“Great service and excellent value for money”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Sea Point
Ranked #70 of 111 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Been going to the hotel for 7 years now.Every time my family and I return its like going home, with the warmest welcome and smiles ( yes, Melanie, Avril, Theo and Patrick, those are super BIG SMILES). Great position.Affordable,lovely new rooms,clean,smells of the stunning ocean.Jeremy and Claire are the ones to contact for reservations,they will go out of their way for you.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Sea Point, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear Joel H

Thank you for staying at Protea Hotel Sea Point again and for taking the time to write a review.

The TEAM aims to provide the best GUEST service and I will make sure to pass along your compliments. The renovations were certainly a great success and the beach house look and feel have been received very well by regular travellers such as yourself and new GUESTS as well.

We look forward to welcoming you and the family back again this festive season.

There are newer reviews for Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Sea Point

Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

We booked into the Protea Sea Point over the December holiday and it ended up being a nightmare ! The first day we arrived the air-conditioner wasn't working and so we had workers fixing it for half the day and we had to wait there for them to finish. Then the following day the safe wasn't working with all of our stuff inside it. Once again we had to wait for the hotel staff to come open and fix it - while seeing all of our valuables inside.

The day after that we had a wedding and the gift was in the safe - when we were leaving for the wedding I went to open the safe and once again it wasn't working. The staff came up again to open it - this resulted in us running 45 minutes late for the wedding.

There were also hygiene issues - I found 3 long black hairs on my bath towel and I'm blonde ...

The wood in the bathroom was rotting from being wet and there was a constant smell in the room.

We eventually took it up with management who seemed to be very apologetic and offered us certain compensation, saying they would email us the details. However we didn't receive the email and when we eventually contacted them they weren't willing to give everything that was promised.

On a whole a very very unpleasant stay!!! I would strongly recommend you look else where for accommodation.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank G707
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Sea Point, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear G707

Thank you for staying at Protea Hotel Sea Point.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your stay experience. This is not the brand experience we strive to deliver. We are in the process of delivering the promises made to you on departure.

I can assure you that we are always in search of excellence and we look forward to welcoming you back to experience true Protea Hospitality.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights in December 2013. Was a great location for our stay in Cape Town. It is not central, but for us that was great as it made us see more of the city than we would if we have stayed in the centre. Clean good size rooms, good breakfast and good service. A small pool and sun deck - that we did not try. Would have no problems recommending this hotel to anyone visiting Cape Town

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Oggen
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Sea Point, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Oggen

Thank you for staying with us. It looks like you made the best of your time in Cape Town with all the experiences you had.

We wish you many more safe and pleasant travels and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I work offshore in the oil industry, my Company booked a day-room for me at this hotel to use whilst I waited for my evening flight home. I arrived at 09:30, and was still waiting for my room at 12:00 - clearly a 'Day Room" doesn't translate easily, to me it means a room available during the day - or did I miss something??

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank richdolby
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Sea Point, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Dear richdolby

Please accept our apologies for the miscommunication between your crew and the hotel. We were not expecting your arrival until late afternoon. I understand that this cannot make up for the short time you had to get ready for your connecting flight and it's most certainly not the GUEST experience we want to deliver.

Please let me know when you are next in Cape Town so we can ensure your room is ready upon arrival.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We stayed here for five nights & just loved it.
The location great , easy walk to the beach, restaurants & some shopping.
The breakfast was very good with variety. Room was very clean, had a balcony with a view.
Liked the pool area, but the pool was cold. Staff were super & helped us make arrangements for trips to tourist area. We used the hotel bus for transportation with a small fee.
Would stay here again should I be lucky enough to return to South Africa.

Room Tip: Have a room with a view & nice balcony
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Sea Point, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear 225Barbara

Thank you for writing this review and for the reviews of the Cape Town attractions you visited.

We have a great location to explore the best of Cape Town or just take it easy whilst shopping or exploring restaurants in the area.

There are more restaurants & shops to experience and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Summer is here and the pool deck is one of the places to be to catch some sun, order lunch or have drinks on the deck.

We wish you safe travels.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Breakfast was just the best in the morning and staff are very friendly and helpful especially because there was about 20 of us.
The room was very clean and their service was good too, The area was quite good as you can have a lovely walk in the morning and can easily reach the waterfront. Would recommend the stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear AnmolAM

Thank you for the review and for staying with us.

We have an awesome TEAM at the hotel and they are always striving for the best GUEST service. I have conveyed the compliment and we do look forward to welcoming you back again. There is much more to do in Cape Town.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed here for business for 6 nights last month. It is in a great location one block from the Promenade and with supermarkets and restaurants within easy walking distance. The room was clean and bright with a partial sea view from the balcony. There were 2 things which let it down for me
1. My room was above the restaurant and a few times a day esp at weekends they would play a tinny recording of Happy Birthday very loudly. It was so annoying that I would wake up in the morning with the tune in my head.
2. Housekeeping, whilst v efficient, were very noisy. I was woken at 7.30 one morning by them trying to get into my room. And if in your room during the day you could hear the constant banging of doors as they went in and out tidying - please give them doorstops to use!

This is a busy hotel being used by many tour groups and the lobby area and lift can be very congested but the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful even when they were obviously rushed off their feet.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Louloutraveller

Thank you for staying with us and for the review.

The restaurant is very popular for birthdays due to our location and the kids playroom. I would be happy to assist you with a room on the top floor during your next stay.

We have noted the comments on housekeeping and have invested in door stoppers. We are continuously reminding the TEAM that our GUESTS would like to sleep in in the morning.

Wishing you all the best during for your travels.