The Commodore
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The PortsWood(Cape Town Central)
View Hotel
Dock House Boutique Hotel(Cape Town Central)
  • Restaurant
Victoria & Alfred Hotel(Cape Town Central)
View Hotel
One&Only Cape Town(Cape Town Central)
  • Breakfast included
Cape Grace(Cape Town Central)
View Hotel
Mountain Marina(Cape Town Central)
  • Breakfast included
The Cape Royale(Cape Town Central)
  • Pool
The Silo Hotel(Cape Town Central)
1,426 results
All reviewsgreat locationnautical themetable mountaintravel deskguest relationsshort walkwaterfront areasmall balconybit datedvictoria and alfred waterfrontcomfortable hotelstayed here for nightsrobben islandbreakfast buffet isan excellent hotelwater frontrestaurants and shops
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Great location, just around the corner from the waterfront. The hotel is expensive, and it certainly feels like a ritzy hotel when you walk in. The breakfast buffet was huge and very good. There was even table service and they had soy milk available upon request. The rooms and service leave a little to be desired. My first room did not receive a Wi-Fi signal. I called the front desk three times to ask for help and was told each time that someone would get back to me shortly. I waited patiently at least 15 - 20 minutes between each call and no one ever got back to me, so I went down to reception. Not good service. Finally, someone came up to my room to check the signal and decided to switch me to another room where I could get Wi-Fi. But seriously, was I the first customer to notice there was no Wi-Fi in my first room? Wi-Fi in my new room was OK, but certainly not fast. My new room had a great view of the waterfront and Table Mountain. I ordered room service for dinner a couple of times and found the food to be excellent and they even had vegan options available. My one big complaint with the room was the shower. The water would alternate between scalding hot and freezing cold repeatedly while I was trying to take a shower! Worst hotel shower ever! Overall, a nice hotel, but a bit too pricey for me to want to stay here again.

Room Tip: Check to make sure your room receives a Wi-Fi signal if you need it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank tripdog2012
JvanderMerwe, Manager at The Commodore, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent stay at The Commodore Hotel, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you endured as a result of unacceptable internet service. I assure you that this is not our usual standard as we pride ourselves in the high speed, complimentary, WIFI internet we offer. We did have a very brief general supply / demand bandwidth problem recently but this was resolved quickly. I am sure that with your next visit you will be pleasantly surprised with the improvement.

We have noted the point you mentioned about hot water and have put measures in place that will ensure this is thoroughly checked more often. Again, our apologies for this.

Thank you again for your detailed response. We trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Commodore in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel twice - in late September and mid October. As others have said, the hotel has a good location - about a five minute walk to the waterfront area. And both rooms I had were comfortable, with good tea/coffee facilities. Neither room was small by European standards. The shower was excellent - plenty of hot water, and very powerful.

The only downside with my room was on the second stay, when the hotel heating seemed to be turned up full blast. There was an effective air con unit - but it was a bit noisy.

My only other comment relates to price: I paid less than one thousand rand (about £80) for my first stay via Expedia, but nealy two and a half thousand rand for my second stay. Expedia continued to offer a much better price than if booking with the hotel direct, which I think is a shame. It's a really great hotel for the first price, but less good for the second.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments on Trip Advisor regarding your overall experience at The Commodore Hotel, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town.

Please accept our apologies for the noise levels you experienced with air conditioning unit. I wish I had known you had a problem as this is something that can be resolved very easily.

With regards to the very valid comment you made on pricing, we are listed with quite a few online Travel Agents and rates always vary depending on season, availability, exchange rates and demand. You will however notice that the average rate is mostly consistent as this is something that we always try and maintain.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

This hotel is in a great location very convenient to the V&A Waterfront with a beautiful lobby bar and the best free breakfast I have ever had. The room was nice, but a little small and ours was very quiet as it looked out on a beautiful courtyard. The staff was nice but confused much on the time; however we had 3 different reservations over 4 days

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank travlinman1946

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your most recent stay at The Commodore Hotel, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town.

We are very proud of the unique and memorable breakfast experience we offer and I delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed it too.

I am however concerned about the level of "confusion" you experienced with the personnel and would appreciate some more detail on this as it really goes a long way in training the team on what is important to our guests, at all times.

We look forward to hearing from you and also to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Well located within a short walk of the V&A Waterfront and restaurant and entertainment venues. The hotel is traditional nautical style in the lobby and common areas, with a great bar complete with fireplace and cozy chairs. I used the dining room only for breakfast and it was excellent, both food and service. Friendly and helpful hotel staff, comfortable rooms. Reliable internet and electrical sockets which can accommodate various plugs (besides the strange 3 pronged round types used in S.A.). As a business traveler, the only inconvenience was the phone on the bedstand and not on the desk. The gym is a bit small but well equipped and there's an outdoor pool for those who can handle the chill.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
JvanderMerwe, Manager at The Commodore, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for detailed feedback and kind words about your most recent stay at the Commodore Hotel, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town.

We are delighted to hear that we have met your expectations, overall, and we look forward to having you with us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

From the minute I pulled into the driveway of the Commodore I felt warmly welcomed. I never saw a staff member without a sincere smile and greeting. One gentleman even followed me out the door with an umbrella because it looked like it might rain while I was out. The hotels location is amazing. I felt quite comfortable walking from the V&A Waterfront back to the hotel by myself after sundown through the well lit parking garage and up the stairs. My room was spotless and very comfortable. The small balcony with open French doors was especially refreshing in a smoking room. The breakfast was excellent as was dinner in the bar and cappuccino in front of the fireplace. I hope to visit this friendly hotel in this friendly city again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words. We are delighted to hear that not only our Hotel or our amazing city exceeded your expectations but your experience with our great people is what you take home with you.

Thank you also for the detailed feedback on what it is you enjoyed about our Hotel, it really goes a long way in helping us getting to know our guests and what it is that they enjoy.

Best wishes and we look forward to seeing you again soon.