On the plus side the Commodore Hotel (and it's owned-by-the-same-group neighbour the Portswood Hotel) are well located an easy walk away from Capetowns Waterfront. The Commodore goes for a nautical theme in its common rooms and pretty much gets away with it. There's a pleasant bar serving locally brewed beer (which isn't as common as you'd expect in Capetown hotels) and a reasonable restaurant although the latter lacks a bit of ambiance. Perhaps the nicest part of the hotel is the centre courtyard garden near the pool which is great for breakfast or an evening drink. There's also a fair gym with one of each of a number of machines and a set of free weights.
Where the hotel falls down though, at least based on my experience of the 5th floor, is the rooms. They feel very dated and the carpet and fittings are significantly worn in places. The furniture was functional but again quite old. The whole floor smelt of smoke when I arrived and my [non-smoking] room was worse. It turned out the smell was from the curtains which open on to a small balcony and which a succession of guests had obviously enjoyed a few thousand cigarettes the smoke from which was absorbed by the curtains. To be fair the hotel did provide an air freshening device for me but they really need to dry clean the curtains to really address the problem.
The air conditioning is of the American "individual in room unit" kind. Once the staff got mine to work it did its job but these machines are noisy and not a good choice if you're a light sleeper.
Finally this hotel is amazingly popular with large groups which can change the atmosphere in an instant and something to be aware of. It is well located but not a hotel that I'm ever going to consider a favourite.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located at the Victoria & Alfred waterfront; panoramic views of Table Mountain & the Atlantic Ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Commodore reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Commodore Hotel Cape Town Central
- Commodore Hotel Cape Town
- Commodore Cape Town
- The Commodore Cape Town, South Africa