“Wonderful Stay”

Ranked #24 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Wellington, New Zealand
“Wonderful Stay”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed seven nights in Cape Town and our stay here was fantastic. The staff, from reception to the concierge were absolutely delightful and made us both feel right at home. Breakfast was huge and so good. The service, once again: impeccable. One just could not fault or see anything wrong with this hotel.
Thanks to you all for making our stay with you so memorable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pedro9234
GarryReed, General Manager at Southern Sun The Cullinan, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Our staff is indeed our biggest asset and I am glad they made you feel at home. Thank you for your loyal support and I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.
Garry Reed | General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Turkish first
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The lobby is stunning with marble columns and inlaid marble floors. The pool is in the courtyard. The hotel is very safe. The entrances are all montored and the elevators are monitored 24 hours a day. We came from a cruise ship. We were allowed to check in early. The room was comfortable with a nice bathroom. The hotel is right next to the convention center. The hotel has a free shuttle to the waterfront. A taxis to the waterfront is less than $4. The staff is friendly and the breakfeast is the best I ever had.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank charles6346
Dear Valued Guest,
I am delighted that the team took such good care of you and that you enjoyed your stay with us, looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Paris, France
Reviewed January 10, 2013

it is a very nice Hotel, the staff is very efficient and of course super helpfull and friendly, I can only but recommend this Hotel to everyone that goes to Cape Town,there is a immense choice at the breakfast buffet. I had a fabulous stay there

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,
We do appreciate you taking the time out to give us such great feedback and hope that we can be of service to you in the near future.
Bucharest
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Is not a single thing that I can say bad about this hotel, about the staff, the food.... Everything was perfect. Incredible breakfast buffet with a broad variety of food, the personnel very kind and helpful, the rooms very nice and clean. I will definitely recommend this hotel for a pleasant stay in Cape Town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,
Your kind comments and feedback is highly appreciated and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Sun City, South Africa
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We visited the Cullinan for 10 days. The location is perfect , in walking distance from the International Conference Centre to a short trip to the Waterfront. . Easy access out of town to all tourist destinations. Very central. The underground parking is very convenient. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Housekeeping was very good, not once did we return to the room and found it not "serviced" The room , with a bar fridge worked so well , as one could keep a few cool drinks cold. Would certainly return , felt very at home staying there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GarryReed, General Manager at Southern Sun The Cullinan, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest
Your feedback is sincerely appreciated and I have already shared it with the staff!
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at this hotel. The staff is really friendly, smiley and helpful. The rooms are beautiful and the service is flawless. The breakfast buffet is big and you have a lot of choices.I really recommend this hotel if anyone goes to Cape Town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Luton
Reviewed January 8, 2013

A repeat visit to this hotel after 3 years, our group received a warm welcome with beautiful cupcakes, fresh squeezed Orange Juice or Bucks Fizz on arrival, very welcome after a long night flight. My room was fine, bathroom with vanity unit, excellent shower, separate decent sized bath, good size and quality of towels and spotlessly clean ...only problem was that after using the loo, I discovered it wouldn't flush, the cistern wouldn't fill, just dribbled water constantly. As I was desperate to get some sleep I delayed reporting the fault and used the kettle to "flush" the loo.
The bed was very comfortable, lovely pillows and crisp, fresh bed linen with a proper goose down duvet. There was also a small fridge and a proper kettle, however there was either a knack to it, or I just had to jam the switch to the ON position for it to boil? Plenty of Tea bags, coffee, de caff etc and some biscuits.The room looked very clean, but on moving the easy chair I found crumbs on the floor underneath.
You have to ring for an iron and ironing board, something that just annoys me, (perhaps in an Ultra Deluxe hotel they may expect the guests to never iron anything themselves) however delivery was quick enough.
Once I was ready to go out for the evening I found that the Safe in my room wouldn't lock, at this point I rang for some assistance and also reported the faulty toilet. A manager arrived within 5 mins and in another 5 mins had fixed the safe. Shortly afterwards the maintenance man arrived, declared that a wrong part had been fitted to the cistern, went away and returned with the supposed correct part, fitted it and declared it fine.
I was therefore some 25 minutes late meeting my colleagues. We met in the bar off the Lobby and Pool area, service was good and plenty of nuts etc provided to nibble on. Some of our group also ate in the bar and the food was of excellent quality, though sadly the menu options have shrunk considerably in the last few years, with a very limited choice.
A few of us went to the waterfront area for dinner and the hotel staff were quick to arrange transport for us.
Next day I discovered that the loo once again didn't work properly, in the end I just used force as I didn't want to hang around for maintenance.
I took advantage of relaxing by the pool, this is a beautiful area with very comfortable sunbeds, plenty of towels provided, staff came around offering very welcome cold towels to freshen us and later with slices of refreshing Water Melon. Wait Staff asked regularly if we needed drinks etc.
Two of us ordered lunch at the same time, the drinks quickly arrived, we chose to move to a proper table (also poolside) to eat, my fillet steak with mushroom sauce, arrived in about 10 minutes, but with rice, instead of the listed chips, the waitress noticed my disappointment and returned 5 minutes later with chips, my friend however waited another 40 minutes or more for her pizza to arrive, as these were actually being prepared outdoors we were at a loss as to the delay, despite asking. On the plus side both the steak and the pizza were excellent taste and quality, very good mushroom sauce with the steak and lashings of toppings on the pizza.
Overall this could be a really great hotel, just needs a little more attention to detail, it's location is convenient for the V & A Waterfront area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Margaret H
Dear Valued Guest
In a world where time is a scarce commodity, I would like to sincerely thank you for providing us with such extended detailed feedback.
It is only through constant feedback like this that we can improve our delivery and therefore we are grateful.
Thank you for pointing some of our shortfalls, my staff and I will start working on them immediately.