“Great Location, Appalling Service!”
Review of Waterfront Village

Waterfront Village
Ranked #68 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Simply, DO NOT think about staying here!

We have stayed here 2 summers in a row expecting 5 star self catering accomodation as advertised however, the service has downgraded year by year.

The first visit: we booked an apartment (3-bedroom penthouse) 2 months in advance and paid the full amount before arriving. When we arrived after a 15 hour flight, the representative took us another building claiming it was the same one we booked even though we had our confirmation papers in our hands. They should have informed us before leaving our country! There was no value for money in terms of the new apartment we recieved. One bathroom was very smelly, the beds were too mall and the heating system did not work well. The cutlery was rusted and there were a lot of ants in the apartment.

The second visit: after a 15 hour flight to Cape Town and hoping the service had improved:
(1) we arrived and had to wait nearly 1 hour for our apartment (3-bedroom penthouse) to be cleaned by housekeeping.
(2) The master bathroom had a pipe leakage and was under maintenance upon arrival.
(3) The security system went off every 5 - 10 minutes and kept ticking all night. We could not sleep from the annoying noise. We called reception and they kept on sending security individuals who did not know anything about the system. They ended up cutting the wires off instead of fixing it.
(4) The electricity went off 5 times during our 2 week stay. It went off at 5:00am once and we kept on calling reception however, there was no quick answer in such an emergency.
(5) There was no tissuer for 3 days as the supplier did not make a timely delivery.
(6) Everytime it would rain, a bathroom would leak and flood the whole place. No one came to fix it.
(7) The heating system at the top of the penthouse did not work.

Overall, the service is extremely poor, very slow and this accomodation should be changed from a 5 star to a 1 star self catering accomodation!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank exoticjetsetter

Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

Very poor management--was the most unpleasant part of my entire trip to Africa. My husband and I lease a vacation apartment ourselves, so we try to be understanding. This stay was stressful and annoying, however, and I would never stay there again.

I was attending a professional conference and reserved a one-bedroom months ago for 7-days, then added a day on the front end. Day 1: we arrived and we're shown to an apartment with an obvious moldy smell. The satellite did not work properly ( even after workers made sure we had it on correctly.) Day 2: bugs on the kitchen counter, though we had minimal food. Several workers stopped by and asked us if we were leaving, and security had deactivated our key. Front desk goofed--we were there for 7-more days. The moldy smell was worse. We asked for a new room. None said to be available to day 3. Day 3: my husband was called at 10:30, promised move in 1-2 hours. Did not happen until 4:30--(after he had waited around unnecessarily) then they downgraded us to an efficiency! I complained and they moved us to a nice 1 bedroom. As we were walking over, the woman from the front desk commented on how awful the first place smelled of mold when she put other people there in the past. (Great--why did they do it to begin with?). New place: safe needs new battery; had to ask three people to show us how to operate the heat; we were assured they would find a control for the bedroom heat, and get back to us. No one ever did (no surprise to us, by now.). It took until 5:30 for us to be moved and everything fixed so we could go to dinner. A fully wasted day.

Comments in the first apt's guest book indicated complaints since last March. The management/front desk was consistently poor and unreliable, and I wonder if the owners know about this pervasive odor indicative of a water leak.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank JeanneLS
WaterfrontVillage, Manager at Waterfront Village, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Dear Valued Guest

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the poor service you received during your stay, as this is not our standard and we are working on improving our services.
We will do a thorough inspection of the apartments you stayed in to ensure the problems gets corrected.

Kind regards
Johadrie de Villiers

Reviewed July 28, 2012

I booked a specific unit , since I travel to Cape Town weekly for business. I made sure that Jade the booking consultant confirmed the unit. Upon arrival I was given a " bigger unit" at the back of the Victoria Harbour. I travel alone and a bigger unit on the noisy road was a downgrade. I complained at check in and the managers response was kind off "take it or leave it" I did not have time to waste since my flight was delayed on South African Airways and I was already late for my first meeting.Most of the units let by Village and Life are very old and in desparate need of a revamp. I have stopped using them due to poor service in the past but their location is convenient with check in and out .However this was the last time.Most of the lights in my unit were flickering and did not work.The pillows were cheap quality and a rock would have been more comfortable.

Room Tip: Always choose units at the front of the complex on the harbour and not in the back row.Insist on the...
3  Thank Frans B

Dear Valued Guest

I would like to once again apologise for the inconvenience caused due to the moving of your reservation. As I know you are a return guest, I had moved your booking to a Superior 3 bedroom (K601), because the building in which the apartment that was reserved for you was undergoing exterior painting. The reason I moved it was because I did not want you to be disturbed by the workmen from early morning when they started working on the patios.

Please know, that as explained to you upon your check-in, I had moved your booking bearing your best interests and comfort in mind. I would have moved you to another yacht facing apartment, but due to 100% occupation, K601 was the only apartment available.

I have instructed our maintenance department to go and have a look at the flickering lights, that you mentioned in your review.

We value all our guestsand we will continue to work at our short comings to ensure all our guests are well looked after, and have an enjoyable stay.

King regards
Johadrie de Villiers

Reviewed July 27, 2012

My family group of 7 spent 5 days on vacation in Cape Town and we were very pleased with the Waterfront Village. It offerred everything including spacious apartments, excellent location (a ten minutes walk to the waterfront), security and even a closeup view of seals playing on the docks. The service was great. We arrived late at night and had no problem checking in. There is internet for fee in the apartments but it is free at the reception office. I highly recommend this property.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank thcr
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Perfectly located and beautifully maintained facility in the waterfront area. Alas, the staff members were hard to find and virtually useless in resolving multiple problems with our rental apartment. No heat, no keys, broken television, inept at helping with dinner reservations, and the list goes on. One of of our colleagues left the first night and refused to return; we wish we followed her lead.
Never Again in Scranton

1  Thank John N
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I came to Cape Town for six days as part of an international professional meeting and booked this site as an alternative to the Westin at the Convention Center. My thinking was that I'd get a good comfortable experience away from the main convention crowd.Six of my colleagues did the same and we had a range of experiences.

The Village is a large cluster of buildings on either side of a canal near the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront. The One-and-Only hotel sits at one end of the property and Cape Grace runs along one side. The V&A waterfront can be reached from both ends of the complex in ten minutes or less.

Many are owner occupied units, and others are apparently rented out by a management company on behalf of absentee owners. A small management office staffed by people of highly variable competence/dedication acts as the "front desk." One colleague and I arrived from the airport at 10:30 pm on a Friday night. The office had only one person on duty. She checked us in and we helped her load our luggage into a car to drive to our rooms. Other guest arrived as she was getting ready to lock the office door to take us to our rooms. We had to wait while she checked them in too.

We were driven to our rooms via an underground garage. My 3 room apartment (G102) included a lounge/dining room (about 20x14 feet) with two sofas, a coffee table, a glass dining table with seating for four. There was a full kitchen with dishes and utensils, dishwasher, clothes washer, and clothes dryer. The bedroom had a queen-sized bed and lots of storage cabinets. The bathroom (6x12 feet) was fairly standard with a tub/shower combo. All the floors were marble, with carpeting in the bedroom. Floor to ceiling windows looked out on a patio (with table and chairs) running the length of the living room and bedroom. The furnishings were tasteful and in good condition (one wobbly leg on one dining room chair), One flat screen TV in the living area had satellite TV with many channels. The bedroom had an electronic safe in a cabinet. Overall, the apartment was very nice although with some challenges in controls that were poorly laid out or not intuitive. For example, in the apartment I had one cannot shut off the bedroom lights from the bed and there were no bedside lamps. I also encounter difficulty figuring out how to turn on the heat as the room temperature dropped to 65F overnight and I found a plethora of small insects on the kitchen floor. The heat and insect issues were taken care of the next day.

The colleague who checked in with me was first taken to a room wit a door that did not lock properly. She refused to accept it and insisted on a different room. She got one with a locking door, but decided to move to the Westin the next morning because her various calls to the office in trying to get matters resolved when unanswered for several minutes. All of us had an assortment of minor problems which seemed related to maintaining and renting a wide range of units with different layouts and equipment.

Security at the facility seems quite solid, with electronic pass cards needed to enter the grounds and all buildings.

The biggest problem overall was the staff, particularly overnight. If you want a full service hotel with a front desk that answers calls quickly, takes reliable messages, and follows through more than 60% of the time upon first request--this is not for you.

On the other hand, if you want a lot of space in a reasonably comfortable, secure, convenient location (including the ability to prepare meals and do laundry in your apartment) for the cost of a first class hotel--this may be for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the ground floor overlooking the canal. Have the person who shows you to your...
3  Thank Fontek
Reviewed July 24, 2012

After 7 months I am back at this wonderful place. Positioned most excellent and convenient (Palgrave 102). Service is great and the flat is luxurious, stylish and elegant. It is a sheer pleasure to sit on the terrace, overlooking the elegant yachts of the rich and famous in Cape Town and sip a glass of Sauvignon Blanc in the sunset. The only problem is that this cannot last forever. I will be back as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Palgrave 102, overlooking the yacht harbour is lovely.
3  Thank SnailNorway