“Superb base for Cape Town”
Review of Kensington Place

Kensington Place
Ranked #17 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We had 4 nights at Kensington Place. It was our fist time to Cape Town and we could have done with a little longer. The hotel was a perfect start to our honeymoon - great location, lovely room and some really nice 'extra bits' such as their booking of restaurants (as mentioned by other reviewers) and their suggestions regarding how to spend your time. They sorted a driver for us on 2 separate days so we could enjoy Cape Point and wineries without having to drive ourselves.
We loved our time at Kensington Place - and would highly recommend it to others.

Room Tip: We were in room 1 and could see Table Mountain and had balconies.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 148MandC

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Upon arrival at the hotel in the morning, we were immediately greeted with some of the friendliest service you could find. We were immediately offered breakfast, which we enjoyed in the comfortable restaurant setting. The rooms are not large, but are comfortable, clean and adorned with modern design elements. We had a small balcony from which we could enjoy the view of the surrounding area over a bottle of the complimentary wine. Everyone on the staff was very helpful and friendly. One of the best features/services provided by the hotel was that they have standing reservations at some of the best and most popular restaurants in town. The manager had some restaurant suggestions prepared for us before we arrived, and they were all spot on. If we'd tried to make some of the reservations ourselves, we wouldn't have been able to get in because of how popular they are. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bubbastyle
Reviewed October 18, 2013

The fact that all the reviews are either Excellent or Very Good (with 95% of them Excellent) tells you just how good this quaint hotel is. From our arrival we immediately picked up the relaxed and friendly environment the team at Kensington Place strive to create. The breakfasts and snacks are fantastic and as other reviews have mentioned the fish cakes are insanely good. The rooms are clean, very comfortable and spacious (not to mention trendy) and the staff are eager to help in any way possible but in no way are they over the top. They help you plot your plans for your day trips, make recommendations and even book some of Cape Towns best restaurants for you before your arrival (Pot Luck is a must!). Austin, Michael and the team should be very proud of what they have created at Kensington Place and we can not wait to return...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tellsy
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I started with another Cape Town hotel which didn't work out for me, moved to Kensington Place and wish I had found it sooner. The views of Cape Town from my upper floor room were spectacular, the room was cozy and included in-floor heaters in the bathroom and bedroom. The staff was friendly and helpful in booking reservations at area hotels, the breakfast outstanding, and the common areas were very nice. The hotel was comfortable enough that if I hadn't been able to get out and see anything, I could have had a nice vacation just staying at the Kensington. My only criticism is that on he upper floor where I was, WiFi connection was spotty and dependent on where I was in the room. I tried the in-room laptops, but they are using 10 year old technology. I think it would make a better impression to upgrade the WiFi equipment, and either remove the old technology or replace it with current models

Room Tip: I was very happy with the room I had, a superior suite on the top floor looking North. Don't rem...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Richard C
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Our African adventure began here and it couldn't have been better. The staff is marvelous and so caring and helpful. The public space is beautiful and breakfast is delicious. I would return to this wonderful hotel and fabulous city in a heartbeat.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sue F
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Great service, hip designed rooms. Top quality service, they even pre-booked some dinners for guests so that they have options to recommend to you when you arrive. Great DVDs if you want to relax- I recommend Searching for Sugarman for the South Africa experience. Had restaurant recommendations I would have never come up with on my own. Great fishcakes for breakfast too. Almost no downside here.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2013

What a pleasant surprise awaited my husband and I on our arrival at Kensington Place. Greeted by warm smiles and invited to take a seat by the fire in the tastefully decorated lounge and order any drink we desired whilst minimal check in procedures took place. My husband had a second complimentary beer before we were shown to our sumptuous room - where we found a complimentary bottle of wine! As mentioned by others, the fact that Austin and his staff had gone to the trouble of booking an eclectic mix of some of Cape Town's best restaurants was a big bonus. We stayed 4 nights over the weekend and would not have got into these places without prior bookings. Coming from Australia we found the value for food and wine was amazing, and we made the most of it!

My husband wanted to press a few things and asked for an iron and ironing board, but was told they didn't provide them but they would be happy to do any pressing we required - at no charge!

The breakfasts were to die for. The quality and range of food was perfect and couldn't be faulted. We could not recommend this lovely hidden gem of a Hotel highly enough.

Room Tip: We were lucky enough to be given an upstairs corner room with lovely views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple