“Great location”

Victoria & Alfred Hotel
Ranked #25 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed January 19, 2010

This hotel may be expensive but it is perfectly located on the waterfront within walking distance of hundreds of shop, restaurants and entertainment. The room are very roomy and plush. You must have a mountain view as we don't see the point of staying here otherwise. The opposite side of the hotel overlooks the car park.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,589)

Reviewed January 13, 2010

As many other reviews have noted, the V&A hotel is, in my opinion, located in the absolute best place you can base yourself while on vacation in Cape Town. The waterfront is amazingly beautiful and convenient. Shopping and tons of restaurants are right outside the hotel door. The Robbin Island Ferry, Aquarium, and some other sites are all within a short walking distance.

The staff were extremely nice. I decided to go on one more great white shark dive the day I checked out. I was in desperate need of a shower when I returned to the hotel after my dive. Even though I had already checked out of my own hotel room, the staff let me take a shower in one of their empty hotel rooms for free. The V&A's excellent service saved me from having to smell bad and feel uncomfortable on my extremely long flight back to the US.

The room I stayed in was extremely clean. The room was smaller than I expected but I think that's just the price you pay in order to stay in a decent priced hotel in such a fantastic location. I myself didn't like the brick carpet and white brick walls look but that's really just a matter of personal preference. You can see the rooms yourself on their website and judge for yourself if you think the room will look appealing enough for you.

You have to eat at their breakfast buffet at least once cause it was the best I buffet I had in all my 3-week tNamibia/South Africa trip.

I couldn't tell the exact price of the hotel since my travel agent booked it as a whole package so it probably wasn't fair for me to be rating the price.

Overall, I'd say if you are visiting Cape Town, definitely consider staying at a hotel along the waterfront. If the price seems reasonable at the V&A compared to some of the other waterfront hotels, V&A would be a wonderful choice with both great service and great food.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 31, 2009

What else do you want from a hotel in Cape Town but a view of Table Mountain and the facilities of the Waterfront right on your doorstep? Breakfast outside overlooking the marina and Table Mountain with a buffet including oysters and champagne. Rooms tastefully furnished and very comfortable and the location is absolutely brilliant. We paid extra for a mountain view and it was well worth it. It's not the cheapest place to stay in Cape Town but draw back the curtains and that view is priceless.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2009

Service very average, especially in the evening. Do not understand why not given pot of coffee at breakfast - need very attentive, organised staff to provide top-ups and they weren't. Signs of cost-cutting - toiletries not replenished (tho may just be the inefficiency as mini-bar also not replenished), no nibbles with drinks, no bread offered with evening meal. Inefficient front desk. Wireless is free but disappears a lot. Swimming pool is minute, up a lot of steps across a busy road and only open at 10 - pool cover not off until noon. Spa, nesr pool ,is fine for the price but very busy - had to settle for 3rd choice of time slot, 5 days after arrival. Late check-out essential for most flights to UK. very hard to organise and expensive. Underwhelmed

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 25, 2009

This hotel is in a perfect location right on the waterfront and is a bit tucked away from the busier part of the waterfront. It is so easy & safe to walk everywhere during the day and night and there are many bars, restaurants and shops in this lovely waterfront area.

Breakfasts were brilliant with a huge choice of fruits, meats, cereals, bread, pastries, yoghurts, juices and a good selection of cooked food. The breakfast/dining room looks out onto the waterfront (where seals were swimming) and there is a magnificent view of table mountain. You can eat breakfast inside or outside. The hotel staff were really friendly and couldn't be more helpful and efficient, and always greeted you with a smile on their faces.

Our room was a piazza facing room which was a good size and very clean and well appointed. We were worried that it could be noisy as we had had heard that street musicians play outside, but we did not hear any noise when we were in our room and had a most comfortable stay.

The hotel was in a perfect location to visit Robben Island, just a 5 minute walk to where the boat departed, and the aquarium is just a few minutes walk in the other direction. We got a taxi to Table mountain but you can also get the open-top bus tour which stops where the cable car departs.

We used the hotel to book two trips with African Eagle tours and they were both excellent & very informative tours which were well organised.

All in all we would really recommend this hotel if you wanted to stay in the waterfront area at Cape Town.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2009

We recently went to South Africa on vacation and wanted to stay five days in Cape Town. Friends suggested we avoid the city center because of safety issues. We decided to stay at the Victoria & Alfred at the waterfront. It could not have been a better choice. The rooms (except for the loft rooms) were large and comfortable. We were right on the yacht harbor so the view was great. The morning buffet breakfast had excellent food with everything from all types of fruit, breads and cereals and choices of juice, coffee and tea. Hot breakfasts were also available. We never felt any danger in the area or the hotel. The staff was unbeatable. They would arrange a driver for us if we wanted to go into the city and arrange for him to pick us back up. When I had a problem with a camera, one of the staff accompanied me to the mall to ensure that the shop treated me fairly. We highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2009

Our family had a fantastic trip to Cape Town while staying at the V&A Hotel. The location of the Hotel is fantastic right in the middle of the waterfront. A little bit touristy, but very fun with access to lots of activities for little ones. Within easy walking distance of the Aquarium, Scratch Patch and harbor cruises. We has a great time and would definitely recommend it. Unbelievable views of table mountain as well.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family