“Where the guest is made to feel #1!”

Southern Sun The Cullinan
Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Where the guest is made to feel #1!”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have stayed at the Cullinan twice this year for business purposes as part of a Jhb legal team. The service has always been good but this standard of service has been improved to an even higher level than that experienced just 3 months ago. I was made to feel like a VIP whenever I entered the lobby and was always greeted with friendly, interested and genuine smiles from all staff. An experienced travel agent agrees with me that the service levels at The Cullinan are the best in Cape Town, surpassing many establishments with a higher grading.
The highlight of any stay is the superb breakfast and wonderful choice available: vegetarian, lactose- and gluten -free choices are readily available and allefficiently served.
The location is also very convenient with an easy-access pedestrian bridge linking the hotel with the Waterfront.
Looking forward to our next stay here in just under one week!

Room Tip: A Waterfront facing room is nice but early morning traffic might be noisy if you sleep with your win...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Warren123Sha
GarryReed, General Manager at Southern Sun The Cullinan, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, your kind words are humbling!
We strive to make all our guests feel like VIP’s and I can assure you that your feedback has been shared with the team!
Garry Reed | General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The hotel looks old and in need of refurbishment. The hotel rooms and passages smells of stale cigarette smoke. The views are great. The bathroom was full of hair, unassumingly from previous guests. The food was edible.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FreqBusinessTraveler
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. As you can see from all the other very positive comments on this site, your experience was a once off.
We strive towards delivering a world class experience and our guests satisfaction is at the centre of our world.
Sincere apologies for your bad experience, I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I am a US travel agent that recently brought a group of 19 to the Cullinan for five nights. We were welcomed with drinks as the room keys were efficiently distributed. The rooms were lovely, clean, and had plenty of light. I was lucky enough to have a room with a view of the waterfront. The location is within walking distance of the V & A Waterfront, although the hotel offers free transport to and from once an hour.
The staff is friendly and helpful. Service with a smile. The concierge went above and beyond the call of duty when two of my guests sent packages back to the USA. One guest had a problem and the concierge contacted her after we had departed via email to tell her.
The breakfasts were outstanding and gave us all a good start for the day. The music in the lobby and outside of the restaurant always put a smile on my face. Although I never ate other meals in the hotel, I was told that the service in the bar was VERY slow and poor. On the other hand, others told me that the dinner buffet was very good.
Being on a working vacation, I appreciated the wifi and how well it worked.
I hope to bring another group back to beautiful Cape Town in two years and definitely stay at the Southern Sun Cullinan. I HIGHLY recommend it!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a high floor with a view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SUSAN H
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for the feedback on the bar, we will investigate this matter immediately.
Hermanus, South Africa
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

This is a great team at The Cullinan.
The Staff are personable and caring - they sincerely look after you.
From the flamboyant and friendly Marcel in the Lobby ( love your hat! ) to the local musicians playing - the atmosphere is quite enchanting and unique.
I just love it!
The Hotel's Wi Fi is very efficient and generous.
This is always important for tourists, locals like me and business guests.
Another compliment must go to the punctual return transport service to the V & A Waterfront.
Stayed in March and May and will be back in June.
PS My thanks for the treats to help celebrate our 37 years!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EJC0551
Dear Valued Guest,
We are honoured that you chose us to celebrate and share your 37th anniversary.
Reviewed June 4, 2013

The Cullinan could have easily deserved 5 "stars", if it wasn't for the check in issues I had. I stayed there twice in May, and in both occasions I had trouble checking in, as they couldn't find my reservation. In my second stay I didn't even have a room and I was sent to another Southern Sun, where I was given a crappy room (seemed like 40 years old). So, call them before going just to be sure.

Aside from this, I had some wonderful two weeks there. Almost from the first days I felt like home, as the staff was very dedicated (but not pushy), from the reception to the breakfast to the house keeping. Two special "awards": very good concierge (not very common in 4 star hotels) and careful security people. They made everyone in my group feel safe and welcomed (for example, there were apples everyday at the reception, which was a very nice gesture).

The main facilities are quite nice: hall, restaurant, bar, pool (don't expect big swims). Just a tiny gym (I called it the panic room, as it was as big as my room and with no views). Breakfast was quite vast, with people cooking eggs by request. Also had some food at the bar 3 times and it was nice.

The room was quite nice, renovated, with a safe box. Quite nice bathroom with separate shower and bath.

The hotel is very central, close to a hop-and-off bus stop, has an hourly shuttle to and from the Water Front (you'll need it, trust me), and you can run outside in different locations (remember: panic room).

It's clearly a return place. Keep on the good work guys.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
Sincere apologies for the delays on check in, we were in the middle of upgrading our hotel computer system and during this time we unfortunately experienced these delays. The system is now fully installed and fully functional.
Rosemont
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Had a great time here. Awesome brekfast buffet included. Only reason I didn't give room 5 stars is because shower is designed in such a way rhat water gets everywhere. Just have to wipe it up no big deal.

• Stayed May 2013
Jamaica
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Upon entry into the lobby of The Cullinan you get the immediate sense that it is not a chain hotel. There's a warmth to the service, as opposed to detached professionalism, and character to the architecture and decor. It's walking distance from fabulous restaurants, banks, and a great craft market where you can get locally made souvenirs. Plus there's a small gym and the breakfast buffet was phenomenal. I get tired of eggs when I travel because that's usually the only hot option but after 5 days, I still hadn't tried everything.

I recommend it.