The Commodore
Victoria & Alfred Hotel(Cape Town Central)
$210
$199
Hotels.com
$126
  • Restaurant
Hilton Cape Town City Centre(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
$137
$127
  • Pool
Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
$107
  • Pool
Townhouse Hotel(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
$138
$134
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Taj Cape Town(Cape Town Central)
$150
$130
Orbitz.com
$241
$227
Travelocity
  • Pool
One&Only Cape Town(Cape Town Central)
$722
$676
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Derwent House Boutique Hotel(Cape Town Central)
$163
$151
The Table Bay Hotel(Cape Town Central)
$329
$305
1,427 results
All reviewsgreat locationnautical themetable mountaintravel deskguest relationsshort walkwaterfront areasmall balconybit datedvictoria and alfred waterfrontcomfortable hotelstayed here for nightsrobben islandbreakfast buffet isan excellent hotelwater frontrestaurants and shops
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We went to SA for our honeymoon and stayed at The Commodore as our first stop.

We didn't book the nicest rooms but did mention this was for honeymoon. However funny enough they still sent us to a room with two twin beds. My husband talked to the front desk and was moved to a much bigger room with a king size bed on the 6th floor. That was nice.

However if you do plan to book the bigger room I hope you are not going to have too much expectation. The room itself is fine (though plain and dated), the view is awesome (did get one with the mountain view), but my complain is mainly about the bathroom. It's clean, but it needs quite a lot of TLC - it's pretty old and a few things were broken esp the extractor (I know since my husband ended up with a bit of food poisoning....you get what I mean). I assume the room I got is already one of those good ones so I am pretty disappointed there.

On the positive side:
Location is awesome: really short walk to V&A waterfront; staffs are helpful and quick (as mentioned they did the switch pretty quickly) plus friendly. The breakfast was pretty good. It's the same every morning, but then since it has everything from pastries to yogurts to fruits to hot food to made to order eggs and steaks, you can probably find something different every morning.

Room Tip: The higher the better. Just don't go with much expectation and don't think this is ideal for romantic getaway.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed there for 5 nights for a business trip in south africa and found its worthy to stay there. Well mannered staffs and spacious room. Room service is outstanding. location is perfect. very close to V&A waterfront so enjoy shopping and dinning. Just one red flag- Poor breakfast menu which could be improved.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank baul_154
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I spent 4 nights at this hotel and enjoyed my stay very much. The staff was always friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and quiet. The room temperature/ac/fan was easy to control. We had a lovely view of Table Mtn. The breakfast buffet was great with nothing left out- fruit was sweet and delicious. The location is perfect in that it is only a quick walk across the street to the wonderful waterfront area where you can shop, dine, tour, visit the tourist info. office, ride the Red Bus, etc. Also plenty of hot water and pressure in the shower. Furniture is a bit dated, but it added to the comfort. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a balcony with a view of Table Mtn.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My family and I just returned from a week's stay at the Commodore from 2/17 to 2/23/2013. I would highly recommend it!

The location is superb. One can safely walk at night to the busy waterfront, but it is also a few steps away from the action, so it is not noisy.

The rooms are pretty standard, nothing exceptional. They are small by US standards, but big for european standards. They have a double bed and a pull out chair. We were going with two small children ( ages 8 and 4), and asked if we could have an extra bed. They had told me in advance that it would be tight. Indeed, when we reached, they had already prepared the extra bed, and it was tight but very manageable still.

The staff were very helpful. We asked for scissors, toothpaste, umbrella and electric converter, and they gladly provided us with all of those. Room service was twice a day.

We had looked up things to do for our trip, but had not arranged anything beforehand. The staff at the travel desk were plainly excellent. They arranged our tours, booked everything, all with a smile. We asked for a rental car for a day, and because it was busy time, there were none. Muneeb at the travel desk persisted, and when he found a bigger car than we needed, he negotiated a very good deal for us.
The breakfast was also one of the highlights of the day. The children especially enjoyed the large variety.
The pool was nice and I liked a lot the location of the gym next to the pool, although one treadmill was not working on our arrival, and it was still not working 6 days later.

Overall, if we ever go to Cape Town again, I would again stay at the Commodore, and would highly recommend it as great value for the money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the third floor to get a balcony, and ask for views towards Table Mountain. Every morning our children would look to check of there was a " tablecloth" (clouds) on the mountain that day.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 23, 2013

stayed there for several nights in high season, so the room was twice as much as expensive than in SA winter. It would be ok if the room would be nice, but it was not. It was small, average and with a smelly dirty bathroom, and they gave us shrunken dirty bathrobes. After our complain the manager sent their maids with supervisors to clean it properly. There was nice veiw to the Table Mountain from the room, but as well opposite to our room was a building (electric station probably) that was very noisy and it didnt help good sleeping. The breakfast was quite nice, buffet with good choice of food, and fresh meal was cooked for you by nice chef. We enjoyed their launge and evening drinks in the bar as well. This hotel probably good for big conferences and similar events, but if you are on romantic trip i could not recommend it.

Room Tip: check the location and size of your room, they have small rooms with view on the very noisy station, though the Table Mountain can be seen as well
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple