“Had a really good time”

Ranked #72 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Kent, England
“Had a really good time”
Reviewed September 6, 2009

This hotel was briliant. Although a little dated it was absolutely spotless. The rooms are a good size and so are the bathrooms. Although you have to pay for the valet parking it works extremely well and isn't very expensive. The staff are good. Its very central so it is easy to walk where you want during the day. Breakfast was brilliant but evening buffet could have been better. Would have liked more than 2 coffees and teas in the room but I drink so much tea. Just brilliant for exploring all round Cape Town and surrounding area.

• Stayed August 2009
2 Thank picky1kent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
London
Reviewed July 27, 2009

It took us forever to check in and when we got to the room found the bathroom some what dingy, so much so that we waited until we got to our second hotel room the next day to shower. Great value for money though, especially when booked online, and also the hotel is situated in a great central location and many parts of the central city are easily walkable.

Free breakfast the next morning wasn't all that applealing either. I'd say this hotel is worth a stay but maybe just for a few days if you're spending a longer time in Cape Town then you may look into other places after one night if not entirely satisfied.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed July 15, 2009

We had 2 nights there as part of the deal with a cruise from Fremantle, Australia.
We caught a taxi from V and A Waterfront for 20 Rand. We arrived at 11 am but there was no problem checking into our room on the 8th Floor, looking out to Table Mountain The hotel is showing its age . the noisy lifts are a bit of a worry, but this adds to the quaint atmosphere. The included breakfast downstairs in the restaurant is was excellent , after taking my coffee outside to have with a smoke I found out you can smoke at the bar in the restaurant. The black slate outside the lift must be the shiniest the world. Every time we went in our out there was a person scrubbing it !
The Business Centre on the 5th floor has internet access - sort of. Access is expensive, the PCs were old Dells with fuzzy CRT monitors.I had to get someone from downstairs to set up an internet connection and enter the code I had bought, only to find the PCs do not have an accessible USB port so I could not email my photos - which was the object of the exercise.!
Our first night there was Sunday , no open eating eating establishments were visible in the street so we walked past the station to Mc Donalds which we had noticed on the way in. After 28 days on a cruise junk food was delicious.
We later discovered that walking that part of town at night was not such a great idea but we got there and back safely.
The adjacent St George Mall is a great shopping area, during the day it is filled with souvenir, travel equipment, fruit and other stalls. The first restaurant on the right going up the mall is excellent. A simple toasted sandwich came with salad and chips - for half the price we would pay in Australia. Look for the special breakfast on the blackboard ,
available only until 10.30.
There are numerous Public Security Officers on the streets during the day, they dispelled our security fears and are very helpfull with directions.
We had not researched our destination well, we had to buy some warmer clothes, this was when we discovered most things in South Africa are at least 30% cheaper than Australia.
We have taken to carrying some sachets of instant Cappuccino whenever we travel, we always like more than the one cup of coffee provided in hotel rooms .
I negotiated an internet rate for one night a week later. We were staying with relos but wanted too stay in town the night before catching the Premier Classe overnight train to Johannesburg the next day. The friendly valet guys provide a shuttle to the station for a very reasonable 20 Rand.
If we get back to Capetown we will stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rodj34
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed June 18, 2009

I found an offer for the Hotel St George’s for around £30 per night and as I very much like the sister hotel (Ritz in Green Point), I thought I give it a try. I was staying in one of the corner rooms on the 9th floor, which is really super spacious and nicely arranged although the interior is rather dark. Everything in the room worked without any problems, the room was cleaned every day, and the breakfast buffet is okay. Staff at reception were friendly and helpful although at times they could not find the guy in charge of the wireless internet vouchers. The air condition was slightly annoying since it seems to connect several rooms and so I could listen to conversations of other hotel guests in the room below or above. It is important to know that the St George’s Hotel is not necessarily in the safest area in Cape Town. It is fine walking to the CTICC or other venues at day but at nighttime I would not venture out on foot. All in all, I would prefer the St George’s over the Fountains Hotel, which is located in the same block and has similar rates.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Mumbai
Reviewed June 1, 2009

I had the most horrible experience at st georges hotel; I used to at times leave my wallet in the room during breakfast at the restaurant downstairs; the housekeeping staff had opened my wallet; noted down details of my international credit cards and after I had left, made unauthorised and illegal transactions using the card at merchants around the hotel; total spend in such manner was USD 1500 in three days time; luckily citibank did not find me liable for these charges as I had the card in my possession and these transactions happened after I had left Cape Town back to India but the experience was horrible; also the staff used to creep me out, especially the reception and front desk staff; only the restaurant staff very nice and friendly; so BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN YOU STAY AT THIS HOTEL

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
London
Reviewed May 22, 2009

Very good central location, clean room and excellent breakfast.
Easy walk to most Cape Town locations, food and entertainment areas, with exception of
V & A (however, one visit is enough).
Parking is by valet, but simple and reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Annapolis
Reviewed April 25, 2009

I stayed overnight while transiting through Cape Town for 4 years in a row. The rooms are grossly outdated, but cheap. It was fine for one person looking for an inexpensive night. When checking out after my last visit I was advised that the credit card machine was broken. The clerk said she needed to make a copy of my credit card in case there were any "incidentals". Should have known better but agreed. Next month there is a charge for airline tickets in S. Africa which I did not make. The only time that particular credit card was used was at that hotel! The card company did not charge me but it was still a hassle. Numerous complaint letters and emails were sent without one single response! That was the last time I'll ever stay there.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo