“Great sunset view of Cape Town”
Review of Top of the Ritz - CLOSED

Top of the Ritz
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 30, 2013

What a great way to enjoy the sunset over the ocean and Sea Point, Cape Town. We had a great evening, the food portions were substantial and the service was excellent. Sharon was great on the piano! The decor may be a little 70's, but I think it adds to the charm of the venue - almost retro. The desserts are a must - especially the crepe suzette - a fun experience when they light the dessert at the table.
A great unpretentious gem of Sea Point.

1  Thank Andrew_SouthAfrica1
There are newer reviews for Top of the Ritz

Reviewed April 17, 2013

The view is gorgeous from this restuarant and we arrived just in time in time to see the sunset.
The food is hearty and tasty. The menu is quite varied-there is quite a selection for vegetarians and carnivores, as well as those with a sweet tooth. Do try the chocolate fondue with fresh fruits-it is excellent. The service is average, but could be better and certaintly as the evening progressed the service waned even further.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Having been a visitor to the ritz on several occasions i felt this would be last!!! I booked a meal before leaving the Uk to impress my wife.
on arrival to the hotel not a single person on reception even said Hi!! we made our way to the lift and only to find that the restaurant shared the hotel lift. Strange as there is four lifts. It took 7 stops before reaching the top.rather than having a lift dedicated to the restaurant.

We arrived early to make sure that we got our food ordered in time for the sun set.
On arrival a lady sat us down and the service was great.
Starters i had skewers, not rocket science but on a plate it looked plain not wow not blown away.
My wife had soup same again not hard to make look good.
As the mains came out we notice two tour bus arrived and sat approx 10 tables away, the meals got put in front of me and my wife then suddly approx 20 people came storming across with cameras and wanted the best view of the sunset at any cost, the any cost ment all over my table and or around the area we had our table.
The lovely waitress tried her best to get them to move but it was like a 5minute stand off by the tour group until the sun set went down.
the meal again seemed to lack presentational skills. The meat covered in sauce rather than allowing the guest to pour amount required.
In my eyes great view arevage food.
It you feel i am just a tourist and have not got this correct then bear in mind i run a 5 star hotel and have been to cape town 7 times.
hope this helps

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I have been here on numerous oocasions with my boyfriend, and have yet to be disappointed.

The quality of food is fantastic and the great variety of choices for starch and vegetables are an excellent added bonus. The portions are generous - so much so that every time I have been there I am never able to order dessert as I am too full after a sharing a starter and having a main, The beef stroganoff is unbeatable, and because of that I always order it - even though there are so many other tempting choices on the menu.

The restaurant has a 360 degree view of Cape Town due to it slowly revolving. And although this might sound a bit daunting to some, it revolves at such a slow speed that you don't even notice you are moving - well, besides the changing view of course!

The atmosphere is very romantic and relaxed, with tables placed with enough space between one another to allow privacy as well as beautiful songs being played on the piano.

My only downfall is that you do not have one specific waiter, everyone helps everyone. And although team work is a great concept, it seems at times that you do not receive service as they are unaware whether anyone else has helped you already. Communication between the staff would go a long way, and would make this 4 star review a 5 star one.

Word of advice - book well in advance! It has fewer tables that most restaurants and is nearly always fully booked! And make a reservation in time to watch the sunset - you won't see a better one that this!

Reviewed March 13, 2013

This restaurant is always overfull with tourists and certainly a goldmine in high season. For a reason. Quality of food is very good and service is friendly. Tourists love it because of it and its splendid view. You can feel there is hard work behind it from the owners. Enjoy yourself beiing taken around , but book early