“Commodore hotel Cape Town”
Review of The Commodore

The Commodore
Ranked #43 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Jacksonville, Florida
“Commodore hotel Cape Town”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This hotel is in a great location very convenient to the V&A Waterfront with a beautiful lobby bar and the best free breakfast I have ever had. The room was nice, but a little small and ours was very quiet as it looked out on a beautiful courtyard. The staff was nice but confused much on the time; however we had 3 different reservations over 4 days

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank travlinman1946
JvanderMerwe, Manager at The Commodore, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your most recent stay at The Commodore Hotel, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town.

We are very proud of the unique and memorable breakfast experience we offer and I delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed it too.

I am however concerned about the level of "confusion" you experienced with the personnel and would appreciate some more detail on this as it really goes a long way in training the team on what is important to our guests, at all times.

We look forward to hearing from you and also to welcoming you back in the near future.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Well located within a short walk of the V&A Waterfront and restaurant and entertainment venues. The hotel is traditional nautical style in the lobby and common areas, with a great bar complete with fireplace and cozy chairs. I used the dining room only for breakfast and it was excellent, both food and service. Friendly and helpful hotel staff, comfortable rooms. Reliable internet and electrical sockets which can accommodate various plugs (besides the strange 3 pronged round types used in S.A.). As a business traveler, the only inconvenience was the phone on the bedstand and not on the desk. The gym is a bit small but well equipped and there's an outdoor pool for those who can handle the chill.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
JvanderMerwe, Manager at The Commodore, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for detailed feedback and kind words about your most recent stay at the Commodore Hotel, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town.

We are delighted to hear that we have met your expectations, overall, and we look forward to having you with us again in the not too distant future.

Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed October 9, 2012

From the minute I pulled into the driveway of the Commodore I felt warmly welcomed. I never saw a staff member without a sincere smile and greeting. One gentleman even followed me out the door with an umbrella because it looked like it might rain while I was out. The hotels location is amazing. I felt quite comfortable walking from the V&A Waterfront back to the hotel by myself after sundown through the well lit parking garage and up the stairs. My room was spotless and very comfortable. The small balcony with open French doors was especially refreshing in a smoking room. The breakfast was excellent as was dinner in the bar and cappuccino in front of the fireplace. I hope to visit this friendly hotel in this friendly city again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words. We are delighted to hear that not only our Hotel or our amazing city exceeded your expectations but your experience with our great people is what you take home with you.

Thank you also for the detailed feedback on what it is you enjoyed about our Hotel, it really goes a long way in helping us getting to know our guests and what it is that they enjoy.

Best wishes and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I find myself mystified at some of the virulent, unhelpful reviews that I have just read, of a hotel that at worst might be deemed a little tired. I however found it to be an excellent hotel, I don't know how many stars it has but I would definitely rate it as a four-star. The check-in was excellent with a friendly counter clerk being extremely helpful in getting my companion and myself checked in in the minimum amount of time.

Lunch and Dinner on the day of my check-in were excellent, bar service excellent, Breakfast the next morning excellent (there's a trend starting here!) I cannot fault any aspect of the hotel or my stay. The next time I come back to Cape Town, I would more than happily stay at the Commodore.

1 Thank LNGCJohnboy
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your overall positve experience at the Commodore Hotel, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town. We are absolutely delighted to know that we could meet your expectations of not only a four star property, but also the level of service we pride ourselves in.

Have a great journey and we look forward to hosting you again with your next visit to Cape Town.

sweden
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is a very nice hotel with great service and very spacious and nice furnished rooms! The location is good just opposite the Waterfront which is full of shops, restaurants and activities. Free wifi as well as computers in the business center! Breakfast was one of the best ever, all sorts of fresh and exotic fruits. Hot breakfast with everything a breakfast can have; you name it they have it! Heavenly good! And, the service, exceptional! Very helpful staff! In general people in CT were very kind!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

What a great response! We appreciate it immensely and thank you for it.

We are proud of our Hotel and also of our beautiful city and we love to hear when guests share this passion with us.

Travel safe and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Padova
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The Commodore Hotel is close to the V and A Waterfront area. The hotel is friendly, does a great breakfast, has a good bar and I'm sure does good meals but I have not eaten there. The waterfront area is 5 mins walk away and has great bars and restaurants, hence I tend to go there and not use the hotels. If I'm being picky I might say I prefer a pot of tea to having to ask a waiter each time, but more importantly the tea was decent.

Rooms are comfy and quiet, there is free Internet access and I will always return to this hotel for its friendliness and closeness to the Waterfront.

1 Thank DavidjohnPadova
Dear Guest,

It is very pleasing to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the Commodore Hotel, as a whole, during your most recent visit. Your detailed feedback really goes a long way in asissting us in getting to know our guests and what they enjoy about our Hotel.

We are looking forward to hosting you again with your next visit to Cape Town.

Have a safe a pleasant journey.

England
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Although the decor is dull and dated, this hotel is good value for money - very clean room, very comfortable bed, strong shower in bathroom, quiet at night. Breakfast was excellent with a wide choice of good quality food, but horrible coffee. The staff were all friendly, helpful and polite - although the travel desk person wasn't very interested in giving me walking directions to the city centre, which turned out to be a much longer walk than the 15 minutes they suggested it would be. The location near the waterfront means you are a few minutes away from restaurants, shops, tour buses, boat trips etc. As a single older lady traveller I had no problems walking back to the hotel from the waterfront at night. I haven't stayed at other Cape Town hotels, but this one is a good value and comfortable base for sightseeing and business meetings. I stayed in Spetember so can't comment on the pool area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for commenting on your overall positive experience at the Commodore Hotel, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town.

I apologise profusely for the inaccurate information you received regarding the CBD. By Car it is very, very close but by foot - and depending where you are walking to - it can take up to 20 to 30 minutes.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the PortsWood Hotel next time you are in Cape Town and please let me know when you do visit again so that i can personally assist with your transport requirements.