“Great value for money in stunning location”

Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town
Ranked #30 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
London, United Kingdom
“Great value for money in stunning location”
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

This hotel can be highly recommended. Very personal, not too many rooms, staff will know you after 2 days. Great waterfront location with wonderful views and 8 mins walking distance to V&A waterfront shopping. Only let-down (and that makes me question the 5* rating) is the rather poorly run tobago restaurant and the condition of the room (cracked and loose paint, mould in the shower etc) - simply the details you expect to be right in a 5* hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LondonFoxhole
Michael R, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear LondonFoxhole,

Thank you for taking time to deliver your response and sharing your experience with us and other viewers.

Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission.
Your comments have been noted and we have addressed the issues mentioned.

Wishing you a very Happy New year and safe travels.

Debra Sivertsen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed December 20, 2013

This is a lovely hotel, the location right on the water is great and the bar and restaurant setting is second to none. I could spend days in that bar area just relaxing! All the staff I encountered were super friendly and efficient (a big thanks to all the staff!). We utilised the shuttle bus to the V&A waterfront many times. If you can afford it then book a sea view room - we were in a standard room but it was still lovely. I would stay here again. My one gripe is that the wifi was very hit and miss.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear ShanetMc,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this great feedback of the Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront.

I am so pleased to read all your positive comments as this really encourages all our staff to be the very best.

Wishing you a wonderful festive season and a very happy New Year.

Bamako, Mali
Reviewed December 12, 2013

If you are looking for unadulterated luxury, amazing service, wonderful cuisine, and a stellar location in Cape Town, look no further than the Radisson Blu. I am generally a big fan of the Radisson Blu chain because of the high standards as well as the environmental consciousness of the company. The Waterfront,lCape Town though is the best I've experienced. The hotel is located in a small next to the new stadium (an amazing piece of modern architecture with table mountain in the background.), the spacious city park around the stadium, the V&A Waterfront (a 5-minute walk), and of course the ocean. I particularly enjoyed the long infinity pool right up against the ocean, great for laps and heated to boot! Plan for part of your day every day to sit by the ocean on the hotel's beachfront (excellent beach-chairs and umbrellas with great service, food, and drinks. No sand though, you're there for the stunning views of the harbor, the boats passing by, and even (I kid you not) dolphins frolicking. The rooms are modern and the beds just eat you they are so comfortable. You will not want to wake up. One negative: instant coffee is an abomination, there should be drip coffee makers in the rooms, not just electric water kettles, though the little packets of real milk were a nice touch. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ocean view, but you pay for it.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear ClintWorldWide,

Thank you for your very positive review of our hotel! It was such a pleasure reading your comments – thank you. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and other readers and look forward to welcoming you back when next your travels bring you to Cape Town!

Kind regards
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Choosing the Radisson Blu as our hotel in Cape Town was one of the best decisions we made on our last trip. The personnel was super helpful, accomodating and made our anniversary trip very memorable! Thank you for the nice welcome champagne and romantic setting in the room! Location is perfect, with convenient parking. Also the views are great!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Karlamfm,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we could contribute to making your anniversary a memorable one!

We look forward to welcoming you back when next your travels bring you back to Cape Town.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Quite surprised by some of the recent comments negative comments on this hotel, I have traveled widely and stayed in many hotels and in my opinion the Service, Food Quality and Location make this hotel in my top 5 places to stay.

The service, warmth and helpfulness from staff is extraordinary and I would stay here for this alone. There are many hotel chains in so call luxury resorts who could learn many things from the staff here.

This is not a cheap hotel by any means, and its possibly this element that leaves people expecting more given the usual cost of things in South Africa. Its probably my only real complaint. Wifi is a pain in the butt, as in many place in SA - they just dont have the communications infrastructure that people may be used to elsewhere, but its getting there and I was able to work on VPN effectively.

I would loved an Ocean view but hotel was full so if you get the choice try to grab one with a view

Room Tip: Ocean room view will make your stay!! Land facing rooms can get a bit noisy, especially over kitc...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear MulhollandP,

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront.

It is so good to receive such positive feedback and I have shared this with all of our team.
Wishing you a great festive season and safe travels.

Palo Alto, California, United States
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I'm wrapping up a 3-night stay, in town for business. I had been planning to stay at the Hilton downtown, but at the last minute switched over the Radisson Blu on a colleague's suggestion. I was a little nervous b/c the Hilton has done such a good job in my past stays, but decided to give it a try, mainly b/c it was on the waterfront. In the past, I've stayed at the Westin in Cape Town.

Physically and location-wise, this is a nice hotel. The lobby is a little small and worn, but completely functional. The restaurant is probably the nicest physical area in the hotel, with a great patio area that has a view of the ocean. Breakfast there is a delight for the natural surroundings. I had a business class room, and it was great. Very spacious. Suffered from a set of less than professional paint jobs in the past that lead to a lumpy look, but this is nitpick.

Food was average (room service) to slightly above average (breakfast buffet).

Noise is poor. There has been an event every night in the lobby, right outside the room door given the open air construction of the hotel, which means a lot of noise in the rooms until late each evening.

Wi-Fi is terrible. I think they're doing some type of port or MIME-based filtering that allowed me to browse webpages, but blocked downloading of attachments or navigating to some of my corporate sites or loading data for certain Android apps, e.g., American Airlines. This made it so difficult to work that I had to purchase a separate data bundle on my mobile SIM just to compensate for this.

Service is the only major bump in the road. Let me first say that nearly everyone I met at the hotel was friendly. This means a lot to me. When you come off a plane after 36 hours of travel, the last thing you need are mean people.

However, there was a pretty big miss on my last evening that really just didn't reflect well on the hotel. I had been using the car service during my stay. It's expensive but convenient, and since I was here on business, I didn't have much allowance for being late or uncertainty. After my last meeting, I decided to take a brief walk at the waterfront and asked the driver to take me there. When he dropped me off, I asked him where the shuttle picked up and he informed me it was at the same location as where he was dropping me off, hourly, at a quarter past the hour.

With that in hand, I planned an hour to walk and browse, and headed back to the site. It was getting chilly and I decided to dine back at the hotel. By 10 past, I didn't see the shuttle so called the hotel. They indicated that I was at the wrong location, and said I needed to walk about 5 minutes to a different location for the pickup, but that I would be late by a few minutes. I asked if they could hold the shuttle a few minutes but they said no. I asked if there was any other way to get back and they said no. No apology, directions, offer to pickup and provide a ride, voucher in case I lacked enough local currency - just a goodbye. I asked a nearby bellhop for help getting a cab, but he seemed to only be helping his hotel's patrons, and instructed that I walk.

So past sunset, I took the 20 minute walk back to the hotel. It was chilly and I did my best to cover my throat, but by the time I got back, I was sweating and tired, had a crick in my throat, and got the sinking feeling I had caught a cold. The guest relations person who had introduced himself to me was unavailable (on vacation for 4 days) and had no voicemail, and my request to speak to the manager on duty resulted in a dropped call. Tired, I simply gave up and decided to hop in the shower.

I'm not yet sure what to think of the Radisson Blu. I think like many hotels, it's a mix of good and bad. Great location, ok food, terrible Internet, mixed service - well-intentioned and with a smile, just uneven. And as I sit here writing this with a cough and growing cold, I just have to ask myself, are these mishaps worth it? I hop back on a plane tomorrow to Johannesburg for more meetings, then in the evening, start another 36-hour plane journey back. And I have to conclude that it would be better to be well-rested and healthy than to have great scenery.

I will likely need to recommend to my colleagues that we utilize another hotel for business and in the future, will probably need to stay at the Westin or Hilton. But I will definitely miss breakfast on the patio.

Room Tip: Get a business class room if you can. The higher and further away from the lobby where there is mus...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Michael R, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Paul L,

I would just say thank you for your feedback.

I do apologize for the incidents that took place and Marcel the gentleman you spoke to on the morning of your departure will contact you directly.

Thank you for your kind words regarding our teams friendliness, the incidents incurred were due to miscommunication and we will be sure to address these issues.

We look forward to be granted the opportunity in welcoming you back when next your travel brings you to Cape Town and to rectify this unpleasant experience by creating memorable ones.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in September. Was placed in very nice room on lower level with brilliant sea views (room 9) - unfortunately this room is a bit noisy being placed next to the bar and also with noises coming from the kitchen throughout the night. Asked a few times for the music to be turned down from the bar area and eventually got it right. Breakfast was ok, but seen better. Will go back to hotel, but certainly not that room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear NomNomCpt,

We appreciate you taking the time to deliver your comments regarding your recent stay at The Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel.
Your feedback given is important and will be constructively dealth with.

We trust that this will not deter you from visiting our property again in the near future and where we will be granted the opportunity of exceeding your expectations.