“Great location”
Review of Waterfront Village

Waterfront Village
Ranked #69 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed November 9, 2009

The Waterfront Village has a great location, less than 5 mins walk to the V&A Waterfront. The complex is huge and appears to be a combination of holiday apartments and residential apartments. It is all designed around a canal which makes it very attractive. It seems to be a very safe place to stay with strong security at all entrances. There are several small pools and one larger pool, however, we didn't use this one as there is an additional charge per stay to use this pool (I think 150 rand per person, per stay). The small pools are unheated and extremely cold in October!

The apartments are very clean and nicely furnished. Ours included a small garden, with a view directly towards Table Mountain, a hallway, bedroom, bathroom (shower only), kitchen (including cooker, microwave, dishwasher, kettle, toaster etc), lounge with satellite TV, also a washing machine and tumble dryer, iron, ironing board, hairdryer. There was also a balcony overlooking the canal.

The service provided was OK but not exceptional. We had booked an early check-in prior to arriving, but on arrival this wasn't available and there was little explanation as to why not, or apology from the front desk staff.

I would recommend the apartments mostly for their convenient location.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 12, 2009

I travelled to Cape Town last month with 3 other colleagues for various meetings/conferences. I have been to Cape Town before and to be honest I hadn't heard of this complex. When we arrived I was shocked at the size of the complex, but luckily after checking in they drove us to our section of the apartments. We stayed in the Ellswood (or something like that) block. I've read some of the other reviews but the only work I saw being done was some inside wall painting which might annoy my sense of smell if I was staying in the corridor, but luckily my company aren't cutting back that much yet! By the way, I have given a rating of 5 for value, but it is my company that pays. The one point I have a little gripe about is the service. We had been told a few 'hotspots' to visit and when we asked for directions, the woman at the front was more interested in texting on her phone! But the actual apartments were superb, very close to the pubs and shopping mall and believe me when I say the security is top-notch! I can't speak for the other blocks because the complex is so HUGE it was impossible to see what else was going on. Go there, kick back and enjoy!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 5, 2009

We've had a wonderful four weeks travelling through 6 (5 third world) countries in Africa, until we arrived at this complex. We utilised apartments in Dovenby and Bannockburn.

Our guide collected us from the airport, transporting 9 of us to the reception area of this complex. It took over one hour to check us into 3 apartments. At the time, the gentleman was requested to ensure all 3 families were in the one apartment building. On booking through a travel agency we were not aware of the large number of apartment blocks within this complex. Through his faltering english, he indicated that this would not be a problem.

We were then taken by vehicle to another area of the village where we then had to supply passports and have photo's taken for security, which took a further 40 minutes of mucking around. Going through all this security, left us feeling a little apprehensive, with the thought that it would have been much easier to check into a hotel. The security area was all outdoors and it was freezing.

Once the keys were issued, we realised that 2 families were in one building and myself and 3 children had been placed in a building 3 apartment blocks away. After further discord, the gentlemen in reception took me to another room which although looked clean, the main bed had been slept in, with cushions off the lounge. He had advised we could have this apartment and that the sheets were clean although the bed had looked to be slept in. We declined and he advised that he would have house keeping come through that room tomorrow and we could relocate after a clean. This we accepted.

After arriving at the hotel at 7pm, we got to our apartment at 9.50pm. Having flown from Livingstone, we'd had a big day and were asked to have everything ready and packed up in the morning for the transfer to the other room. My youngest daughter left her watch on the coffee table in the apartment and when we returned it had been removed. Although, I spoke to security and reception, the matter was totally brushed off. The watch never to be seen again....and $150 down the drain.

When we were transferred to the second apartment we had no kettle in the room. I rang reception, to ask if I could have one to make a cup of tea. I waited from 8pm to 10pm for the kettle, which didn't transpire. I rang reception at 8am the next morning to advise that the kettle hadn't been delivered and she virtually accused me of not having rung the night before and that I must have taken the kettle. Not something anybody wants to put in their luggage whilst travelling. During this phone call I had to state that I'm entitled to a kettle, when I've paid for an apartment. I don't think I've ever stayed in a hotel room not fitted with a kettle.

That night, we did a load of washing. I waited until midnight for the front loader to finish, which it didn't. The next morning I rose early, the machine appeared to have water in it so I reset for the spin cycle. After the water had drained and the cycle finished the door would not open on the machine. Again I rang reception at 8am, to advise of the problem and was advised maintenance would be sent on their arrival at the complex. This was on a Sunday. Again I rang at 9am to advise reception we were heading out for the day, but we were flying to Sydney tomorrow and I desperately needed the washing out of the machine so I could get it dry. She kindly offerred to have the washing put through the dryer when the machine had been opened.

We returned to our apartment that evening, and the wet washing was still stuck in the machine. Nobody had been to the room to fix the machine. By this stage we were getting desperate, as our bags had been repacked for our flight home. I rang reception again, and she advised maintenance had gone home for the day and there was nothing she could do. I had spoken to the same girl at 8am, 9am and 5.30pm. She denied all knowledge of the incident.

Security did try and help us for over an hour. Eventually we got the door open with no help from the management or staff of this complex. I use a front loader in Australia, so it's not foreign to us.

When my brother returned to his room, he had 2 money belts stolen from his zipped up suitcase. Luckily it was toward the end of our journey. However, the travellers cheques could be replaced but the $2,500 US could not be.

As he was an ex policeman he was very self conscious of security and not having a safe in the master bedroom, wrongly assumed their were no safes in the apartment. The safe was in the twin room, where his son slept.

Although the police arrived and a report was filed, reception wasn't interested in the occurrence. The theft could only have been internal and housekeeping were the only people to enter the room on that day.

Security advised that housekeeping staff were to be polygraphed by the police. We were not the only guests in the building with these issues.

In general the apartments were lovely. A major design fault however was having a bath only in the main bathroom, with no shower. My children and I utilised a 2 bedroom apartment, and we all shower. We don't have time to lay in a bath when you're heading out for the day. This meant all four of us used the ensuite bathroom for the shower. Which meant there was no advantage to having a second bathroom. I wouldn't imagine this would be satisfactory for two couples utilising the apartment either.

It was a quick 5 minute walk to the waterfront and very scenic. Security was every 100 metres, so we had no security issues; however one person was mugged in the area on the Sunday morning.

Although the apartments are attractive and comfortable, I could not recommend this complex to anybody. I feel sorry for the people who own the apartments, who are counting on rental accommodation. It is the most poorly managed hotel/apartment complex we have ever stayed.

Check-in was a nightmare.
Reception wanted to either pass the buck or be plain rude
Security within the rooms was a major issue - it was safer to take anything of value with you than leave in the apartment
There was no management or anybody to discuss problems or issues with.

Our advice: stay at the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront and choose a hotel in that area.
Check-in's a breeze, you are at the right location, it's safe at night and you won't have any of the drama's we experienced. We loved Cape Town and consider it to be one of the worlds most beautiful cities, definitely not to be missed when visiting South Africa.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank C0nstantlyOnTheG0
WaterfrontVillage, Waterfront Village - Management response to “Money Belts Stolen from Apartment, Apathetically Managed Complex” at Waterfront Village, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2009

Waterfront Village Management has received and acknowledges the feedback from our valued guest. We wish to take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience caused during their stay and assure whom ever it may concern that this situation was taken in a very serious light. We can confirm all the necessary procedures and actions were taken, to deal with the guests concern.

The above mentioned incident was escalated to the highest management level and has been monitored ever since. Strong disciplinary measures have been taken on those who underperformed in a professional capacity, although no legal action was necessary as internal staff were found innocent after extensive polygraph testing.

Our business prides itself on integrity, surpassing service levels and is forever in the pursuit of bettering itself. We hope to find compassion for the operational challenges that meet us on a daily basis.

Thank you for this opportunity to reply and give feedback. We are a team dedicated to continue offering excellent Value and Service, at our already successful and reputable Village.

Waterfront Village Management

Reviewed June 7, 2009

Firstly, this is not an apartment hotel, it is an open plan apartment complex. Saying that, I had a great apartment with views overlooking the canal and waterfront from the front facing balcony and Table Mountain from the bedroom balcony. The fully self-contained apartment was kitted out with all the modern conveniences inc. Queen sized main bedroom with en-suite, laundry, full sized family kitchen (all appliances incl. dishwasher) plus Cable TV and air conditioning. The huge front facing balcony with seating is ideal for entertaining.

I was in the apartment block (Started with an ‘A) that was furthest away from the V&A waterfront but it was easy to reach via a pleasant walk through the complex, along the canal then past Cape Grace Hotel. The nearest supermarket was a ‘Pick n Pay’ also at the V & A shopping complex, a pleasant 15 minute walk from the apartment.

The downfall was the maintenance and painting that seem to be forever going on. I appreciate that preventative maintenance is required, but after a few days it was really beginning to annoy me. There were builders directly outside the bedroom window’s for two days starting at 8.00 am and a steady stream of builders walking past the balcony of the apartment.

Overall, I would stay again, the price was very good, but only if there were not workmen around.

PS - If you bring your laptop, use the free wi-fi in the Reception area or alternatively use the computer with free internet access.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 29, 2009

A tastefully decorated apartment in a great location!

The good points:
- we were upgraded from a 1 to a sapcious 2-bedroom apartment
- all staff extremely polite
- excellent security
- good sized rooms
- great amenities
- very clean
- pools ok if you can find them

The moans
- I emailed and telephoned to request an early check-in. No-one had the courtesey to respond
- maintenance work taking place - so an early start each morning!
- painters decorating the outside of apartment so terrace out of use and views marred by scaffolding - not mentioned by receptionist when we booked in.
- only most basic of guidance. It was difficult to get some of the appliances and alarm system to work, and receptionists didn't know what to do either. Also had to find my own way around the complex (and it's huge) as no map provided.
- We had chilly autumnal evenings - and no heating!
- No TV signal and home cinema did not work because it was not connected to the TV!
- Reception closes at 7pm, maintenance at 4.30 - so ensure you ask all all problems addressed ealy in the day!.

Managers need to be more proactive! An informative handbook on accomodation and complex facilities would make life so much easier. They need to realise that after an expensive over-night tflight guests want to settle in comfortably and quickly!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2009

Originally had booked a one bed. classic apartment, but was delighted, on arrival to be upgraded to a 2 bed/2bath apartment...no extra cost!
The apartment was very spacious with a large balcony overlooking the canal and quite close by the main security gate. Certainly, the fabric of the apartment was beginning to show signs of tiredness and staining etc. This is something, which the maintenance team must keep up with in order not to let standards slip. Regular checks should be made after every apartment is vacated to rectify any maintenence issues and/or decorative repairs.
Security, very reassuring both for car parking and personal safety walking to the V & A Waterfront via the road in front of the Cape Grace Hotel, with plenty of security guards in evidence.
Reading other contributors reviews, it seems that this accommodation can either be a hit or a miss, depending on which apartment you get, how you're treated etc. This is not great for consistency and could put people off if they are not 100% sure they'll get a good deal.....these are not the cheapest accommodations in Cape Town!
I would stay here again, but have to say some of the contributors stories sound horrendous experiences...so, would be a bit worried about being one of those statistics!
One down side for sure was the amount of building work on site - we had workmen on the roof of the adjacent building....thankfully they finished at around 4.30pm...but did of course start early in the morning.
If you can, have a look at the map of the complex and request your booking in an area which you are happy with - for example, some rooms overlook the main road to the Waterfront which I imagine will be noisy most 24hours of the day.
One small improvement which could be made is to provide some self service machines for soft drinks and snacks, perhaps in the main reception area, or in each of the residential accommodation blocks. It's a long walk to the nearest supermarket to stock up on essentials....!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 13, 2009

The location is great, apartments are spacious and well furnished containing modern and useful appliances for families like washing machine, dryer, dishwasher etc. We had a huge terrace on both our apartments and separate ensuite bathroom for each bedroom.
Security is excellent and underground parking included in the cost of the apartments. Easy walking distance from the Waterfront with restaurants and large shopping centre.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family