“Fantastic Service”

The Commodore
Ranked #43 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
“Fantastic Service”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Recently we spent a few days in Cape Town for the Cape Argus Cycle Challenge. This was our third time for the cycle race and also the third time at the Commodore Hotel. Each visit has been really great but this time the Commodore really stood out for us! My uncle was entered in the race for the first time and although he lives in the Cape and didn't stay at the Hotel the staff went out of their way to make his first Argus special. My uncle is blind and rode the race with a friend on a tandem!

Not only did the Staff help us store his tandem until the race on Sunday but they had an early breakfast setting for the cyclists and had no problem with us bringing the family and supporters in at 4am to join us for a very early breakfast. Once the cyclists had gone off to the start the rest of us were made to feel very welcome in the lounge where we were provided with an endless supply of tea and coffee. The staff was amazing with their caring and encouragement.

Once my uncle and his friend had completed the race they came back to the Commodore for a shower and celebratory drinks! Where the manager came and congratulated my uncle on his race personally.

As a hotel the Commodore is very well situated, close to the V & A Waterfront. There are an abundance of things to do and see within walking distance. If you are wanting to go further a field the Concierge is more than willing to assist you with your arrangements. You are always welcomed with a smile and the porters are friendly and efficient whether it be fetching your car or getting the lift. The restaurant is well set up and the food is tasty and well presented. The rooms are very comfortable and we have always had enough space for my hubbies bike without feeling cramped.

All in all I would recommend the Commodore without reservation to anyone visiting Cape Town.

Room Tip: The suites have to best views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Glenda W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Great hotel in a very good location especially close to The Waterfront. Rooms were good but cleaning was only average and I had to call cleaner back again to clean bathroom. Breakfast was only average and the choice was quite limited.
I got hassled by a drunk lady at the bar one night!

My experience was totally ruined after my watch was stolen from my room. This ruined my holiday and left a bad taste. Although most of my valuables were in the safe I left my watch out one day without thinking and it disappeared.
The management were reasonably proactive but no offer of compensation or price reduction was offered and no apology from anyone either! So BEWARE they have a thief amidst their staff, vigilence is required if you stay here.

Room Tip: Some rooms look out onto the wall of another building so ask for a room with at least some sort of v...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Andy S
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The commodore is a very nice 4 star hotel. Situated very close to the waterfront (couple of hundred meters), this hotel is ideally situated for business and holiday travel. I stayed here for one night in March 2013 and found the experience to be very pleasant. The staff is professional and the room was what one would expect from a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sydney
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I think the thing with this hotel is you have to know what you are getting. You are paying for the location. It's in a great safe area in the V&A dock. If you want to pay 4 or 5 times the price you will get an amazing hotel fully refurbished with the same location. For me this hotel has proven to be a good compromise on price offering great value.

The staff have all been friendly, there was a little bother checking into my room (which I could have done without at 9 pm after travelling for 26 hours) but staff were very apologetic. I changed rooms on day two to a top floor room with views of table mountain and the docks. Both rooms were the same aside the view.

The beds are comfy and furniture is fine and relatively new. If I owned this hotel I would invest in upgrading the bathrooms which by now seem about 10 - 15 years old and very dated.

I would also probably put wooden floors in the bedrooms at that would be it. But then they could and probably would charge 4 or 5 times what they do now!

Given that I stayed for 6 nights for less than $1000 AUD and had breakfast every day, friendly service and amazing views I would highly recommend this hotel. Worth noting that its best to approach the hotel direct for rates, even though the website is crap and you have to email to get a rate they are much cheaper than expedia etc.

That said if you have $500+ a night to spend burning a hole in your pocket, go elsewhere...

Room Tip: Ask for a room on level 5 or 6 facing Cable Mountain (odd numbered rooms )
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Norfolk
Reviewed March 17, 2013

With just a little improvement, this hotel would be brilliant. We arrived early from an overnight flight and had emailed ahead so that staff would be expecting this. We still had to wait for several hours before being taken to our room. Other guests arriving with us were accommodated much quicker and we were given no apologies/updates whilst we waited. It left us feeling very aggrieved after an exhausting journey. The room had a view over Table Mountain but would benefit from updating - a flat screen tv and separate shower would help. Housekeeping could be better - mini bar empty and short on towels/toiletries during our stay. BUT, excellent breakfasts and the waiting staff were friendly and helpful. V. good location and with more attention to detail, this would be a good hotel for tourists as well as business customers.

Room Tip: A higher floor with a view of Table Mountain.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I had the pleasure of spending a few hours at the Commodore for a business meeting. The tasteful elegance welcomes you to a calm respite from the bustle of the city. Cosy spaces with comfortable seating creates pockets of space for quiet conversation. The staff were very helpful and friendly and most importantly not intrusive. I especially enjoyed the individually packaged biscuits served with the delicious coffee. The time spent there passed very quickly, a pleasure I look forward to repeating often.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Commodore for five nights whilst visiting Cape Town. Great location for the V & A Waterfront.Rooms were spacious, very clean, no complaints at all, the only problem we came across was with the Wifi it wouldn't work on the 6th floor. would certainly recommend this hotel and would have no hesitation in staying again

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple