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

Lovely boutique hotel. Close to all amenities (public transport, shopping center and beaches) and helpful staff. Our room had a beautiful view of the mountain, our own garden, big en-suite and not to mention very neat, clean and tidy. My family and I enjoyed our stay and recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Leizl W
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

Had a terrible experience staying at this so-called boutique hotel. This hotel is technically in Seapoint but not in the hub of the area – a bit on the dodgy side. There are far better hotels at the same price that you can stay at in Capetown. Spend your dollars somewhere else.

The good - sheets were clean.

The bad - The front desk staff was condescending and down right rude to me and my partner at times when we asked questions. There is no real customer service here to make you feel welcomed.
The room we stayed at did not have a bathroom door or even a door for the shower so water had leaked everywhere. There are close to no amenities in this place, very bare bones. I also thought it was quite shady that they could not produce an official receipt for me when I checked out and paid. They had promised to email me a receipt and other details and had never bothered. The rate my friend who also stayed at this place at the same time paid a completely different rate than what I was charged. In summary I had a terrible experience at this place. The photos they have on their website are not a reflection of the actual experience of being there in person.

I would highly recommend to not stay at this terrible hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank fuffybear888

Travelers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

Sea Point, Western Cape, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

An interesting hideaway close to everything in seapoint.
Reception is going through some renovation , but the calming waterfall feature and helpful staff took my eyes off the worked on area.

Our room and shower was spacious and equipped with quality white towels and linen , thank heavens after a drawn out airport que.

The passage area though clean could do with some indoor plants to damper the slight echo when others chat on their way to their rooms and it will add to the homely feel.

Over all a happy stay and we shall return for future stays.

Room Tip: "front room 3 best!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Deona C
Cape Town
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

What bothers me most is that I actually found a few good reviews on this place... I'm quite sure they weren't actually done by people who stayed there.

On arrival, there was no one to welcome my husband and I or sign us in. We had to phone a cell phone number as there was no land line. That was already weird. Being that there was no reception area, we stood in the passage of the hotel (still wondering if we can call it that) and when the manager finally arrived, we heard him bad-mouth us to one of his employees. His face, of course, fell when he walked straight into us while speaking about us. What a welcome.

On the plus side, the bedrooms were relatively clean, the sheets and towels were white and the bed was clean. That's it.

On the down side: the "fully stocked bar" contained two small cokes. Period. A wall of glass doors and windows all looked straight into a block of flats, so we had to keep the curtains closed so that we wouldn't be stared down by the neighbours. There was no parking, so we had to park in the street (it's not the best area in town). And then, when we finally went to sleep, we couldn't. At least not for longer than an hour at a time. Being that the floors were all wood and tiles, we could hear every little noise. Literally. Every time someone opened their room door, every time someone crawled up the stairs, every whisper, every sound - we heard it echoing through our bedroom! On top of that, the geyser must have been situated near our bedroom, because every time someone opened a tap (which we also heard in detail) it sounded as if someone knocked at our door.

Finally, at 6am, I fell asleep. Only to be awoken 45 minutes later by cleaning staff, shouting to each other from one room to the next. It was loud. And it lasted a few hours.

Never have we left a hotel so drained, tired and annoyed. And, just to make our stay that little bit more annoying, when we went to pay we were informed that the card machine had been out of order for a while. Not the day before. Not a few hours before. No. So, we first had to draw cash, return to the scene and then pay.

Not happy.