Review Highlights
Helicopter Wine Tour of Constantia & the Cape Peninsula

The highlight of our sightseeing in Cape Town was definitely our private Helicopter Wine Tour with... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
riceowlkaf
Houston, Texas
Fantastic day out

This trip exceeded our expectations. We followed the Classic tour with Etienne as our guide... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
Lee J
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom

All reviews chocolate pairing recommend wine lord g wine making different wineries duck parade great wine tour visited wineries stellenbosch area food pairings drinking wine african wines wine farm a lot of fun great group booked this tour great guide
Reviewed October 28, 2017 via mobile

I’ve just done a really fascinating tour with Wine Flies Tours to Matjiesfontein- their Forgotten Route Tour to be exact. It started with a brief walkabout in the Cape Town CBD and tea at the Kimberley Hotel with Riaan our guide, learning a lot about historical key spots; then a drive to Worcester where we boarded a train (one of my best modes of travel) for the 2.5hr trip to the famous ghost town known as Matjiesfontein. We stayed at a (self catering if you choose) lodge right next to the town called Rietfontein which is quite basic but absolutely wonderful for its comfort, simplicity, absolute cleanliness and wonderful duvets! The evening was all about a drink at the bar, a very brief tour (the town
‘s main road is 500m long) with John the Entertainer on an old Beefeater Bus, a visit to the museum underneath the station and a braai’ Back at Rietfontein with delicious food prepped by a lady called Eugenie- those cheese and tomato toasties were beyond! After a good breakfast at the Lord Milner Hotel next morning we took a walk through the stunning gardens behind the hotel and then set off by minivan to have an authentic farm lunch at Oupa Batt se Winkel in the Koo Valley on the toad to Montagu. Great hospitality and the spread was excellent- traditional South Africa food like pumpkin tart, malva pudding and more. The last stop was at Owl’s Nest to find out about their olive and lavender production and do a spot of shopping- olive oils and lavender products. I’m stocked for Xmas!
Highly recommend this experience! Our host was ‘Lord’ Markus, and he was fantastic!

WineFlies, Owner at Wine Flies Wine Tours - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2017

Marc was his name, your guide:)
This tour has been carefuly selected. Every aspect.
So happy you loved it.
You had a great experience, and its right.
Only folk that want to talk about it, talk about it. We keep it that way.

Reviewed October 25, 2017

Timely pick-up and drop-off, great guide, a good mixed bag of wineries visited, good lunch, farm and fields, cute and friendly farm animals and vineyards.
Highly recommended full day wine tour!

Reviewed October 25, 2017

We booked onto one of their day tours via our backpackers, and it was great. We were picked up at 08:30 and after another couple of pickups in Cape Town we on our way to the Stellenbosch / Paarl area. We visited Villiera Wines, Mitre's Edge Boutique Winery, Middelvlei Wine Estate, Usana Estate and Lovane Boutique Wine Estate. We had four to six wines at each. At Villiera we were shown the vines, given a short history lesson and then taken through some of the buildings with the process being explained at each point.The came the first wines and we were shown how to judge the wines. Biltong and chocolate made their first appearance. At Mitre's Edge Lola had paired cheeses with selected wines. At Middelvlei we also had lunch and tasted some wines and port straight out the barrel. At Usana JP gave a great talk about the estate whilst we sampled. And at Lovane we had a chocolate and wine pairing. The guides were great and knew and loved their work, and we were back at our backers at 18:00.

Reviewed October 25, 2017

My hubby treated me to the best birthday surprise ever! A trip on a bus, train and back on the bus to the most awesome little village, Matjiesfontein, that I have wanted to visit ever since I first passed it en route to Johannesburg, probably in the late '80s.
He invited my 5 besties and their husbands/partners to join us, which made it even more special!
Our guide, Lord Etienne, was absolutely the BEST! He looked after us so well, we lacked for nothing!
From the walk through Cape Town, which Lord Riaan led us on, was extremely enlightening and informative as we learned so many things about our own city. Up to the Kimberley Hotel, then on the bus to Karibo Wine farm for a wine tasting with Lord Etienne and Lady (?) Sue, (I am not a red wine drinker but, oh my word! I LOVE their Cupcake wine!) then on to the Worcester station to await our train.
The train trip was very relaxing and the scenery totally breathtaking!
On arrival in Matjiesfontein we were met by Lord Etienne and Lady Sue on the platform with music playing on an old gramophone and a welcoming drink. Then on to the Lord Milner hotel before making our way to our lodgings. The lodgings were pretty basic but extremely clean and very comfortable. Back to the Lord Milner for a tour of the village on a red double decker bus followed by a tour of the Hotel and ended with a honky tonk session in the legendary bar!
Dinner was at our lodgings, prepared and served by Lord Etienne and his helper under the stars on the patio. What a magical evening, fun was had by all!
Early Saturday morning up and out to Lord Milner Hotel for breakfast followed by a stroll through the village transport musuem, old church, post office (gift shop now) and the grounds of the Lord Milner Hotel. Stunning! Absolutely beautiful!
Then it was back on the bus heading back via the Koo Valley. A stop off at Oupa Batts general store for a delicious potjie lunch under the big tree's, served with the most delicious home made bread and jam! Delish!
Off again, this time to an olive farm for olive tasting. I was totally blown away by Briony from the Marbrin Olive Growers. What a character! I blew my house-keeping money on their products! Then, sadly, it was the end of the tour and we arrived back in Cape Town totally exhausted, but such happy memories of an awesome time spent with wonderful friends!
Thank you to my hubby Tommy, Etienne, Sue, Riaan and my besties, for making this a totally unforgettable birthday!

Reviewed October 22, 2017 via mobile

Great day out and excellent wine tour! We went to 5 different vineyards all offering something different! We sampled 25 wines! There was cheese and chocolate pairing plus a lovely lunch! Would highly recommend. Tour guide was really good and very knowledgeable!