“Perfect place for work or play....”

Winchester Mansions
Ranked #27 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Cape Town
“Perfect place for work or play....”
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I needed peace and quiet for a work project so booked into a modern classic room and spent most of my time at my computer. Room service was quick and efficient, good food and friendly staff. The distant murmuring from the beautiful courtyard downstairs was a pleasing background. A friend joined me for breakfast, we were allowed a late check-out and it was perfectly relaxing. This hotel gets everything right.......I hear the Sunday jazz brunch is brilliant. Haven't had a chance to sample it yet but I hope to do so soon.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
NilsHeckscher, General Manager at Winchester Mansions, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Dear BarbaraJonesCapeTown

I just read your review for which I thank you. I am happy that you were happy. Please join us for one of our brunches, they are thankfully very popular so please book in advance! Looking forward to welcoming you back!

Nils Heckscher - MD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I took time to research where to stay in Capetown as it had been 20 years since our last visit and as it was our 25th wedding anniversary we decided to spoil ourselves and our 11 year old daughter by staying in a family suite for 3 nights in November after a safari in Sabi Sands. First the positives, only a few. Ideally situated and the staff were very professional although surprisingly most of them on a training programme from college. Our suite was spacious but a little tired and overlooked the back entrance to the hotel and bins, and not a view of Table Mountain as advertised. The mini bus is not always available to take you to the Waterfront as they also hire it out for private tours, they do have a second mini-bus but try not to use it as they want to keep the mileage down as they are planning to sell it, in the New Year. Our biggest disappointment was that even though on trip advisor the managing director stated that the recent refurbishment was completed before our visit, this was not the case. The poor reception staff had to work whilst enduring the whole of the front of reception being removed and replaced, you could not get near them to ask them a question, and if you did you could not hear them for the noise of the drills the men were using. We tried to escape this chaos and went to the pool where we told we could not sunbathe on one side of the pool or go in the pool as promotional photographs were being taken!! We then went to the bar and sat on the patio out-side to have a quiet drink, but no even that was too much to ask as workmen were working on the side of the hotel/car park of the hotel and we were shadowed in dust and again could not escape the noise of drills.
After out return I received many e mails asking me to give feedback on the hotel, which I did. I was assured the managing director would respond to my comments but funnily enough after my visit just over 7 weeks ago I have heard nothing. I have given them ample time to apologise as I am fair and am not a complainer normally, but when you spend a considerable amount of money for a short stay, then I expect certain standards, if work was taking place then we should have received a discount or given the option to change our dates. At the end of the day we did not get value for money as we could not use the facilities to their full advantage, and we had to put up with the disruption during our stay .

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the front
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ann B
NilsHeckscher, General Manager at Winchester Mansions, responded to this review, January 13, 2012
Dear Ann B

Only now do I go through our recent reviews and so I came across yours. Huge apologies for only replying now, I cannot explain why other mails, you sent, did not get to me. The renovations, in particular in our reception area took indeed longer mainly due to the erratic availability of timber which was installed whenever available. It is clear that we disappointed you and did not deliver on your expectation. I have sent a message to you directly via Tripadvisor and hope to hear from you. I would like to again apologise not only for the below expectation experience but also for not getting back to you sooner.

Kind regards from sunny Cape Town

Nils Heckscher - MD
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 20, 2011

This review is a little late but we stayed here at the end of May 2011 for 3 nights and loved the place. Upgraded to a family suite at no extra cost and enjoyed the wonderful buffet breakfast each morning. All the staff we encountered were extremely polite and helpful.

Great spot close to shopping strips and transport etc.

Hoping to return in 2012.

Brett Lorena and Tayla Melbourne Australia

Room Tip: Beautiful suite we had overlooking the bay.
Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
switzerland
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Fantastic ambiance in this hotel. Very smart bar and a dream patio, where fantastic breakfasts are served when the weather is OK. Smart clientele of all ages. I really appreciated my two nights stay in this hotel. My room was not so big, but very quiet, on the back side. Small but agreable pool.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
NilsHeckscher, General Manager at Winchester Mansions, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
Dear JMB Switzerland
Thank you very much for your review!
It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The mix of guests is very important to me as I want us always to be a genuine hotel and not one of the all too often found which seem somewhat “plastic” in atmosphere and guest mix. It would be lovely to have you back with us real soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2011

The Winchester Mansions is well placed as inbetween The Waterfront and Camps Bay. Try and stay on a Sunday for their Jazz Brunch - brilliant band and good value for money. You must book a table as it is very popular. It is held in the amazing courtyard. They also have a small outdoor pool and the bedrooms are very nice. The staff are very helpful with any of your queries.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank chrissy051
Dear Krissy 051
Thank you very much for your great review!
It is wonderful to hear how much your stay with us. Our jazz brunch after about 14 years is Cape Town’s longest running and most popular, and we’re proud of it. I guess it is the combination of food, music, location and service that make this such a great recipe, and of course at less than 20 Pounds it is grrrreeeat value. We hope to have you back with us real soon!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Fabulous room, service fantastic and executed by super friendly staff who always had a smile. Breakfast awesome, cocktails superb and the bar meal more than adequate, Dinner in the restaurant best we have tasted for many a day. Front office always eager to help. Superb location with easy access to all that Capetown offers without the city sounds. Would definitely stay here again and recomment to friends.

Room Tip: We were allocated a room but had no problems.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Margaret B
Thank you very much for your super review!
My team and I are very excited to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Chef of course loves the compliment about the food! We look forward to having you back with us real soon!

Danville, California
Reviewed November 26, 2011

Be very wary of the management of this hotel. I booked a reservation 5-6 weeks before my trip to South Africa with five nights at Winchester. We traveled over 10,000 miles from the San Francisco Bay Area to Sea Point for the first time in 26 years. We looked forward to staying in a central location close to Clifton, Camps Bay and the night life. After two-days in Stellenbosch and a full-day of site seeing, we arrived at the hotel at 7:30 on a Thursday looking forward to a beer, shower and night on the town. Unfortunately, we were informed that they were overbooked and that we had no choice but to move downtown to a hotel adjacent to the convention center. We specifically booked this hotel due to its location in Sea Point and ended up wasting 1 of our 5 evenings in Cape Town driving to the alternative hotel, parking, checking in, etc. I think it's criminal that they would not prioritize the reservation of guests that traveled 10,000 miles with the reasonable expectation that their reservation would actually be a reservation. I would never book with this hotel again and would recommend an alternative in Clifton or Camps Bay.

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Sean V
Dear Sean V
Thank you very much for your review!
I completely understand your reaction, since, due to an error in our reservations system, we could not honour your booking. We tried to “appease” you by booking you into a 5 star hotel, the extra of which was at our cost, but again I understand that you chose us for our location as well as reputation. I apologise for the inconvenience we caused you and your party. I wish to assure you that this is not normal practise and sincerely hope that you may give us another chance when returning to Cape Town.