“Great hotel stay, yummy breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Ritz Cape Town

The Ritz Cape Town
Ranked #92 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Boston (well, an hour south)
“Great hotel stay, yummy breakfast”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

My friend and I really enjoyed our stay here. The rooms are a little small, but we are only there to sleep. The breakfast was good, and the outside patio for the pool was awesome. I wish that the weather was hot enough for a quick swim. Both the front desk and the Airport Shuttle office were helpful and nice. They allowed us a late checkout and a place to store our luggage as our flight was later in the evening. I wish this hotel had an ATM or a cash-exchange desk, but it is not a problem as there are ATMs around town. The only negative point that I had with this hotel was that we asked for a late checkout (noon) and were called 2-3 times to checkout (well before noon). I'm not sure if the morning shift knew we were checking out late, but it was annoying to answer the phone when I knew I still had about 1/2 hour until noon. However, this small annoyance does not change my opinion of returning to this hotel. I love the area of Seapoint and this place is perfectly close to Beach Road and the little shops/restaurants.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2012

This is a stunning location for a restaurant. It is obviously on the top floor of the Ritz shaped as a huge glass
dome.It revolves very very slowly giving clients wonderful views over the whole of cape Town, including the bay and table mountain. Ideally eat close to sunset, and watch day turn to night as the city lights take hold. During the course of a meal you will revolve 3 or 4 times.
The menu is very extensive, and compared to the UK is very inexpensive. The food is outstanding.
Highly recommended if you are visiting Cape Town.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jbparker66
Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I have just completed a one week stay at the Ritz. I travel a lot for my work and have stayed in many places all over the world and am reasonably accomodating of differinging standards and forgiving where hotels might be having one off problems but my stay at the Ritz was simply a horredous experiance. Like the last commentator I can confirm that floors 5 and 6 were popoulated with a heavy Marijuna smoking group I find this espicialy distrubing given a choir group of young girls were aslo staying at the hotel.

I did not have the same experiance with excessive cockroaches as the last commentator but the room supplies were a problem ie I didnt get a replacement toilet roll for two days - this is not the fault of the cleaning staff (who were fine) but I suspect managment who are scrimping and saving ie you only get two coffee satchels and one tea and if you need more you need to request that from management.

I will also add that while I was there I was violently ill and while that can come from many sources I have my suspicions.

Anyway its a shame to see what I understand was such a grand hotel in the 70's fall into such a debilitaed state.

All up a horrible experiance

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank John D

Travelers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

Lansdowne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 30, 2012

i took my group of 26 people to stay at the Ritz Hotel. It was the most horrible experience i ever had. The hotel was infested with roaches. The rooms and bathroom were filthy. A group of people was smoking pot in the halls & elevator. The entire hotel reeked of pot. There were several incidents of men urinnating on the side of the building. Sexual comments were made to some of the women guest and a group of gentlement followed one of the ladies to her room. The food was disgusting. Most of us did not sleep that night. There were so many complaints from my guest that the group of 26 checked out the next day. The management was not responsive to our complaints.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank 52979Trav123
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Do NOT stay at this hotel. I stayed here earlier this year. There were cockroaches. I received an apology, was upgraded to a suite on my last night. I was still disgusted and complained, was given 2 complimentary nights in July ( 3 months later) and lo and behold - cockroaches again, asked them to spray, 45 minutes later - am still waiting

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank seldduc
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We booked to stay in this hotel for 11 x nights because of the price, however we moved around and used the hotel only for about 7 thankfully. This is a very run down poor hotel that needs investment ,
The bathroom was like something out of the 1960's, and we had a refurbished room !

The reviews before we booked were mixed however, we have not came across a good review since our stay last year. This hotel does not promote tourisim in South Africa very well or it's staff.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank toonfox
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Very unhappy, was robbed in room when out for the day. Complained to manager, told me would take a long time to sort out. Avoided my calls and Would not return my calls. Very unsatisfactory and very disappointing. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone ever.

• Stayed June 2012