Just returned from a 5 night stay at the Cullinan. The minute our car pulled up outside, the staff were there to greet us and unload our luggage. The staff are what make this hotel - could not fault anyone of them. Everyone is polite and friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them.
The lobby is very grand and, after being warned not to walk the streets at night, it was good to see a good security presence. Our room was a good size with two queen beds. TV, safe, mini bar (empty) and enough drawer and wardrobe space. The beds deserve a special mention - so comfortable with lovely soft pillows. The bathroom was also a good size with separate bath and shower cubicle - water pressure is great. A complimentary bottle of water is provided each day - maybe they should provide two when there are two guests.
The breakfast buffet is amazing - everything you could possibly want, even a diabetic corner and a station for freshly made omelettes. For UK visitors, don't worry when you see beef, chicken and mutton sausages - the pork sausages, back and streaky bacon are in a separate area just near the toasters!! I was so glad we were staying for 5 nights - plenty of time to try everything!
We dined out most evenings but did have one night in the hotel and tried the buffet in the restaurant. Again plenty of choice to suit every taste. Fresh fish and steaks available which they cook to order.
Nice seating area round the pool for drinks in the evening - the White Chocolate Martini was really good! The dark blue pool looks lovely but never saw anyone use it.
The hotel is in a great location for getting around. Free shuttle bus to the V&A Waterfront, the stop for the Hop on Hop off bus is just over the road and a 10 minute walk to the shopping area. Highly recommend the HOHO bus for first time visitors. We bought the 2 day pass - first day did the red route which takes you all round the city, we got off at Table Mountain and took the cable car to the top and in the afternoon got off at Camps Bay. Don't leave the ascent to Table Mountain until later in your trip - if the weather is good, just go. The blue route takes you out to Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and Constantia where you can get on the separate Wine Bus.
This was my first visit to Cape Town and if I am fortunate enough to return again, would definitely stay at the Cullinan.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only The Cullinan Hotel offers views of all of the Mother City’s main attractions: Table Mountain, the harbour and ocean, the V&A Waterfront and the city skyline. Marble pillars and floors and lush furnishings, transport guests into a world of luxury complete with individualized four-star services. A pool and gym offer the perfect way to relax after a day of business meetings or sightseeing and the choice of bars and restaurants is sure to meet everyone’s tastes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Southern Sun The Cullinan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Sun The Cullinan Hotel Cape Town Central
- Southern Sun Cullinan
- Cullinan Hotel Cape Town
- Southern Sun The Cullinan Cape Town, South Africa