Townhouse Hotel
The Commodore(Cape Town Central)
$261
$202
Agoda.com
Protea Hotel Cape Town Victoria Junction(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
$156
$108
Protea Hotels
  • Pool
Taj Cape Town(Cape Town Central)
$196
$171
Victoria & Alfred Hotel(Cape Town Central)
$318
$230
$796
$335
Agoda.com
Southern Sun The Cullinan(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
$248
$135
bedfinder
  • Pool
Winchester Mansions(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
$192
$131
  • Breakfast included
Cape Diamond Hotel(Cape Town Central)
$62
$42
  • Restaurant
Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
$142
$101
Travelocity
$343
$220
Travelocity
  • Pool
All reviewscompany gardensdistrict museumlong streettable mountaincentral locationwithin walking distancegreen marketbusiness hoteljunior suitedirect accessparking garagea nice place to staysingle roomdecent hotelgreenmarket squarecomfortable bedrooms are small
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I first stayed at this hotel in January 2012 and gave it a fairly positive review all be it with some shortcomings. Now in January 2013 I have returned again and i have to say I have been somewhat disappointed with the overall experience with this property.

Firstly, having learned from my previous stay, I booked a premium room. The room was described as a "Family Deluxe" consisting of 2 twin beds, a sofa, and being larger than the normal deluxe rooms. The rate was a special advance rate making the booking very competitive. Anyway, upon checkin lots of fuss and nonsense about them supposedly being unable to identify the booking (despite being in possession of a written confirmation from the actual property). Eventually I am allocated my room. I enter the room to find it is nothing like the description of the room I had booked and paid. Calling the front desk more nonsense about them not being quite able to identify the room type I had been allocated (yeah right). After prevarication the manager confirmed I had a "Deluxe Room" but assured me that the rate was no different! That was NOT the point! The room type allocated was of a lower category than that booked and PAID for. The room was not a refurbished room, somewhat smaller, and the bathroom had could not fit a cat in!

Once I was moved (after some insistence) to the category of room I had paid for the difference was remarkable. Now I had a room, which was clearly as described in my confirmation. The bathroom was huge and refurbished and the air conditioning worked! That was the point! Getting the room I had booked and paid for and not something clearly sub-standard! In summary this property attempted to "pull a fast one". This was my 13th visit to Cape Town and I am aware of pretty much every travel related scam in South Africa. I was not impressed!.

Moving on the internet is unusable. This is clearly unacceptable for a business hotel of this class. I note over reviewers have identified similar issues.

The hotel is well located and, if given a decent room, is comfortable and clean. That being said this property needs to resolve the sharp drop in service standards with both the hard and soft products. On my next visit to CPT I will move elsewhere!

Room Tip: Avoid the single rooms and pay extra to book a family deluxe (but make sure you get the room booked and paid for).
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank stephLDN16
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Even before arriving the service of the staff was excellent - accommodating our room request. The hotel is in a very quiet neighbourhood and is still in walking distance from numerous fantastic restaurants and Long Street with all its shops and cafés.
Rooms are great - good beds, soundproof windows, quiet aircon, spacious bathroom (but low showerhead). And when staying at 11th floor the view at Table Mountain was fantastic!
Breakfast is excellent - you can enjoy the healthy stuff, the sweet meal, or order your eggs in any way you like.
We will definitely use this hotel upon return to Cape Town.

Room Tip: The high floors are quiet. Corner rooms have windows in multiple directions.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JeJeWe
Reviewed January 9, 2013

A decent, but not perfect, hotel well located in Cape Town Central.
The staff are generally friendly with the exception of one or two who didn't seem to have their heart in what they were doing, or made an attempt to put a facade on that they were. But we are talking the odd one or two exceptions to the general rule of nice and helpful staff.
The hotel itself has some decent facilities and is well maintained. The rooms are a well appointed, cleaned well and often and large enough though not enoourmous. Excellent en suite facilities in the room I was in. The aircon worked but wasn't overly effective. The wifi is not good. It's there but is very slow and the reception not brilliant and my android phone did not like it at all. For my phone the wifi was next to useless to be honest.
The breakfast buffet is good. Well stocked with a wide variety. Cooked breakfasts are ordered and I have to say that every time I did order a cooked breakfast the order that arrived was incorrect. Not massively so - I would either get the wrong kind of sausage or two eggs when I asked for one etc. This sounds picky but when you want to be a hotel of the highest quality everything must be right.
Evening meals in the restaurant I honestly wouldn't bother with. There is nothing specifically wrong with the food. It's pretty good but not of a standard I would consider high enough and considering the wealth of choice in Cape Town (there are some very excellent and reasonably priced restaurants) I would venture out for dinner. I had steak at the hotel one night which was OK. Another night I had a fish medley thing which wasn't great. Many of the wines from the list were unavailable both times. The deserts seemed better prepared than the mains - at least the ones I saw. Bar snacks and such are pretty good.
The hotel is rated four stars and it's close to that in my experience but honestly I would say it falls just a little short of it in some aspects. A decent place to stay for sure but needs just a little something more to justify that fourth star in my humble opinion. If I could I'd give 3.5 stars.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Not the friendliest staff, ridiculous parking area, you drive all the way up (about 13 floors) which feels like forever and the room I stayed in is extremely small. Very noisy area - day and night as it is situated in the heart of the city. For people that don't know of any better, might like this one, but I didn't. I can recommend other hotels in the same price range that will give you a better 'feel' for what Cape Town is about., even when you're there for business. The conference facilities were not too bad and the food (snacks) were very good. Breakfast was average.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This was our third stay at the Town House but sadly the Hotel is no longer what it used to be.
Generally the staff are friendly but this visit we found some of the breakfast staff quite rude and obnoxious.

Plus points:
1. Clean rooms.
2. Central (but can be noisy) location.
3. Good evening meals and pleasant evening staff.

Negative points:
1. Rude obnoxious breakfast staff.
2. Air-conditioner in the room only blows warm or cold - no fan option.
3.You need to pay for parking which is located in a parking garage on the 7th floor - takes a while to drive up and down the garage.
4. Curtains in the room don't close properly so you get woken up early by the bright morning sunlight.
5. The rooms can get quite stuffy but you get woken up by the noise outside if you open the windows.

Sadly we will not be returning for a forth visit.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family