Our 3rd stay that the Winchester Mansions - still happy to recommend the place albeit with qualifications (see below).
The wonderful greeting and ongoing service from the ladies in the restaurant in particular:-
Happiness - who was as her name suggests a joy & for the last 3 mornings chose breakfast for us.
Ayanda- who has one of the most wonderful laughs in the world.
Jazz Brunch - can't even start to describe how good this is - concerned that you can't stand jazz - don't worry - you'll love it but worth booking in advance.
The location - fab-u-lous. A viable walk into the V&A (and back in day time). The excellent city tour bus has a stop right outside the hotel.
The bar very popular for late afternoon sun set (the waiting staff in the bar are fine but are habitually let down by the guys behind the bar).
The shuttle bus & Shaheed who is a gentleman and really cares about his guests but was let down by his colleagues (see below).
OK - What's not so great?
In a word RECEPTION - logic would suggest that as this section is generally the 1st point of contact for guests and as 1st impressions count for a lot then it would be sensible to resource it with capable, experienced members of staff. In this instance the staff were lacking in both departments. Checking in was laborious (asked for our name 3 times over - mentioned that we had stayed before and should be on the computer system - didn't register at all - welcome back? hah! not a prayer). Checking out- we had an early evening pick up and weren't able to keep the room (nobody's fault - busy hotel) - we were offered use of the shower room by the pool which would have been fine if they could find someone that had the keys to the laundry even had to phone the head housekeeper at home (20 minutes later we had towels). So a bad start and a doubtful end - the bit in the middle was ok apart from the reception staff not mentioning to Shaheed that we had booked a 10pm pick-up from the V&A - an apology would have been in order.
Summary - would we come back? absolutely yes. Partly to see the long standing employees that make the hotel what it is and partly in the hope that there will be a rotation and some fresh blood on the reception desk.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Winchester Mansions is an iconic building on the seafront in Cape Town within close proximity to the V&A Waterfront and Cape Town International Airport. Free shuttle service to the Waterfront, free wifi internet access in public areas are standard. This landmark hotel offers classic elegant rooms, many boasting stunning sea views. Facilities include a heated pool, relaxing treatments in the Ginkgo Spa, signature dishes from award winning Harveys Restaurant & Bar as well as full service conferencing. Cape Town's most famous and longest running Jazz brunch is hosted at Winchester Mansions every Sunday of the year. The monthly Grapes, Gourmet and Gallery evenings draw large numbers of food & wine lovers and art aficionados. Winchester Mansions - Part of the Journey ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Winchester Mansions reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Winchester Mansions Hotel Cape Town Central
- Winchester Mansions Cape Town, South Africa